SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Bills
Sun
Sep 29th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Defense Dominates
Sunday's win over the Jets was another dominating performance by New England's defense.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Future's not looking good for ESPN

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by raduray, Aug 11, 2017.

1. NashuaPats

NashuaPats In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,834
    ---
    I hardly ever turn on ESPN anymore, but still being excited about Devers' home run last night, I turned on ESPN hoping to see some conversation about it. ESPN was talking about Lynch and Bennett and ESPN2 was talking about Charlottesville. I guess those are better sports subjects than a 20 year old lefty hitting a 103 mph pitch off Chapman, who hadn't given up a homer to a lefty in 6 years, to tie the game in the 9th. If I wanted to watch CNN, I would have turned on CNN. It was a good reminder why I don't watch ESPN anymore.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,226
    ---
    LOL, did you read this before you posted it? Holy ****!;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adam Seward

Adam Seward Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,338
    ---
    Bill did the board a solid and allowed the transformation of Adam Seward the player to Adam Seward the poster. It was a big sacrifice going from an every down player to a situational poster. He told me my role wasn't to go in and try to win every thread but to really step it up when needed, stay focused and to make the posts that need to be made.

• Funny Funny x 7
  4. lurker1965

lurker1965 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,320
    ---
    Me too. But my turning point was their "reality" show where the winner gets to be Sports Center Anchor. They'd do a segment then established announcers would critique them. One contestant did the Williams - DiMaggio debate. He argued the DiMaggio side, but started by saying Williams was great. OK, acknowledging the viewer is not stupid, cool. Stephen A. Smith came down on him for even acknowledging the other side might have a point or two. (Btw, 6 of one and half a dozen for the other, imo. But I think not recognizing either as a great player is obscenely stupid.)

That is when I realized they did not respect viewers who might hold a view contrary to theirs even if it is is obvious like Ted Williams was a goodplayer.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +21,599
    ---
    I watched the Spanish Super Cup yesterday and felt a bit dirty ... but I really enjoyed the game.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. carmelo15

carmelo15 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +700
    ---
    When Bruce Jenner won that award I knew then and there espn will only be watched for games. I'd commit to them though if they fired that guy who screams

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bill Lee

Bill Lee What, me worry? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,746
    ---
    Really? You think capitalism is the best strategy for running the Internet? No problem with Comcast deciding which packets you see and which ones you don't, based on who pays them the most? I for one am dubious...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,827
    ---
    You said this:

Now, if you're actually left-wing or agree with their agenda but you just don't want to watch politics on ESPN, then fair enough, and I apologize for misinterpreting your post. But I'm guessing that's not the case, and it means you're using this thread as a way to tell everyone what side of the aisle you're on.

I do agree with you that your point is in concordance with mine. PatsFans should stick to sports. Unfortunately that's not happening in this thread, and it took 2 days and 16 pages for that Lynch / Bennett abomination to get modded. Hope we can stay away from this garbage once the season starts.

9. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,226
    ---
    And more than a couple of people here have attempted, at times successfully, to turn a sports message board into a political one. And I, for one, dislike that, just as you disliked the ESPN deal.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. XLIX

XLIX Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +12,690
    ---
    So what you're saying is they should focus more on sports and less on slave auctions?

ESPN criticized for fantasy football auction

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! Goodell sucks PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22,117
    ---
    So you're upset that none of ESPN's on-air talent seems to be actively seeking to offend people? ...okay.

I can think of a hundred different reasons why ESPN should be criticized, but that's nowhere near one of them.

12. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +8,384
    ---
    If BSPN's ratings are down primarily due to politics, then why hasn't there been a corresponding increase in ratings for other sports television networks?

In my opinion, the reasons for their drop in ratings are:
    • Technology: use of Smartphones has resulted in people being less reliant on television.
    • Cable Costs: why pay for something you no longer need (cord cutting).
    • Business Plan: too much fluff, screaming scripted debates and contrived controversy in their programming; not enough intelligent analysis and x's and o's.
    • Competition: in conjunction with point #1, devices from laptops to phones are faster and more powerful, and websites have become far more robust. It's easy to find the content a consumer desires on the internet, with comparable quality rather than relying on a television station for sports news that is filled with commercials.

Put it another way: let's say hypothetically that BSPN had been completely apolitical over the last several years. Am I supposed to believe if that had happened then they would not be looking at the loss of subscribers that they are currently faced with? That sports viewers would not cut the cord? That our population as a whole would still be watching television rather than using their phone?

I understand, people don't like the politics. I'm just having a very difficult time buying into the concept that their politics is why people are dropping cable, and using smart phones though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50,343
    ---
    View it as a last straw, rather than as an isolated force.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,432
    ---
    As long as you're getting better with every post BB will be proud.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. lamafist

lamafist Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +134
    ---
    Wow, what an amazing coincidence it is how many people have examined the facts, and reached the reasoned and unmotivated conclusion that the real underlying factor behind ESPN's financial problems just happens to coincide with their own personal politics and/or biggest gripe with the network's programming.

It's uncanny, really... especially considering if one actually took the time to understand the structural nature of the issue at hand, one would realize that in this particular case, even ESPN's ratings and ad revenue for their actual game broadcasts are largely irrelevant, to say nothing of what some curmudgeons on a NFL team's fan site think of their filler content.

In a nutshell, it's the decline in the number of households who *get* ESPN that's the problem, whether they ever watch it or not, that's the problem. And this decline is pretty much entirely caused by the overall drop in cable penetration, in part due to cord-cutters, but even more to younger"cord-nevers" who got used to streaming options in college, and are in no hurry to take on the added expense of a cable subscription after the graduate and enter the workforce. (While so-called "skinny bundles" get brought up a fair bit, their effect on ESPN is actually pretty much negligible, as Disney/ABC is able to use an "all or nothing" policy to bully cable companies into including all their channels in their smallest bundles.)

The reason is a bigger problem for ESPN than your average basic cable channel because ESPN has been able to charge cable providers a much higher per-subscriber licensing fee than anyone else, meaning that these fees, and not ad sales, end up comprising the bulk of their revenue. And the timing of the decline in cable subscribers couldn't have been worse for ESPN, who made some really ill-advised investments in long-term contracts for live sports broadcast licenses, back when DVRs and "time shifting" was the big concern, and live "event" programming considered the solution.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,249
    ---

The irony of someone falsely stating the reasoning behind the deflation of ESPN's subscribers. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. SaCaCh

SaCaCh 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +739
    ---
    In all honesty (against all my wishes) this really has nothing to do with ESPN's product. Television as we know it is about to go away in the next 5-10 years into something we most likely will not recognize. Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Netflix could possibly make a move on the next pro sports broadcasts contracts and change the landscape forever.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,227
    ---
    Please come join other Patsfans.com members to discuss this story, or other political topics, here:

Login Required | Pats Fans Political Forum

Kontra and Manx created a separate website for political talk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. patman52

patman52 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +530
    ---
    But they won't be losing money- which is the direction they are heading to. HBO realized this years ago. They put a wide variety of made for tv shows on and hope to hook you on one and keep you subscribed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. wizwor

wizwor Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +725
    ---
    I'm confident we will recognize television in the next five to ten years. You may be watching it on demand or on a phone, but it will be recognizable as television. Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Netflix aren't going to change television any more than HBO, ESPN, or HSN did. They are just more content aggregators/creators competing for eyes. Which is exactly what ESPN is, why it is about their product, and why they are going down the tubes. ESPN is expensive compared to its competitors and the quality of the product is not obviously worth the premium. Content distributors tried to spread some of the cost to people who would not pay for the product. This made their overall product expensive. People decided to seek alternatives. Right now, more people use an antenna for television than any of the premium providers...

[​IMG]

For the premium providers to retail customers, they need to dramatically improve their product or dramatically reduce their cost. Through the introduction of value or skinny packages, they have slowed the exodus, but that still leaves less people supporting the premium offerings.

• Useful Useful x 1