PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need 2 lbs, one inside as a potential Roberts replacement and and an olb because we never really got a nink replacement.

There's Rivers and Langi, if they come back healthy. Marquis Flowers, if they can re-sign him. While it seems more likely than not that McClellin won't be back (perhaps voluntarily), it's still a possibility until it isn't.

The draft is more than two months away, and we'll probably get more information about health, etc., between now and then.

There's Rivers and Langi, if they come back healthy. Marquis Flowers, if they can re-sign him. While it seems more likely than not that McClellin won't be back (perhaps voluntarily), it's still a possibility until it isn't.

The draft is more than two months away, and we'll probably get more information about health, etc., between now and then.

ILB/OLB - Malik Jefferson he can play inside or out. Project him more on an ILB, due to his athleticism and coverage ability.

Trade Brady for the 1st and 4th pick in the draft, along with DeShone Kizer. Seems to solve every single problem that our team has right now.

Is this Rich Kotite and Bobby Grier's love child?

Apparently, the sum total of all the Patriots problems:

They win too much
They don't turn the ball often enough

William Hayes (6013/~260-265), UFA

Turns 33 on May 2nd.

Consistently productive rotational, then starting, DE for the Rams in Gregg William' 4-3 from 2012 thru 2016 (after spending his first four seasons with the Titans). Averaged just over 5 sacks and 40 total tackles per season, and just under 50% of the Rams D-snaps in 2014-2016.

Was traded to MIA when the Rams converted to the 3-4 under new DC Wade Phillips. He had 2 years left on his contract at $5.25M per season, which MIA immediately shortened to one year at $4.75M, with $4.7M guaranteed.

For MIA, in Matt Burke's 4-3, he averaged just under 40% of the D-snaps in his 10 games before he was IR'd with a hamstring injury that had been an ongoing issue last season, just before the 'Fins played the Pats at Gillette.

Hayes wasn't particularly productive for MIA, posting only 1 sack and 19 total tackles in 272 D-snaps. In comparison, Eric Lee posted 19 total tackles and 3.5 sacks in 281 D-snaps in just his first five NFL games playing defense.

Hayes might be available well into the summer and willing to sign with the Pats on a 1-year, non-guaranteed, veteran minimum contract for the 2018 Camp.

My first thought was, "Well, the Eagles aren't going to let Bradham walk."

So, the I checked the Eagles page at OTC to see how much they've been paying him (~$5M in 2017). It turns out that the Eagles are currently more than $9M over the cap. And they don't have much wiggle room that I can see.

Cutting or trading Foles, Torrey Smith, Brent Celek and Chris Long gains them a net of about $11.1M against the cap, barely bringing them back into positive territory (about $2M to the good). Cutting/trading Brandon Graha saves them about an additional $6.5M.

So, they're going to need to complete some significant re-structurings for several major contributors before they can even begin to think about re-signing free agents like Bradham, Trey Burton, Corey Graham, etc.

Even then, they're already down to $9.4M in free cap space for 2019, so any restructurings that benefit their 2018 cap will be driving their 2019 cap space into negative territory.

Would love Brandon Graham here I got to hang out with the guy at a work event amazing dude hung out with him the whole evening we ate wings played games and drank beer.
Real down to earth dude would love him in a Patriots uniform.

BTW - the thing about Bradham is that he's NOT "undersized" like many "coverage LBs". He's about 6'2"/245-250, strong, with good explosiveness and agility numbers. In addition to his 13 regular season PDs over his past two seasons in Philly, he's also made nearly 200 total tackles.

N
BTW - the thing about Bradham is that he's NOT "undersized" like many "coverage LBs". He's about 6'2"/245-250, strong, with good explosiveness and agility numbers. In addition to his 13 regular season PDs over his past two seasons in Philly, he's also made nearly 200 total tackles.
Would like Bradham as well.
Would 7 mill a season do it?
Also Eagles Lane Johnson said he doesnt think players have fun or enjoy playing for the Pat's and he would rather have 1 Superbowl and fun then have 5 and be miserable.

Would love Brandon Graham here I got to hang out with the guy at a work event amazing dude hung out with him the whole evening we ate wings played games and drank beer.
Real down to earth dude would love him in a Patriots uniform.

He was one of my top binkys in the 2010 draft. I was really hoping against hope that he'd fall to the Pats (Philly took him at #13). He seemed like a perfect fit at OLB for the Pats 3-4. Of course, 2010 turned out to be the beginning of the Pats transition to a 4-3/3-4 hybrid base. Graham could've been even more valuable to the Pats as it turned out.

N

Would like Bradham as well.
Would 7 mill a season do it?
Also Eagles Lane Johnson said he doesnt think players have fun or enjoy playing for the Pat's and he would rather have 1 Superbowl and fun then have 5 and be miserable.

AT $12.48M, Johnson is the second-highest cap hit on the Eagles roster for 2018, behind Fletcher Cox at $17.9M.

Johnson is about to experience the harsh realities of cap management since he's one of the guys who's most likely going to need to re-structure. Even then, at least a couple of his buddies are likely soon to be gone as cap casualties.

BTW - The Eagles can't cut Cox without incurring an additional $22M in 2018 cap charges.

There's going to be a lot of competition in camp, I think. I expect a large amount of signings of hungry role players with lesser name recognition, especially on defense.

I also think they're active trading down in the draft this year and have several deals with the Colts and Lions go down.
I think the days of dealing with the Colts are over for now.

I have a feeling they move on from Solder
That would leave an enormous hole to fill. You going to move Cannon there? He's never shown that he can handle the left side very well. If not, you're going to have to invest a top draft pick in someone and hope he can come in and start from day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes