PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garcia health update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he lose weight? He was already undersized and needed to put on 20-30 lbs. Hope this illness didn't hamper those efforts.

It's been reported that Garcia was down to 260 lbs at one point, but that he's been gaining it back quickly.

Got to see him a couple of weeks before his death in an epic “rain set” at Three Rivers stadium. I was just a kid. 20+ years makes me feel old as hell.
Were you in to Alicia Silverstone too? :D

A quick google search shows she's aging a lot better than Jerry did!

I should hope so.

And now I'm older than Jerry Garcia was when he died...uh oh.

It's only encouraging if the clotting risk is not chronic, ala Chris Bosh, the NBA player who has not been medically cleared to play because he has to stay on anti-clotting meds. Hopefully there was a non-genetic cause that has been identified and fixed.
I hear you : but if his career is even close to as successful as Bosh's, huge win.

All I read during camp was that he needed to bulk up to be an NFL lineman.

Hopefully this was why and he makes a full recovery.

Very scary, but luckily he is ok. I just wonder how it will be getting him back into football shape.
My guess is 5,000 calories per day spread over several meals and hours spent in the weight room.

My guess is 5,000 calories per day spread over several meals and hours spent in the weight room.

Yes, sumo wrestlers know how to gain weight.

The issue is for him being in the same football shape he was before the injuries. I presume that Garcia was in top football shape for at least 10 years, playing a season of football every year.

A year off is a serious problem, especially when he lost his rookie year of getting NFL habits and physical understanding of plays and blocking.

Did he lose weight? He was already undersized and needed to put on 20-30 lbs. Hope this illness didn't hamper those efforts.

Just like TFB has his guru, I'd send a message to Garcia telling him to adopt Vince Wilfork as his guru. Those massive delicious ribs the Wilfork family are always cooking up make me hungry.

A year off is a serious problem, especially when he lost his rookie year of getting NFL habits and physical understanding of plays and blocking.

Do we actually have any evidence that he was not doing anything football related for the entire year ? I mean just because he was not medically cleared to bulk up it doesn't automatically follow that he was not reading up on all protection schemes, working on footwork or arm techniques..

Do we know it really was a lost year for him and not closer to somewhat of a redshirt year ?

Do we actually have any evidence that he was not doing anything football related for the entire year ? I mean just because he was not medically cleared to bulk up it doesn't automatically follow that he was not reading up on all protection schemes, working on footwork or arm techniques..

Do we know it really was a lost year for him and not closer to somewhat of a redshirt year ?

I imagine, he was doing some footwork things, but i'm not sure how IR etc works

Yes, sumo wrestlers know how to gain weight.

The issue is for him being in the same football shape he was before the injuries. I presume that Garcia was in top football shape for at least 10 years, playing a season of football every year.

Yeah, he may not have entirely regained his previous conditioning level by the start of 2018 Camp. However, he just turned 24 in December, so he should be pretty close by then. We're not talkin' about Alan Branch here.

Jelks, OTOH, apparently hasn't even practiced much since sometime in early 2015.

I imagine, he was doing some footwork things, but i'm not sure how IR etc works

AFAIK, physically practicing with the team is the only thing not allowed for a player on IR. Film sessions, game-planning meetings, re-habbing and working out at the team facility are all ok, I believe.

Reports were that he was regularly seen at the facilities towards the end of last season and definitely has some bulking up to do, but it’s good news that he is back on track.

It's been reported that Garcia was down to 260 lbs at one point, but that he's been gaining it back quickly.
People talk about Garcia like he is done for. As if a dude in his early 30’s with a professional training staff and access to chef’s & nutritionists can’t pack back on 40 lbs. It’s easy as hell. I remind myself of that every time I look in the mirror! ;) If he’s healthy enough to play, he’ll play. If he can’t pack on the weight, we’ll just plug his ass in at TE.:D

So he had a pulmonary embolism? He's lucky that it didn't kill him. Those are no joke.

If he can’t pack on the weight, we’ll just plug his ass in at TE.

I was speed-reading through the last part of your comment because the phone rang, and I mistakenly read it as, "If he can’t pack on the weight, we’ll just plug his ass with a TE."

The first 60 seconds of that phone call was me laughing.

I was speed-reading through the last part of your comment because the phone rang, and I mistakenly read it as, "If he can’t pack on the weight, we’ll just plug his ass with a TE."

The first 60 seconds of that phone call was me laughing.
Now that is some funny **** right there. But if Garcia turns out to be an absolute waste of a pick, you might be on to something! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes