SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Bills
Sun
Sep 29th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Defense Dominates
Sunday's win over the Jets was another dominating performance by New England's defense.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Future's not looking good for ESPN

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by raduray, Aug 11, 2017.

1. wizwor

wizwor Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +725
    ---
    It doesn't seem to be working...

[​IMG]

I wish they would go back to their original model of offering a handful of top notch movies repeated a couple times a day.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. 1960Pats

1960Pats PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,044
    ---
    Anyone who knows @Real World knew exactly where he stood before he posted. That's a good thing. More people would also know but some Pats fans had the pofo closed some time ago.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  3. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50,343
    ---

I didn't know the political forum had been closed. Thanks for the info.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,827
    ---
    I'd be fine with the separate political forum still being open here, not sure why it was closed (but I'm guessing there was a good reason).

All I'm saying is I don't want politics in this main forum at all. Period. Even if every single post was something I agreed with such as condemning the Nazi march in Charlottesville, I'd still complain about them due to them being too political and off-topic. I can go to so many other places online for politics besides the New England Patriots message board (where people on both sides rehash the same tired internet arguments and insults over and over).

Not sure why this thread is still open either, it went beyond ESPN days ago and just as a way for people to talk about their agenda, including our moderator (who IMO otherwise does a great job).

5. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +50,343
    ---
  6. TB_Helmet

Ratings:
    +6,827
    ---
    Yeah that's a good point. I'd say it'd be possible to ignore Kaepernick or whoever since they're on other teams. The Lynch / Bennett thread was thankfully taken down. But we even had our very own QB accidentally wade into the political waters recently, as we all know. What to do about that?

The problem is that when the NFL mixes with politics in these cases, someone starts a thread, and it still devolves into the same idiot screaming match, regardless of relevance to the NFL. It's completely unproductive and nobody concedes a point, or learns anything. People just use it to take shots at the other side. So I'm not sure it's useful to keep those political threads around either regardless of the NFL relevance. Your mileage may vary on that though, maybe that's when it's good to "Ignore Thread".

I'd be interested to hear the moderation policy on political threads that are tangentially related to the NFL.

7. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +50,343
    ---
    It used to be that a football w/politics thread that veered too far onto the political side got moved to the political forum. I have no idea why that forum was closed, but, to me, that purpose alone would seem to have made keeping it around worth it. Of course, I say that as someone who doesn't know that went down to get that forum axed, so I'm not saying it as a second guess, but just as a general notion.

That's not really any different from what happens on a high percentage of the regular football threads, though.

8. TB_Helmet

Ratings:
    +6,827
    ---
    For sure, but at least they are Patriots-related, and I feel people have much more intelligent arguments than they do in politics threads, even if they don't concede a point and get aggravated as they argue.

And often we all agree in Patriots threads. No one is taking Goodell's side or likes the Jets. Sure we can get hung up on the long-term plan for Garoppolo , but there are very few other places online I can see that discussion playing out (as opposed to politics).

9. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +50,343
    ---
    You're being far too kind about humans in a group, IMO, but that's a minor thing. However, this is not just a board for Patriots football posting, so your premise seems, to me, to be flawed from that point on.

I'm not sure where you're getting that notion. Outside of certain topics, there's rarely anything approaching unanimity, which is the same as in the political arena. Is the percentage going to be higher for football than for politics? Sure, because the starting point is "Almost exclusively Patriots fans" but, even so, it's a relative rarity.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TB_Helmet

Ratings:
    +6,827
    ---
    True, but 90%+ of all threads on here are related to the Pats, and those that aren't are clearly marked OT or similar. There are a few internet forums I visit regularly (sports, music, video games) and from an empirical standpoint, PatsFans discussions related to the Patriots (i.e. not political or similar) are among the most well-reasoned and insightful that I've seen. I learn much more on here than I do by reading many professional, Patriots-oriented journalists / analysts.

If you go down the threads on the front page, more than 75% won't even have an argument or a debate. Therefore we are all agreeing. 75% is incredibly high for an internet message board. Obviously some topics are harder to debate than others (currently "Pure gold from the Falcons forum" and "Brady reaches out to teen battling cancer" certainly don't have much room for arguing) but my point stands.

Look at "Where the 2016 Patriots had trouble and why". That's just a bunch of fellow Patriots fans dropping knowledge left and right, contributing with long insightful posts, with occasional respectful disagreement and attention to nuance. That's what I really like about this board. Much more than the 100th scorching hot take about whether Kaepernick is disrespecting the flag or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. patman52

patman52 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +530
    ---
    The chart shows them growing still. about 10% in the last three years and HBO Now has tripled in the last 3 years.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Wheelman

Wheelman Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +11,844
    ---
    When GoT ends next year. How much do you think the subscription will drop, though? I think they might take a sizeable hit.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. deroc5050

deroc5050 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,833
    ---
    Well if HBO was smart they would already have a new IP lined up and being worked on right now. I love alot of HBO's content but I watched it already. As far as game of thrones I just buy the whole season once it hits on line digital download.

Netflix and HBO should team up together. HBO can do higher budget high risk shows and netflix can keep doing what its doing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheBostonStraggler

TheBostonStraggler Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +5,967
    ---
    You're semi correct. ESPN is going to lose subscribers due to people without hard coated opinions simply comparing cost/sub content vs cable cut. But the calculation you're missing is the viable option to cable cut yet receive content has allowed consumers to turn away from legacy sub channel content that runs contrary, even antagonistic, to whatever opinion they may hold.

I almost entirely tuned out ESPN several years ago. I watch when the Patriots are on and, maybe, a few NFL games that catch my interest. Since February, for example, I've watched a comparatively small, inexpensive channel versus ESPN (Discovery: Naked & Afraid, Manhunt: The Unabomber) for probably several dozen hours. In that time I've watched ESPN less than an hour (maybe not at all). But ESPN wins! I still have sub package that includes ESPN (complicated HOA thing that means I can't cable cut completely) and this explicitly means ESPN largely wins with me even though I despise it (they make no ad money but they make that fat sub fee /published total sub number). But when the HOA complication is gone, I do have this viable option that cuts out ESPN completely (for me more than anything I tuned them out for their appalling NFL suckup, deflategate propaganda).
    ((though I suppose omnicorp might, though unlikely, beat me to the punch and slim down the package/eliminate ESPN)).

The relatively recent advent of this viable option of cable cutting has made it possible for me to avoid indirect support for ESPN - a channel I avoid purposefully. So while I think you make a fair point the numbers would and will soften for ESPN organically, 'purposefully chosen' softening of ESPN is likely real (to what extent this makes up the overall softening is a ??? - my 'nothing but a guess' is at the very very most in the low teens as a percentage)

15. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +50,343
    ---
    At this moment, we've got 17 threads on the front page that have 20 posts are fewer. In essence, they're not even threads worthy of the label yet.

Of the longer threads (even just 21 posts), we've got

Elliot
    End of roster
    Solder
    Brissett
    SB 51
    Falcons forum
    Other teams preseason
    Today in Patriots history
    ESPN
    Boxing
    Bolden
    T.C. day 14
    Cooks
    Injuries
    Cuts/signings
    Brady
    Jets suck
    Training camp day 13
    Foxboro flu
    Towels

I could break them down individually, but most of those are pretty obvious. There's a whole lot of argument/debate going on.

But there's no sense taking this further, IMO, so have a great weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +8,384
    ---
    If all we strive for from this forum is threads with the most views and responses, then all I/we would have to do is start a new thread on a daily basis that looks something like:

"OT - OMG, (fill in the name of any politician or political analyst) just said/did ..."​

Is that what we really want this website and forum to become?

I am hesitant to equate the number of posts on a thread with its worthiness of being in a team sports forum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,249
    ---
    I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Seemingly every topic in the PoFo forum led to an intense debate. Many, if not the majority, of them were intense mud slingers and may have become too much of a moderation nightmare. I would imagine the moderation time per member ratio was much higher and Ian just thought it wasn't worth it any longer. I'm pretty sure he eluded to that when he shut it down.

I liken the PoFo forum to a continuous game day thread in which the IP addresses from both the Pats and the Jete fans had merged into one site. haha I did find it useful despite the predictable flare ups because there were a few posters, from both sides of the aisle, that offered thoughtful and informative posts. It was a useful forum from that perspective.

Anyways I don't mind political references within football related threads to some extent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,980
    ---
    I like bacon.

and donuts...I like donuts....and pats of butter coated in sugar.

I think a "Patsfans Most Disgusting Member Habits" thread would eventually become the worldwide leader in views and posts given time...:confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Bill Lee

Bill Lee What, me worry? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,746
    ---
    Sure, if it stays that way, but there are many (on both sides of the aisle) who view everything through the lens of politics with the magnification set to the limit, so it inevitably becomes more than that.

People can't just let a bit of banter stay a bit of banter, or so it seems.

Everything even vaguely related to politics must be challenged.

And as being said above, many people use sites like this one as an escape from the toxic political climate we find ourselves in, so it'd be really nice if people stopped pointing out how they feel butthurt because statement X offended their political sensibilities, but it seems that is too much to ask for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +50,343
    ---
    My post wasn't about their worthiness.