PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread: Titans/Chiefs and Falcons/Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, it's not just being tipped by a defender that renders everyone on the offense eligible. If it bangs off an eligible receiver, it's fair game then too.

You cannot self-pass in the NFL.
Where's the rule that makes that illegal? There is nothing in the official rulebook (see Rule 8, Section 1, Articles 5-8) that says an eligible receiver cannot legally catch his own legal forward pass. In fact, the definition of the "Illegal Touching of Forward Pass" penalty specifically says it's only illegal if the ball is first touched or caught by an originally ineligible player (or one who went OOB not as the result of a defensive foul and was the first to touch).

And there is no language saying that an eligible receiver who throws a forward pass is now an ineligible receiver, either.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2
For what it's worth, it's not just being tipped by a defender that renders everyone on the offense eligible. If it bangs off an eligible receiver, it's fair game then too.
Good point.

Actually, "eligible receiver" includes the defense. The definition of eligible receiver starts with "Defensive players", in fact.

The crazy thing is that if the refs had called the Mariota fumble as fumble, that game could have been much different. The refs are just terrible.
Well if the refs had called the Kelce fumble a fumble, then things would have changed as well. KC fans can blame the refs all they want (it's literally in the fans' Bill of Rights), but over a long season, you get as many of those calls FOR you as well. Fans just never remember the "good ones".

BTW- feel free to remind of this post the next time I go ballistic when the refs blow a call against the Pats. ;)

Does anyone know who it was in the post-game show that was crying about the play being called dead on the 2 point conversion attempt by the Titans? I understand that had that been ruled a fumble the Chiefs would have scored 2 and taken a 23-22 lead, but the crying seemed odd for a closing statement.

am i wrong to say that CHIEFS and RAMS out is good news for us ?

no Kelce no Chiefs...Rams looked evaporated...pity as i enjoyed their run

am i wrong to say that CHIEFS and RAMS out is good news for us ?

no Kelce no Chiefs...Rams looked evaporated...pity as i enjoyed their run

na, chiefs out is definitely good. They were the one team that had enough play-makers that they could give us trouble in the divisional round. Titans are a much better/easier matchup.

I think now we want JAX to win because they have the best chance of upsetting the steelers.

I've stopped rooting for the bad teams to win (like Tennessee and Atlanta) to make it "easier" for NE. I wanted the Giants in 2007 and 2011, wanted the Jets in 2010 and Baltimore in 2012. I've learned my lesson.

Patriots SB victory margins (best recollection):
6 (OT)
Notice any that were not competitive?

Assuming your post isn't sarcasm then you are conspicuously wrong. Every game from here on is competition including the Titans(who just completed a pretty damn good comeback on a pretty good D). And almost certainly the competition will get more difficult with each game.
If the Patriots (From Brady to the OL to the DL to the secondary) don't show up playing among their best possible football? They are vulnerable to any playoff competition not named the Bills. And from what I've seen the Patriots playing among their best football is by no means guaranteed. Through the last game, the Jets, the Patriots simply were not putting together 4 solid quarters of good execution (recall they pulled out the #1 seed/win against Pitt by a fraction of the skin of their teeth). What Patriots have you been watching that you think there is no real compeition?

The good news is if the Patriots can play among their best on both sides of the ball I like their chances over any team. And even if they don't play among their best they are experienced and savvy enough to still find a way to give themselves a decent chance to win. But every game (Titans, then Jags/Steelers, then Phi/Minn/ATL/??) is likely to be a tooth and nail fight where the Patriots will battle ups and downs but pull out the win (whoa to us if the OL struggles). Yes, I'd expect the Titans game to be sloping downhill earlier 4th quarter while the other two games I'd expect later in the 4th quarter there will be D stops and/or O drives needed to seal the victory or even get the victory.

Relax. The season is over. There's no competition left.

6 time champs!

Going to lock this thread now as the Sunday games thread is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes