Gillette Stadium will have fans in 2021

2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Agree on the role of parenting in a child’s education. But the No Child Left Behind act and Obama’s subsequent follow-up placed too much of an emphasis on standardized testing and not enough emphasis on class time. One suffers so another can happen since there are only so many hours in a day. My wife is a speech pathologist in the school systems. She works in an elementary school. These kids have been testing for two straight weeks and missing class time and therapy sessions. Testing shouldn’t be taken out altogether but an over-emphasis on testing isn’t good. You went to college so you know as well as I do that all you do for a test is memorize the material enough to regurgitate it. Most of the learning takes place during lectures in a class setting.

My wife has been a high school English teacher for over 30 years.. not a fan of standardized testing but she doesn’t teach to the test...the curriculum doesn’t emphasize test based lessons here

KontradictioN

Probably the nicest guy on the forum
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
My wife has been a high school English teacher for over 30 years.. not a fan of standardized testing but she doesn’t teach to the test...the curriculum doesn’t emphasize test based lessons here
Those tests are heavy on English and Math. If they aren’t emphasizing test-based lessons then what are they emphasizing? Not disagreeing with you. I have no clue how Massachusetts does it vs a lot of the other states. Just curious.

In general, though, that amount of testing is not conducive to learning. For kids, it’s lecture and hands-on projects. When I was a kid, we had to design a map of the US with the locations of each state’s Capitol. I don’t think they even teach Geography in public schools down here. At least they don’t in Duval County. History is also falling by the wayside. That’s not good. If that’s the case in even, say, 60% of the US, you will have a generation that doesn’t know history, the mistakes that were made, what happened, and the lessons learned. You also have to adjust for the kids who just simply don’t care about that subject. Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. You can make a lot of parallels right now in this country with the build up to the Civil War.

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I think the discourse in this thread has been pretty respectful and educational thus far. A few hiccups here and there, but mostly a productive thread.

You're right, for the most part. Still, I see people clinging to Pub and Dem talking points like they're holy scriptures. Could just be my perspective.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Those tests are heavy on English and Math. If they aren’t emphasizing test-based lessons then what are they emphasizing? Not disagreeing with you. I have no clue how Massachusetts does it vs a lot of the other states. Just curious.

In general, though, that amount of testing is not conducive to learning. For kids, it’s lecture and hands-on projects. When I was a kid, we had to design a map of the US with the locations of each state’s Capitol. I don’t think they even teach Geography in public schools down here. At least they don’t in Duval County. History is also falling by the wayside. That’s not good. If that’s the case in even, say, 60% of the US, you will have a generation that doesn’t know history, the mistakes that were made, what happened, and the lessons learned. You also have to adjust for the kids who just simply don’t care about that subject. Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it. You can make a lot of parallels right now in this country with the build up to the Civil War.
My guess is that what is learned here by standard means over the years far exceeds any litmus test by standardized testing. In my town, >95% of the kids routinely score advanced on MCAS.....so there’s really no reason to teach to the test.....if you commit yourself to being an ‘educational parent’ (and I very strongly urge you to do so), it won’t matter what they teach at school......your kids will ace their way right through an advanced degree.Be very hands on with their development and they will understand clearly that ‘this is important’ ... outside of advanced calculus, they’ll know everything they need to kick ass in this world. I have 4 kids....the 2 oldest missed out being valedictorian and salutatorian by 2 Asian kids ... they were #3 and #4 and they weren’t even paying attention to class rank. My 2 oldest now have advanced degrees, my 3rd will have his MSA by the end of his 4th year(this spring) and my youngest is off getting her PhD at UofW Seattle in biomedical engineering. I wound up spending less than it would cost to send one person to BC for 4 years because of their work in HS not what they got from their teachers.

don’t get caught up in the politics of education.....focus on the core message ‘do your best at what you’re supposed to be doing, don’t compare yourself to others, and everything will work out well’

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
You're right, for the most part. Still, I see people clinging to Pub and Dem talking points like they're holy scriptures. Could just be my perspective.
It’s a reasonable perspective .... people can’t even agree on why people wear masks during a pandemic. People are shooting others over being told to wear a mask. I think that’s a little beyond D vs R

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
My guess is that what is learned here by standard means over the years far exceeds any litmus test by standardized testing. In my town, >95% of the kids routinely score advanced on MCAS.....so there’s really no reason to teach to the test.....if you commit yourself to being an ‘educational parent’ (and I very strongly urge you to do so), it won’t matter what they teach at school......your kids will ace their way right through an advanced degree.Be very hands on with their development and they will understand clearly that ‘this is important’ ... outside of advanced calculus, they’ll know everything they need to kick ass in this world. I have 4 kids....the 2 oldest missed out being valedictorian and salutatorian by 2 Asian kids ... they were #3 and #4 and they weren’t even paying attention to class rank. My 2 oldest now have advanced degrees, my 3rd will have his MSA by the end of his 4th year(this spring) and my youngest is off getting her PhD at UofW Seattle in biomedical engineering. I wound up spending less than it would cost to send one person to BC for 4 years because of their work in HS not what they got from their teachers.

don’t get caught up in the politics of education.....focus on the core message ‘do your best at what you’re supposed to be doing, don’t compare yourself to others, and everything will work out well’
Yeah, I’m the first person in my family with even a Bachelors, let alone an MBA. My wife has her Master’s as well. I also minored in Finance and went through school my first time around for a Communications degree, which I quickly soured on. Parents told me they were only paying for one, so it was either go the student loan route, the military, or pay for my own way through business school. I found a company who reimbursed the tuition and books (up to 50%) and worked full time through it. I’m still with them. Took me 6 long years where, at times, I would get so stressed that I’d have a seizure (woke up with my head through the drywall the first time and my dog licking my face... that was fun). I had no history of seizures. Doctor said they were stress-related. So we have a lot of lessons to pass down to our daughter and next kid and we both plan to be very hands-on with their education. I’ll make damn sure they both know history and have an appreciation for it.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Yeah, I’m the first person in my family with even a Bachelors, let alone an MBA. My wife has her Master’s as well. I also minored in Finance and went through school my first time around for a Communications degree, which I quickly soured on. Parents told me they were only paying for one, so it was either go the student loan route, the military, or pay for my own way through business school. I found a company who reimbursed the tuition and books (up to 50%) and worked full time through it. I’m still with them. Took me 6 long years where, at times, I would get so stressed that I’d have a seizure (woke up with my head through the drywall the first time and my dog licking my face... that was fun). I had no history of seizures. Doctor said they were stress-related. So we have a lot of lessons to pass down to our daughter and next kid and we both plan to be very hands-on with their education. I’ll make damn sure they both know history and have an appreciation for it.

the most important lesson should be that stress does no good. I know it may not have been in your control, but the lesson of grabbing the bull by the horns and doing your best ... I asked the simple question 'did you do your best?' meaning mostly 'were you prepared?' in the beginning, they said they were but knew we were skeptical so over time, the procrastination went away and by the night before a big exam, they would spend simply reviewing what they already knew. They learned by their own example that the easiest path to success is to address learning when it's most effective to do it (things ingrain quite easily the same day of the lesson) rather than the at the critical moment (the night before exam).

All I know is that in this world, the bar keeps going up in terms of what you need to learn to be a 'professional' ... With that in mind, the overlying theme to my kids is that they can argue that money may not buy you happiness, but that I can promise them that they will be miserable if they are broke

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
When you want to end racism so badly that you accidentally end up having a segregated graduation.

By the way, why the need for Latinx? Why not just call it a Latin American or Latin graduation? I think it’s pretty commonly understood that when you call someone Latin, you’re referring to someone from South or Central America and not to a language that’s been on life support for decades.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
When you want to end racism so badly that you accidentally end up having a segregated graduation.

By the way, why the need for Latinx? Why not just call it a Latin American or Latin graduation? I think it’s pretty commonly understood that when you call someone Latin, you’re referring to someone from South or Central America and not to a language that’s been on life support for decades.

Give ‘em points for trying......meanwhile

KontradictioN

PatsFans.com Supporter
Give ‘em points for trying......meanwhile

Heh. Broke people eat more McDonald’s. The dollar goes a lot further there than it does at the grocery store.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Heh. Broke people eat more McDonald’s. The dollar goes a lot further there than it does at the grocery store.

I don't think that's true........you can make a Pasta bolognese dinner for 4 for $6......you can make chicken anything for dirt cheap too......you can get a roasted chicken for $5