PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Hightower tore his pec some time during the 2016 season. In March 2017 when he was a free agent, he had a 55% tear (according to Albert Breer). He reaggravated it in October 2017. My point was that it would have been tough for him to get to 100% between March 2017 and August 2017 for the start of training camp.

Ahh! Sorry! I didn't realize that you were referring to the 2016 injury.

Makes sense, now.

Thanks!

March to August (when training camp starts) is only 5 months. It’s not a long time to heal a serious injury.

Not sure what information you are going by, but everything I've read has said that Non-Surgical pectoral tears (meaning not full) can heal in up to 6-8 weeks. Hightower was already healing by the time he signed his contract. Even still, you're talking 20+ weeks before camp started. . I'm not saying he was FULLY healthy when TC started, but He was closer to 100% than he was 45%. You also seem to forget that HT was on the PUP until the End of August.. An additional 3 weeks.. So, all in all, closer to 24+ weeks than 20 weeks..

AFAIK, the Pats haven't cut anyone yet.

Need to read the entire thread to get the complete numbers.

End of the day the cap space is still $16m in his twitter name so that's what im going by.

HT can do what he wants as far as getting treatment. However, HT does not have the right to determine whether he plays. At the end of the day, BB makes the decision of who gets put on IR or PUP as long as the player has an injury. BB has the authority to tell a player that he cannot play until he’s 100%.

Hightower played his last game of the 2016 season on February 5th, 2017. He didn't sign his new contract until March 15th.

Hightower reported to camp and was put on the TC PUP list on July 24th. He was removed from the TC PUP list on August 22nd.

From February 5th through August 22nd is 28 weeks. (yes I'm updating what I said before).

This idea that you have that there is no possible way that Hightower wasn't 100 % healthy in 28 weeks when he didn't have surgery nor was surgery recommended (as far as we know) just doesn't add up. Players re-injure things all the time despite being healthy. Look at Dion Lewis and his ACL, just as one example.

This idea that you have that BB is magically supposed to know that HT isn't 100% when the Team Doctor cleared him to come off the PUP list is mind-boggling to say the least.

This idea that you have that there is no possible way that Hightower wasn't 100 % healthy in 28 weeks when he didn't have surgery nor was surgery recommended (as far as we know) just doesn't add up. Players re-injure things all the time despite being healthy. Look at Dion Lewis and his ACL, just as one example.

This idea that you have that BB is magically supposed to know that HT isn't 100% when the Team Doctor cleared him to come off the PUP list is mind-boggling to say the least.

Breer seems to imply that the original injury never healed to 100%. Again, I think it was a bad miscalculation by the Pats (whether a decision by BB or the doctors made a bad diagnosis or both) that HT could get through the season. Very unlikely that the injury healed and he just tore it again based Breer's report.

Breer: Hightower's pec muscle was 55 percent torn in March
But TheMMQB.com's Albert Breer doesn't think it could have been a surprise to the Patriots, because he said Hightower had the injury well before he was hurt Sunday against the Falcons.

"[He] failed physicals in March because of this," Breer told Toucher & Rich, referencing free-agent visits Hightower made to the Jets and Steelers. "I know one team found that he had, at that point -- and this is seven months ago now -- had a 55 percent torn pec then.

"So that was why [the Patriots] were very careful with him in the spring, why they were careful with him in the summer. And I think the hope was that they could get through this year with it.

Last edited:
Just because the medical staff says something about a player’s injury doesn’t mean they made the right decision at the time. If they knew HT had a 55% tear, they ought to have known his pec muscle was hanging by a thread. We’re not talking 10 or 15 percent tear here - we’re talking over half the muscle. He should have gotten surgery or rested until it got better.

It is quite ironic how people give Chao **** for actually giving relevent and medically informed opinions on injured players while you just speculate around widely with no clue or experience whatsoever.

55% means **** without the exact medical context. It could be 70% torn and it could still be not a much higher risk of a full tear than at 10% for all we know.

If he was more likely to tear the PEC than not he would have most probably had surgery and started on PUP. Excuse me for trusting medical professionals more than a random forum board poster.

Note: This signing only reduces the Pats cap space by $323k.

Only the top 51 cap hits count against the cap from March 14th through final cutdowns. Bolden's signing at $880k pushes Cole Croston and his $557k cap hit off the bottom of the 51.

Last edited:
It is quite ironic how people give Chao **** for actually giving relevent and medically informed opinions on injured players while you just speculate around widely with no clue or experience whatsoever.

55% means **** without the exact medical context. It could be 70% torn and it could still be not a much higher risk of a full tear than at 10% for all we know.

If he was more likely to tear the PEC than not he would have most probably had surgery and started on PUP. Excuse me for trusting medical professionals more than a random forum board poster.

yes because medical professionals get it right 100% of the time...:rolleyes:

Eifert is definitely worth a call. Maybe a 1 year prove it deal to show he's healthy for a ring and use it as leverage on Bennett.

So, 29 year old former Raven, Pernell McPhee (6'3, 280), has been released by Chicago.

I have no idea if he's fallen off or not, but with 3-4 experience, this could be a leverage piece with James Harrison's assumed interest in returning to the Pats.

So, 29 year old former Raven, Pernell McPhee (6'3, 280), has been released by Chicago.

I have no idea if he's fallen off or not, but with 3-4 experience, this could be a leverage piece with James Harrison's assumed interest in returning to the Pats.

Major knee injury in 2016 that required a 2nd surgery before 2017 training camp. PFF (yeah, I know) still claimed he was an average defender in 2017 until a shoulder injury knocked him out to IR in December. I'd love to kick the tires here regarding his health.

Major knee injury in 2016 that required a 2nd surgery before 2017 training camp. PFF (yeah, I know) still claimed he was an average defender in 2017 until a shoulder injury knocked him out to IR in December. I'd love to kick the tires here regarding his health.

Yeah, I am just saying, maybe a call and just gauging interest if it makes sense. He could have been cut simply for the reasons you mention, but a lower cost to us, may make sense if he's all the way back.

Chicago is technically rebuilding.

Buffalo just signed Vontae Davis, per Schefty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back