PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Freeman - Gronk comeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading this thread has led me to doing some thinking about the state of journalism in 2019. Very few of the responses have actually been about Freeman’s article. Most have been a rehash of our opinions as to whether Gronk will unretire or whether he should.

Maybe, in our minds, we are now conditioned to see any media post as being an opinion piece rather than old fashioned reporting. Or maybe, we just see any attempt at reporting as made up internet nonsense and dismiss it as such. I don’t know which it is, but, by the responses in this thread, most just ignored the reporting that there is a belief in the Patriots front office that Gronk will come out of retirement.

This is not the first time I’ve noticed this on the board. Earlier this offseason I posted Greg Bedard’s reporting in the BSJ that “most involved” in the Brady extension discussions didn’t believe the deal couldn’t be finalized until a year had passed since his last redo in August 2018. Some posters vociferously disagreed with my opinion. It wasn’t an opinion people. It was Bedard’s reporting, and it’s looking pretty accurate at this point.

Like Bedard, I’m pretty sure Mike Freeman sees himself as a journalist not a gossip purveyor. The man has been been in the business 30 years and worked for The NY Times and Washington Post when that meant something. It’s a shame so many have just come to ignore all reporting as just gossip based opinion. It’s an even bigger shame we all got too cheap to pay for journalism meant to bring us the truth because we paid for it and professional integrity demanded it and settled for often sensational, opinionated lies that get the clicks the sponsors want.
Real journalism is a almost completely dead. News is big business now (focus on profit and driving viewpoints - which is fine, it's just that they co-mingle news, opinions and there's plenty of "technically accurate" but let's call it biased editing to form a narrative that might not have been present from the speaker).

How comfortable can you be with articles that name, "unnamed people within ...". I've seen first hand accounts of pieces being reported where what is reported/opined to happen didn't actually happen (in the context presented).

CNN had a series about each decade and one of them covered when CNN (itself) became a 24 hours news channel. There was plenty of excellent commentary about the potential downfall of monetizing news and where it would lead. This cycle was foretasted by people who cared about the truth and their profession.

These days you need to listen to both sides to even have a chance of getting to some truth - takes too much work at times.

Real journalism is a almost completely dead. News is big business now (focus on profit and driving viewpoints - which is fine, it's just that they co-mingle news, opinions and there's plenty of "technically accurate" but let's call it biased editing to form a narrative that might not have been present from the speaker).

How comfortable can you be with articles that name, "unnamed people within ...". I've seen first hand accounts of pieces being reported where what is reported/opined to happen didn't actually happen (in the context presented).

CNN had a series about each decade and one of them covered when CNN (itself) became a 24 hours news channel. There was plenty of excellent commentary about the potential downfall of monetizing news and where it would lead. This cycle was foretasted by people who cared about the truth and their profession.

These days you need to listen to both sides to even have a chance of getting to some truth - takes too much work at times.
It hasnt only become slanted reporting on the news to push an agenda it’s actually become selecting the news to report that pushes the agenda and ignoring the news that doesn’t.

During a recent appearance on Barstool Sports’ “Pardon My Take” podcast, the Patriots receiver was asked about whether he believed Gronkowski will come out of retirement. “A percentage? … I’d say, maybe, an 11 percent chance,” Edelman said. … So, you’re saying there’s a chance? Edelman, like all of Patriots nation, hopes we haven’t seen the last of the legendary tight end. “I’m a fan for it,” Edelman said ” … I mean, he’s a valuable player.”

Julian Edelman Puts Percentage On Rob Gronkowski Returning To Patriots

During a recent appearance on Barstool Sports’ “Pardon My Take” podcast, the Patriots receiver was asked about whether he believed Gronkowski will come out of retirement. “A percentage? … I’d say, maybe, an 11 percent chance,” Edelman said. … So, you’re saying there’s a chance? Edelman, like all of Patriots nation, hopes we haven’t seen the last of the legendary tight end. “I’m a fan for it,” Edelman said ” … I mean, he’s a valuable player.”

Sounds like at least one person will be blowing up Gronk's phone all season. Will it work? Stay tuned.

to be honest, if I was in his position and was prudent with the money, I'd be long gone......I'd say 'I've taken enough of a beating and it's time for something else'

If he kept in Jr Seau level shape, you could probably lure him back for a playoff run

If he kept in Jr Seau level shape, you could probably lure him back for a playoff run
I love Gronk, he's one of my all time favorite Patriots but the persistent coverage Pats social media channels are allocating to a now former-Patriot, for some reason, is irking me. He's either a member of the team or he isn't.

I love Gronk, he's one of my all time favorite Patriots but the persistent coverage Pats social media channels are allocating to a now former-Patriot, for some reason, is irking me. He's either a member of the team or he isn't.

Meh don't let it get to you. Gronk creates a buzz taking a dump for crissakes.

It's everyone else that is stirring the pot.

He is no longer a member of the team.

He is not on the roster.

He is on the reserve/retired list.

The NEP have recouped $9m in cap space.

He is gone.

Meh don't let it get to you. Gronk creates a buzz taking a dump for crissakes.

It's everyone else that is stirring the pot.

He is no longer a member of the team.

He is not on the roster.

He is on the reserve/retired list.

The NEP have recouped $9m in cap space.

He is gone.

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

So it doesn't have anything to do with JE11's uniform number? He's a jacka$$. I say a 12 % chance he comes back and 87% he doesn't. 1 % chance of rain.

So it doesn't have anything to do with JE11's uniform number? He's a jacka$$. I say a 12 % chance he comes back and 87% he doesn't. 1 % chance of rain.

Edelman could have been saying it tongue-in-cheek...

What are the odds that he took some ped's to help heal some of his many wounds that he incurred while a player, similar to what Ben Watson did??

Apparently retired players are tested as well, and that alone would put him on the shelf for 4 games.. this is an inane conversation that will go on and on.. the Gronk ship has sailed.

Can he join the Celtics? :eek:

I gather an NBA schedule would be tough on his back too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes