Giants Bears game on the 12th Flexed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowpointer

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Updated: Oct. 24, 2006, 2:34 PM ET
NFL flexes, to move Bears-Giants to Sunday nightAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- The Chicago Bears' game against the New York Giants at the Meadowlands on Nov. 12 was switched Tuesday by the NFL from an afternoon to a night game, the first under the flexible scheduling format implemented in the new television contract.

The 8:30 p.m. ET game will be televised by NBC instead of Fox. Under the format, the Sunday night time slot had been left vacant, with CBS and Fox each allowed to protect five afternoon games over seven weeks of the season. Each has chosen four and will pick one more.

Chicago (6-0) is one of two unbeaten teams in the NFL and will be favored to be 8-0 when it goes to Giants Stadium. The Bears' next two games are at home against San Francisco (2-4) and Miami (1-6).

The Giants (4-2) have won three straight, including Monday night's 36-22 win in Dallas, and lead the NFC East. Their next two games are at home against Tampa Bay and Houston, both 2-4.

As part of the schedule shuffle, New Orleans' game at Pittsburgh will be moved from a 1 p.m. ET start to 4:15 on Fox.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Crowpointer said:
Updated: Oct. 24, 2006, 2:34 PM ET
NFL flexes, to move Bears-Giants to Sunday nightAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- The Chicago Bears' game against the New York Giants at the Meadowlands on Nov. 12 was switched Tuesday by the NFL from an afternoon to a night game, the first under the flexible scheduling format implemented in the new television contract.

The 8:30 p.m. ET game will be televised by NBC instead of Fox. Under the format, the Sunday night time slot had been left vacant, with CBS and Fox each allowed to protect five afternoon games over seven weeks of the season. Each has chosen four and will pick one more.

Chicago (6-0) is one of two unbeaten teams in the NFL and will be favored to be 8-0 when it goes to Giants Stadium. The Bears' next two games are at home against San Francisco (2-4) and Miami (1-6).

The Giants (4-2) have won three straight, including Monday night's 36-22 win in Dallas, and lead the NFC East. Their next two games are at home against Tampa Bay and Houston, both 2-4.

As part of the schedule shuffle, New Orleans' game at Pittsburgh will be moved from a 1 p.m. ET start to 4:15 on Fox.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

I'm wondering if this makes it more likely that our game against Chicago stays in the afternoon.

Tunescribe said:
I'm wondering if this makes it more likely that our game against Chicago stays in the afternoon.
I would think so . That would make 4 primetime games for the Bears (they played Seattle on a Sunday night and AZ on a Monday night and they play St Louis on December 11th on MNF. I don't think they(the Bears ) can have any more primetime games.They still might move the game to 4:15 but that still is better then the getting home after 1:00 from the night games.

Crowpointer said:
I would think so . That would make 4 primetime games for the Bears (they played Seattle on a Sunday night and AZ on a Monday night and they play St Louis on December 11th on MNF. I don't think they(the Bears ) can have any more primetime games.They still might move the game to 4:15 but that still is better then the getting home after 1:00 from the night games.
According to PFT a few weeks ago, the rule is 5 appearances per team max (except that up to three teams may make 6).

At the same time, PFT stated that the first few flex games had already been chosen yet not announced, and said that Giants Bears on Nov 12 would be the Sunday night game (which has now proven to be correct). Supposedly Indy-Phil will be the Sunday night game the day we play the Bears, and we will have the Sunday night game two weeks later at Miami. Quite possibly these are tentative and can be changes, but since this is the first year of flexible scheduling we don't know if that's true.

My guesses for the rest of the flexed games..

Week 11: Indy at Dallas
Week 12: Chicago at NE
Week 13: Minnesota at Chicago
Week 14: Denver at San Diego *
Week 15: Philly at Giants *
Week 17: Pitts at Cinny

* if these games aren't moved, I bet that they were protected by the networks. CBS and FOX were allowed to protect 5 games each over the seven weeks, but not more than one game in any week. I'm guessing if they had to pick the games early, these would have been "no brainers" to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back