PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeman: NFL Likely to postpone start of 2020 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up with the contracts?
Do the signed players get paid, regardless?
How are the TV contracts structured?
Prepaid TV advertising?
There's a lot to this.

As to what the owners will do, given what we've seen from them on other issues of player safety, I'd bet they'd be willing to open the season without fans in stadiums, and take the small risk that an NFL player, or family member, would die from C19 as a result. They wouldn't say it out loud, but I'd bet that's a calculus they will do in their heads.

Good point. God forbid we listen to the opinions of people who actually studied the subject and work in that field for a living. We’d all rather listen to the village idiot.

Do you really think they have any clue where this virus will be by May? If you do, I have a bridge to sell you.

If you're so upset, go complain to the NFL owners and executives. This thread isn't about what we think will or should happen, it's about a media report that the NFL is planning to postpone the season. That report may or may not turn out true, but the point of this thread is to discuss the fact that it was reported.

It's actually not about a media report that the NFL is planning on postponing the season, it's just a report from various GM's saying it may be difficult to start the season on time. I'm sure these are the same GM's that said they were going to push back free agency and the draft but yet neither happened. It's like a lot of you enjoy the doom and gloom scenarios.

It's actually not about a media report that the NFL is planning on postponing the season, it's just a report from various GM's saying it may be difficult to start the season on time. I'm sure these are the same GM's that said they were going to push back free agency and the draft but yet neither happened. It's like a lot of you enjoy the doom and gloom scenarios.

Yep, lots of doom and gloom out there and plenty of people who love to perpetuate it. Pretty nauseating.

Guys let's not get more threads closed down

The money is in the TV contracts and TV ratings. The rating would greatly increase if we are still on lockdown. There are lots of sports that have contracts or can can get better coverage than now, EVEN WITH NO FANS. We were all set to watch the Olympics. Why wouldn't we watch various sports, even if there are no local fans.

For me, the issue is protecting the participants. For many sports (like tennis) this isn't a big deal. For football, this is more of a big deal.
While it’s true that TV money is the majority of revenue, the NFL gets a fixed annual payment and as far as I’m aware there’s no variability in that payment for ratings. If ratings were structurally better forever obviously the league gets a much stronger bargaining position next time TV contracts come up but that’s not the scenario here.

TLDR: NFL doesn’t get paid more if ratings get a 1 year spike

Once again, I have not endorsed or agreed with the owners. You guys just can't read.

I hope all our tough games are cancelled and we get all the easier games just for the lolz from the reaction around the Patriot haters and other fans around the league :)

I hope all our tough games are cancelled and we get all the easier games just for the lolz from the reaction around the Patriot haters and other fans around the league :)

actually I hope we get all of our hard games. Trying to pick high next year :D

Makes sense. I just recently heard of his cordillavirus thing. It seems serious. Be safe out there, you guys.

I'm taking the proper measures now too. They're telling me I can no longer have 50+ get togethers and that I need to limit it to no more than 10 people at once. So now I'm hanging with 26 different sets of 9 people on a 30 minute rotation while awake throughout the day.

#ResponsibleSocializing
Kinda puts a damper on the orgies, doesn’t it?

I really wonder if any pro athlete would want to play without fans. That is a really big ask. But I suppose if they want to get paid ...
I guarantee you there are a lot of athletes who just want to get paid. As crazy as it sounds, some of these millionaires are living paycheck to paycheck, spending money on the come.

I don't know if it is feasible though because even without any fans, a pro football game is still a gathering of a couple hundred people...

What's up with the contracts?
Do the signed players get paid, regardless?
How are the TV contracts structured?
Prepaid TV advertising?
There's a lot to this.

As to what the owners will do, given what we've seen from them on other issues of player safety, I'd bet they'd be willing to open the season without fans in stadiums, and take the small risk that an NFL player, or family member, would die from C19 as a result. They wouldn't say it out loud, but I'd bet that's a calculus they will do in their heads.
I can't imagine the networks are going to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to the NFL if there are no games.

I can't imagine advertisers are going to pay millions and millions to the networks for commercials that were never broadcast.

I can't imagine the teams are going to play the players for not playing.

The NFL does have one advantage, IMHO, in that they are the league that would suffer the least from zero gate. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they wouldn't suffer at all, I'm just saying they are the league which least relies on ticket/stadium revenue.

Greed is a powerful motivator. These players are already risking their long term health and well being just by playing, they may be willing to risk exposure to a virus. If the Commissioner had any brains, which he doesn't, he would sit down right away with ownership and especially with the Union to figure out what everyone wants and is willing to risk.

The rescue package from Congress should provide the team owners and the players with some much needed relief.

Many of the owners can apply for the small business loans that are forgivable if they don't lay anyone off. No one is going to argue that Tampa Bay isn't a small business, for example.

And the players can now apply for unemployment. That few hundred $$ a month will make it possible for some of them to feed their families in this time of need.

The rescue package from Congress should provide the team owners and the players with some much needed relief.

Many of the owners can apply for the small business loans that are forgivable if they don't lay anyone off. No one is going to argue that Tampa Bay isn't a small business, for example.

And the players can now apply for unemployment. That few hundred $$ a month will make it possible for some of them to feed their families in this time of need.
Lol alright I'm out. Wake me up when this is all over. In like two months.

I agree with the sentiment that people are jumping onto this too early.

There are far too many variables that can possibly happen to know what everything will all look like come late summer.

The NFL has until July before they need to seriously consider moving/cancelling anything. No use going with a mindset that everything will be shut down now.

Also, I do think they would play without fans in the stadiums if allowed to do so by that point.

They certainly can all afford now some swag from the TB12 store. Maybe some anti concussion water, the recovery pijamas or whatever other snake oil.

They certainly can all afford now some swag from the TB12 store. Maybe some anti concussion water, the recovery pijamas or whatever other snake oil.
Yup, now that he's not with the Patriots anymore, it's okay to support Tom.

I’ve been putting lime juice in my water and haven’t had a concussion since. Coincidence?

This offseason has not gone at all according to plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down