PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling they move on from Solder

I'm not sure if Solder would even want to leave, especially with his son being ill. Might be to stressful on the family so Solder may want to stay. I'd like him to stay so we can groom Garcia a bit more.

Free agency is not really going to solve our D woes. Maybe a trade or more can help a bit. We have to get lucky in this next draft and hopefully hit some starters.

We draft near last yet again. Long term success has disadvantages, as we saw those disadvantages come out in full force on Sunday. Tom Brady has managed to hide many of the Pats faults for some years, but he can only do so much.

Thankfully we have some returning from IR like Hightower so not all is bad. Just hope we hit some big ones in the draft with what we have.

Will have to disagree about needing to hit in the draft. Obviously that's the goal but I don't think it's the point where they need their picks on defense to be Week 1 starters or else they are screwed.

Pats were without 6 guys that would most likely would have saw the field in the SB

Hightower
McClellin
Valentine
Rivers
C. Jones
J. Jones (an injury that is being underestimated as he would have been out there over Richards and Bademosi and has shown he can play)

I know a guy like Cyrus Jones hasn't really done anything but I think the punt return stuff really got in his head last year.

I don't think it's even a debate if Hightower, Valentine, McClellin, Rivers and J.Jones are playing in that SB Pats defense would have made enough stops to win that game.

Hightower #1 LB and the best pass rushing LB
McClellin #3 LB
Rivers #2 DE (reports was he looking good in camp)
Valentine #3 DT
J. Jones #4/#5 CB
C. Jones #4/#5 CB

Just no way around the defense got hurt by injuries this year.

Tyler Eifert is a target I think. Especially if Bennett or Allen get cut or don’t reconstruct their contracts.

Linebackers I feel will be a Draft selections as there’s no one in this current free agency that has the athletical ability that we need.

Pass rushing DT is Sheldon Richardson.

Corner there’s a couple in the draft we can potentially look at getting.

Cousins,
Lets talk under the rock BB types no one is mentioning. There is one LB who is unsigned for 2018 and under the radar. He is fast, big and has athleticism. Can play ILB or OLB. When he was on the field surrounded by a good cast, the Team only allowed 2.94 yards per rush. He was second in NFL tackles in 2016 and made the Pro Bowl the last two years. The Team just signed their other LB so can it sign two to contracts? Plus a new quarterback to a four year extension at big money. He made 127 tackles last year and can cover. McCourty is our top tackler with 97.

He's only 28. ............Zach Brown Cousins.

He will cost you Hightower money but cheaper value in 2018. Ogletree is $10.7mm. Telvin Smith is $11.3mm. Mark Barron (no Pro Bowls) is $9mm (Maybe that would work).

Unlike Hightower, he has only missed two games in five years.
7 INTs and 19 PBU....not bad for a MLB.4.4 40 yard time!A 3 Down ILB.
How about him Sunday instead of Van Noy or Roberts?

Am I down on Van Noy? No. ....Think Hightower Van Noy and MLB Brown as your three LBs in 2018.

I would resign James Harrison to a Team friendly deal. He proved he had something left. He was one of the few decent players for the Pats Sunday and can help with the kids. Seems the Team(locker room) really likes him. 20 snaps a game(?). Not many tough guys on the D now. We need him.

In favor of keeping Bennett. Reduces Gronks snaps to keep him fresh yet production still happens. Tyler Eifert for sure if Bennett retires

Now more Edge/OLB? Under the radar? Lets go Redskins again on the cheap. Trent Murphy. 6'6" and 260. in 2016 9 sacks and 3 Forced fumbles . Why cheap? ACL last August in preseason game (popped for PD for 4 games). Led the nation in sacks in '13 when he started all 14 games at OLB and registered 62-23.5-15 with six pass breakups, an interception return for a touchdown, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. Also was used with his hand in the dirt in nickel. Team captain. Led Nation in sacks at 15 in 2015 at Stanford(smart guy except PD!) 4.8 40 and a BB favorite 6.78 3 cone.

In F/A, I am in favor of resign of Solder, Lewis, Amendola, Fleming (well liked by the Team. Although Waddle usually got the start over him).

F/A Maybes? Ebner, Burkhead, Slater

The rest of the F/A can walk

Cutting: Allen, Branch Gillislee (BB might not want that),McClellan, Richards

At CB I am going hard into the Draft but want at least one vet between Fuller, Melvin or Dennard(most CAP reasonable)

Draft? LB depth, Edge depth and CBs. BB will trade #31. Cards might be a possibility if they don't trade for AZ college hero Foles (logical)? Pats get #15 in second and #15 in third from Cards. For AZ QB picks Jackson or Rudolph.

Love to have Vea at #43 in the second but he's gone. I think we have a shot with DL Taven Bryan at #43 and LB Vander Esch at #47 both with speed for the slow Pats D and at second round pick #63 Harrison Phillips DE/DT with speed and motor. At third round #79 pick I go Dallas Goedert TE and the #95 pick in round 3 QB Kyle Lauletta. 4th Round COMPS I go Alex Cappa OT with mean streak, and small college but tall (6'1") Cliff Harris award winning CB Michael Joseph. In the 6th 6'3" CB returner Holton Hill (bad boy with skill) from Texas (Bill wants big CB's I guess)and in the 7th an RB like Auburn's Kamryn Pettway who was hurt in 2017 mostly but led the SEC in yards per game in 2016. He is 235 lbs with speed. Think injured RB Curtis Martin.

Would F/A TE Jimmy Graham be crazy at WR in red zone?

Now for Tabu. I would trade McCourty for the right pick. Harmon has more ball skills.
DFW Toys

Last edited:
Will have to disagree about needing to hit in the draft. Obviously that's the goal but I don't think it's the point where they need their picks on defense to be Week 1 starters or else they are screwed.

Pats were without 6 guys that would most likely would have saw the field in the SB

Hightower
McClellin
Valentine
Rivers
C. Jones
J. Jones (an injury that is being underestimated as he would have been out there over Richards and Bademosi and has shown he can play)

I know a guy like Cyrus Jones hasn't really done anything but I think the punt return stuff really got in his head last year.

I don't think it's even a debate if Hightower, Valentine, McClellin, Rivers and J.Jones are playing in that SB Pats defense would have made enough stops to win that game.

Hightower #1 LB and the best pass rushing LB
McClellin #3 LB
Rivers #2 DE (reports was he looking good in camp)
Valentine #3 DT
J. Jones #4/#5 CB
C. Jones #4/#5 CB

Just no way around the defense got hurt by injuries this year.

Agree, completely here. The other thing we didn't factor in was the fact Alan Branch had a dreadful season and done something to upset BB.

This Years draft i still think we are looking at a mainly Defensive draft again.

Cousins,
Lets talk under the rock BB types no one is mentioning. There is one LB who is unsigned for 2018 and under the radar. He is fast, big and has athleticism. Can play ILB or OLB. When he was on the field surrounded by a good cast, the Team only allowed 2.94 yards per rush. He was second in NFL tackles in 2016 and made the Pro Bowl the last two years. The Team just signed their other LB so can it sign two to contracts? and a new quarterback to a four year extension at big money. He made 127 tackles last year and can cover. McCourty is our top tackler with 97.

He's only 28. ............Zach Brown Cousins.

He will cost you Hightower money but cheaper value in 2018. Ogletree is $10.7mm. Telvin Smith is $11.3mm. Mark Barron (no Pro Bowls) is $9mm (Maybe that would work).

Unlike Hightower he has only missed two games in five years.
7 INTs and 19 PBU....not bad for a MLB.4.4 40 yard time!A 3 Down ILB.
How about him Sunday instead of Van Noy or Roberts?

Am I down on Van Noy? No. Think Hightower Van Noy and Brown as your three LBs in 2018.

I would resign James Harrison to a Team friendly deal. He proved he had something left. He was one of the few decent players for the Pats Sunday and can help with the kids. Seems the Team(locker room) really likes him. 20 snaps a game. Not many tough guys on the D now. We need him.

In favor of keeping Bennett. Reduces Gronks snaps to keep him fresh yet production still happens.

Now more edge/OLB? Under the radar? Lets go Redskins again on the cheap. Trent Murphy. 6'6" and 260. in 2016 9 sacks and 3 Forced fumbles . Why cheap? ACL last August in preseason game (popped for PD for 4 games). Led the nation in sacks in '13 when he started all 14 games at OLB and registered 62-23.5-15 with six pass breakups, an interception return for a touchdown, two forced fumbles and a blocked kick. Also was used with his hand in the dirt in nickel. Team captain. Led Nation in sacks at 15 in 2015 at Stanford(smart guy!) 4.8 40 and a BB favorite 6.78 3 cone.

in F/A, I am in favor of resign of Solder, Lewis, Amendola, Fleming (well liked by the Team. Although Waddle usually got the start over him).

Maybes? Ebner, Burkhead, Slater

The rest of the F/A van walk

Cutting: Allen, Branch Gillislee (BB might not want that),McClellan

At CB I am going hard into the Draft but want at least on vet between Fuller, Melvin or Dennard.

Thought Brown was already signed through, so yes agree with Brown. Thought he signed a deal last season or maybe there was talk about him signing a deal somewhere...

The only thing i will say about the LB, having Brown could let us use HT in more of a rushing role, and draft a LB with athletic speed and have Brown be the QB of the Defence.

I'm a big fan of James Harrison, mainly due to his experience. We have a fairly young D-Line so having an Old head like Harrison could be huge for us.

I am going to look into Trent Murphy as by what your saying he is a very interesting prospect. Sounds like he has solid production as well.

What is your thought on Eifert if Bennett and Allen get cut? i know he has injury issues, but maybe a contract with a lot of incentives attached to it.

DVIVN4fWsAEHqxm.jpg:large

Guy abused the supposed "best" secondary in the AFCC and half that game Gronk was out.

But yes get rid of the best deep threat in the league the last 2 years who will be better next year with the returns of Edelman and Mitchell

Would have had about 150-200 yards in the SB if he didn't get taken out by a helmet to helmet hit

Never said he was bad. As a matter of fact I said I like him. But I would prefer two and a half hogans over one Cooks. If they end up moving on from him next year anyways I would gladly take a high pick for him this year. You might disagree, that's fair, but it's hardly as crazy as you seem to think.

Important message to Bill: please continue to adapt with the trend of LB’s actually being fast and athletic.

Van Noy and M Flowers: yes.

Elandon Roberts and David Harris: no.

Do you guys think Van Noy should remain a starter next year? I personally like his play.

Important message to Bill: please continue to adapt with the trend of LB’s actually being fast and athletic.

Do you guys think Van Noy should remain a starter next year? I personally like his play.
Van Noy took Blount down with one arm enough said.
He also is a great leader and smart and signed cheap he is a keeper.
I was on the Zach Brown bandwagon last year and was laughed at.
Trent Murphy would be a good signing.
I like Eric Moore and want to see him develop and train under Harrison.
Marquis Flowers I'm a fan
I want the Falcons linebackers amazing.
I'd give up anyone not named Tom Brady for those players.
That unit is sick.

Van Noy took Blount down with one arm enough said.
He also is a great leader and smart and signed cheap he is a keeper.
I was on the Zach Brown bandwagon last year and was laughed at.
Trent Murphy would be a good signing.
I like Eric Moore and want to see him develop and train under Harrison.
Marquis Flowers I'm a fan
I want the Falcons linebackers amazing.
I'd give up anyone not named Tom Brady for those players.
That unit is sick.
Eric Moore has been gone for 6 years, Eric Lee ;)

I think Lee overachieved. Could be good depth piece though.

I think a lot of these guys we had this year can be great depth pieces. But just as depth, nothing more.

Eric Moore has been gone for 6 years, Eric Lee ;)

I think Lee overachieved. Could be good depth piece though.

I think a lot of these guys we had this year can be great depth pieces. But just as depth, nothing more.
Damnit why did I call him Moore thanks for catching that

Isn’t DE Ziggy Ansah a free agent ? I would be all over that if he is. Just what the doctor ordered. Richardson would be a nice pickup too. But he has to be on his best behavior. I think Jarvis Landry and Demarcus Lawrence are pipe dreams, though Landry is a Belichick kind of player.

League-wide roster purges have just barely begun. The players who are released immediately become SFA who are often cheaper than UFA.

At the moment, those include:

DT - Nick Fairly, NOL
DT/DE - Tony McDaniel, NOL (age 33)
CB - David Amerson, OAK

Lots more to come over the next few weeks.

It's okay to dream about the Pats signing guys like Lawrence, but the reality is that the Pats can't spend what they don't have in cap space, and they'd be stupid to spend all or most of what they do have on just one player, "difference maker" or not.

As always, there are multiple roster holes to fill and positions to upgrade.

Amerison is visiting the Bears currently. He was released on Monday..

Amerison is visiting the Bears currently. He was released on Monday..

It's going to be an interesting free agency. Think there could be a few surprises along the way.

I hear Malcolm Butler is a free agent. I'd like to see him here. A guy like that could really make a difference in the secondary. Wish we had him for the last Super Bowl. :)

Just kidding

We defenders that possess Cat like quickness

No but I like Van Noy as a backup and guy who can take a decent amount of snaps and not completely **** his pants. 4th LB for me.

No but I like Van Noy as a backup and guy who can take a decent amount of snaps and not completely **** his pants. 4th LB for me.

Think Malik Jefferson could be an option come draft time.

Admins feel free to remove or merge into the correct area, as no idea if this has been started or not yet.

It’s pretty clear how we lost this years Super Bowl and that’s simply because we couldn’t stop an offensive or create any pressure.

So obviously i feel we will hit this draft hard and get a lot of our new defensive players through the draft this year.

Onto the free agents there are a couple of guys I am interested in.

TE - Tyler Eifert - project cap hit 3M.
Pros -
is a poor mans Gronkowski.
good hands.
solid blocking.

Cons-
The guy gets injured an awful lot and I don’t think he’s ever done a full season yet. Feel he is worth the risk.

Opinion - Will depend on if Marty is Cut and what Gronkowski will want to do this year. If Marty is cut I would like to see him here.

WR - Sammy Watkins

Pros -
Give him a one year prove it deal.
Has the ability to be a good redzone threat for us.
Hes a bigger target, allowing different mismatches for us.

Cons -
Could get franchised at LA.
Has had poor production in the league, could be down to having poor QB play. ( this year was a better year for him)

Opinion - this could be an interesting option for us this year, I cannot see the rams letting him go as Goff needs talent to help him. Cap Room may prevent us from getting him.

Defensive free agents

DT - Dontari Poe

Pros -
Big Size DT
Can stop the run for us.
Has experience which could help the young Dline
Could be Alan Branch replacement?

Cons -
Could be wanting more money than we are willing to part with.
Atlanta gave him an 8 mil prove it deal this year and looks like he wants more of a multi year contract.

Opinion - again this could be a cap issue and will depend on how much money he would want, if we have the cap room and he wants to play and can prove he can, I say we take a look at him.

DT/DE - Sheldon Richardson
3-4 DE
4-3 DT

Pros -
Can rush from the DT position and can give us an interior pass rush which we have lacked for a number of years.
Can stop the run as well.
Could be available for a good price 4 years 40 mil?

Cons -
He may want a lot more money than we are willing to offer him.
Can have discipline issues throughout his career

Opinion - out of Poe and Sheldon Richardson I’d rather have Richardson, feel he would offer us a lot more with regards to what we need. Again the biggest issue here is going to be creating the cap space.

Obviously there are lots more out there but this was mainly just to get a feeler out there and opinions of everyone else. There’s potential for this years free agency to potentially get us a bit stronger.

any free agent HC and Coaching Staffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back