PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giant Shaun O'Hara admits to choking Seymour in "helmet catch" SB LXII...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Shaun O'Hara admitted to grabbing Seymour by the trachea during the scramble by Eli that led to the "helmet catch" during Superbowl LXII.. interesting admission, if the refs caught that penalty we would have been 19-0 and raising the 6th banner..

Put an asterisk * next to that win by the Giants..

Giants Shaun O’Hara confirms he choked Richard Seymour on Eli Manning’s Super Bowl scramble

But as Manning kept moving his feet and staying alive, struggling to break free from the grasp of both New England rushers, a desperate O'Hara slid his gloved right hand onto Seymour's throat. "I said, 'Screw it,'" the Giants center would recall. "I was squeezing his trachea as hard as I could and not letting go." Choked by a 300-pound man, Seymour was temporarily disabled for the split-second that allowed Manning to get away. O'Hara gambled that the officials would miss his WWE move, and miss it they sure as hell did. If they threw a flag there, the Patriots would have ended up 19-0.

"There's holding on every play."

Blah blah blah.

There's holding and there's HOLDING. Holding is grabbing a little jersey, having your hands outside the pads, etc. HOLDING is what the Falcons did to Long in the SB, literally grabbing him around the neck. HOLDING is what O'Hara did to Seymour.

People sometimes wonder how the heck Eli got out of that. I'll tell you how. Seymour was about to bury him but the offensive lineman of the Giants (O'Hara) literally grabbed him by the neck and pulled him away. Right in front of the refs.

eli-neartackle.jpeg

Seymour wasn't the only Pats D lineman being held on that play. Watch the vid and you'll see the ref reach for the flag in his back pocket and then decide NOT to throw his flag.

Carey, who retired after the 2013 season, recently told Tony Siragusa of Yahoo Sports that under normal circumstances, he would have blown the play dead when defenders grabbed Manning, who appeared ready to go down.

But Carey, who normally stood several yards behind the quarterback to his front side, scrambled around behind Manning on that play.

"For some reason, I don't know why, I ran all the way around (behind Manning)," Carey told Siragusa. "I just got lucky, and as I got there, they were pulling him back. Had I stayed (in front of Manning), I would have just seen him collapse into a pile. But I got a look in there, and I saw him free up, he launches it, and the rest is history."

You can see Carey scramble into position in this video:

“Had I stayed (in my original position), I think the outcome would have been different,” Carey said. “I probably would have blown the whistle.”

Just imagine if Carey had blown the whistle. Instead of a 32-yard completion, first down and instant-hero status for Tyree, the Giants would have faced fourth and long in their own territory. But it happened, and four plays later, Manning hit Plaxico Burress with a 13-yard TD pass to give the Giants a 17-14 lead with 35 seconds to play. They held on to win and end the 18-0 Patriots' dreams of a perfect season.

After retiring from officiating, Carey served as a rules analyst on NFL broadcasts.

Ex-ref: David Tyree's incredible catch that sank Patriots in Super Bowl almost whistled dead

They let him get away, holding or not.
Make the tackle, but they didn't. Giants deserved that game they kicked our @ss. Now of course 2 recent SB's make that easier to say.

Can anyone imagine the outcry if the officials called holding on that play and wiped out the "helmet catch?" Giants fans and the NY media would make Raiders fans' opinion of the tuck rule seem measured and reserved.

An underrated missed call in that game was an OPI on Toomer that helped set up the Giants first score. He just shoved the Patriots DB away from him so he could make a catch along the sideline.

Still, if Pierre Woods just laid on the fumble he recovered and didn't try to get up, the Patriots win that game.

Can anyone imagine the outcry if the officials called holding on that play and wiped out the "helmet catch?" Giants fans and the NY media would make Raiders fans' opinion of the tuck rule seem measured and reserved.

An underrated missed call in that game was an OPI on Toomer that helped set up the Giants first score. He just shoved the Patriots DB away from him so he could make a catch along the sideline.

Still, if Pierre Woods just laid on the fumble he recovered and didn't try to get up, the Patriots win that game.
And if Asante Samuel didn't get his fingers greasy - that prick. Anyway, it's all water under the bridge.

If the situations were reversed, and the Patriots had been scrambling for a comeback with that play blown dead, this forum would have went nuclear screaming "Its the Super Bowl! Let them play!".

At first glance, I thought the non-holding call on Jarvis Green was worse than the one on Seymour.

At first glance, I thought the non-holding call on Jarvis Green was worse than the one on Seymour.
There was holding all over the place on that play. Green practically got raped.

We could have won or lost any one of the Brady Superbowls. They were all that close.

They let him get away, holding or not.
Make the tackle, but they didn't. Giants deserved that game they kicked our @ss. Now of course 2 recent SB's make that easier to say.

Seems to me that you're missing the importance of the second portion of your sentence. Because of that, your post is ridiculous.

I don't want the 2007 Lombardi trophy, but to me it validates any close call that has helped us win. I have moved on, and concede 2 SBs to the giants.......but if anyone brings up the tuck rule (which was actually the right call that time), I have the right to laugh in their face and walk away without saying a word.

Basically, those two lost superbowls (BBera) only justifies our right to the 5 that we won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back