PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agents - Defense Here Is The Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having two different discussions. I'll enter yours. I agree that the expenditure on Defense in 2020 won't be significant;y different than 2019.

You seem interested in "actual money" numbers. I am much more interested in budgeting and predicting what 2020 cap will be spent on our free agents.

At this stage of the offseason, the actual dollars matter, and the cap numbers mean nothing. The cap only matters when the signings and manipulations began. BB might be able to offer you some insight there, as he knows the direction he want to go. Nobody else really can.

OK, we can agree to disagree.

I think that the cap money available matters a lot, even now. IMO, it makes a huge difference in planning whether we have $10M. $50M or $100M of cap money. Also, who is signed for 2020 (other than fake amounts) makes a huge difference.

At this stage of the offseason, the actual dollars matter, and the cap numbers mean nothing. The cap only matters when the signings and manipulations began. BB might be able to offer you some insight there, as he knows the direction he want to go. Nobody else really can.

OK, we can agree to disagree.

I think that the cap money available matters a lot, even now. IMO, it makes a huge difference in planning whether we have $10M. $50M or $100M of cap money. Also, who is signed for 2020 (other than fake amounts) makes a huge difference.

The cap hits for potential signings don't matter to us until the team has a plan and shows us some signs about how it's going to implement that plan. As for what the cap space is, currently, looking to be, Jason's got that for you.

Team Cap Space: $46,974,319

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

The cap hits for potential signings don't matter to us until the team has a plan and shows us some signs about how it's going to implement that plan. As for what the cap space is, currently, looking to be, Jason's got that for you.

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Yes, I presume that all the regulars use this site regularly, and many never pay him the $20M for extra content.
==============
You seem to be saying that developing a plan for a $46M cap is the same as for $100M or for $10M. As far as "showing us a plan", I don't think that Bill ever does that. If we are waiting for that, we should wait until after the draft.

Yes, I presume that all the regulars use this site regularly, and many never pay him the $20M for extra content.
==============
You seem to be saying that developing a plan for a $46M cap is the same as for $100M or for $10M. As far as "showing us a plan", I don't think that Bill ever does that. If we are waiting for that, we should wait until after the draft.

I'm not saying that, and you've known my posting for long enough that you know better. Why do you play these games every year?

If the team is going to focus on the draft and low end free agents, but wants to sign a big name free agent, it's going to approach its own FA signings differently than if it's decided that keeping the band together is the way to go. And, if the team is going to keep Brady and push forward for another season or two, it might (or might not, but it might) be more inclined to move cap hits forward than if it's going to go with Stidham for a year.

You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this.

While I was thrilled to have a very good defense this year, the sad truth of today's NFL is that if you get on the field against, say, KC, and they execute, they'll drop 30+ on you, period.

Also, if you're built to stop a KC, a Tennessee will run over you. You can't build a defense to assure stopping both a finesse passing game and a power running game - the simple athletics needed are too rare to do it.

In other words, you need a good defense and a very good offense to have a chance in today's NFL.

==============

I forgot to ask about the bold. Is anyone paying him $20m for extra content?

I'm not saying that, and you've known my posting for long enough that you know better. Why do you play these games every year?

If the team is going to focus on the draft and low end free agents, but wants to sign a big name free agent, it's going to approach its own FA signings differently than if it's decided that keeping the band together is the way to go. And, if the team is going to keep Brady and push forward for another season or two, it might (or might not, but it might) be more inclined to move cap hits forward than if it's going to go with Stidham for a year.

You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this.

I agree. However, I disagree with the last sentence.

I'm really hoping that DMac is back. He may be somewhat overpaid, but he is the glue for the secondary. I don't see Harmon as a replacement for him at all.

Harmon would mitigate the loss a little bit, but DMac leaving this secondary would dramatically change things. He covers up a lot of stuff on the defense with his range, speed and smarts. I just remember back in the years before we drafted him, we were desperately searching year after year for a competent safety and there were none to be found. They spent a 1st rounder on Merriweather, and countless 2nd round picks trying to fill that need unsuccessfully until they drafted McCourty and converted him to FS. I don't think he's overpaid at all

I think a lot of what this roster will look like will depend on the outcome of their talks with Brady. I could see dramatic changes in either scenario, but different changes. If Brady leaves, a guy like McCourty isn't quite as key to sign based on his age, since he wouldn't really be a part of any future plans at 33 years old. If Brady stays, then it might make more sense to keep that elite, veteran captain for 1 more year to make another run. At the same time, getting that cap money back from McCourty might be what they need to really improve the offense for Brady, if they feel the drop off in the secondary wouldn't be devastating

Lots of scenarios, so much to think about.. Its one of the fun parts of the offseason, I enjoy watching and speculating on the team building aspects of football

Glad BB is paid to make the decisions and not me

Dmac definitely needs to go. No way they keep him.

Dmac definitely needs to go. No way they keep him.
I won't say definitely but if it's him or Brady I think you have to. Maybe Hightower but you could restructure him and keep him especially if Collins is gone. Dmac is prime to be cut. Dmac or Thuney? Who can we more easily replace? I don't think they would ever pay 12+ for Thuney no matter anyway though. Our dead money for 2020 is pretty high because of AB and a few others. If they were to win that grievance that would help.

I could see the safety situation w/o Chung & DMac. In that scenario, I would predict Harmon & Brooks. But I’d also expect to see Harmon & J Jones. In that scenario, I could see JoeJuan on the first to cover tall receivers or TEs.

Bring Obi up from the practice squad and see what he can do

All I have to say is if we lose McCourty our defense will instantly no longer be elite. By himself eliminates big plays. Great tackler and ridiculous range. He gets boxed out in man coverage but that seems to be his only weakness.

I'd cut Hightower for salary alone and get better run defenders upfront. Our run defense took a massive hit by not having a Trey Flowers or even Bennet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes