PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For Peter King, Indy is now in jeopardy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
after Mc Farland injury...
after Glenn retirement...

not so easy to repeat

are all those injuries really goimg to jeopardize their chances ?

it could be but still they are 'in the mix' imho

Re: For Peter King , Indy is now in jeopardy...

Personally, I have a hate-on for the Colts so I may be seeing things a bit cloudy, but the Colts seem to shaping up as wannabes this year. They lost too much from an already horrible D during the off season and with the recent news of the Glenn retirement and the McFarland injury it seems to me like the writing is on the wall.

Peyton is in for a long year. He might put up the stats but don't be surprised if Jax takes the division from them this year and the colts finish 9-7 or worse.

It happens to everybody that goes to the SB... happened to us, remember? We built through the draft and FA, and now some of those draftees are holdouts. Colts may have enough left to defend. Wouldn't count 'em out.

To state the obvious though, yeah we've gained a lot on paper, and they've lost a lot on paper. If I had to guess, I'd say we're the best thing out there, assuming SD's coaching situation has any influence on how far they go. I just want them to be tough enough to keep the Broncs in their place ;)

PFnV

Personally, I have a hate-on for the Colts so I may be seeing things a bit cloudy, but the Colts seem to shaping up as wannabes this year. They lost too much from an already horrible D during the off season and with the recent news of the Glenn retirement and the McFarland injury it seems to me like the writing is on the wall.

Peyton is in for a long year. He might put up the stats but don't be surprised if Jax takes the division from them this year and the colts finish 9-7 or worse.
Too early to speculate...with Manning, there are always ways to wins games. They have been hot out of teh starting gate the past two years...see what happens THIS year with the target on their back. I think they may find the going a bit rougher..Don't wish to see an overreaction of saying that they can not do it and then have a surprise rebound. They are the champs..let them defend thr crown as Pitts did..falling flat quick...as Tampa did..and being out of mighty quick as NE did...Nah...I think we will see that repeating is NOT easy at all and the 03/04 seasons were something very special.

well said, i agree

if we have to be honest with Manning and their offense they can still win games

i will not undervalue at all Indy also if, on paper, they surely had some losses

let's see if those losses are simply 'too much' also for them...

As I said, I have a Hate-on for the Colts ;) .....

I'm with you on the hate on.

I think Indy takes a step back this year. They've lost too much, like the Bucs, the '05 Pats and the Steelers.

That said, I have a very hard time picturing them out of the playoffs.

Gotta separate my intellect from my emotion here, very surprised if Peyton and crew do not make it deep into the playoffs..

The Colts are the Champs until next year. Unfortunately (for them) they start out 0-0 with the rest of the teams. 2007's team for everyone is not 2006's team. Let's hope NOBODY wins this thing because of injuries to some other team.

Link please?

With the addition of a slot receiver the offence is going to score every time its on the field.All they ahve to do in defence is to hold a few 3 and out to win.
I do see it as a major loss as their offence is a beast.The only problem is if the opposing team plays a 5-6 form with 5 DL and 6 DB in zone coverage with excellent rush.

Last year the Colts needed help from the refs and fatigue and illness from the Pats to win. Not that I'm bitter. This year will be a different story.

King blows with the wind. He reads last year's tea leaves, arrives fashionably late to a party, falls in love with first thing he sees. Right now he is on a mission to repair some of the damage he created with his nasty words about the Pats from this spring. He denounced the Moss deal, questioned the direction of the organization, praised Borges and Shaughnessy, ripped the organization over the supposed TJ affair. Now he's come to his professional senses and realizes the Pats are maybe the biggest story of the NFL this coming season, and is trying to rebuild the bridges he burned IOT to regain inside access. Inside access is his calling card. For that reason he led his most recent column with a paean to Andre Tippett and the HOF, and has been pretending to warm to the Moss experiment. He's a mercenary business man and I take his flattery and criticism with a huge grain of salt. The Colts should be relieved to have him off the bandwagon.

Here is the link to the Tuesday Morning Edition of MMQB. What King has said basically is oh-oh... his SB pick may be in need of re-thinking. The personnel losses are really piling up in Indy, and losing Booger may be the straw that breaks the camel's back unless Polian can find a replacement via trade or camp cut, though it's hard to plug a pro bowl hole that way. He also says they don't have the cap room to sign a big time replacement, if there were any which there generally aren't at this time of year. He's wrong about the cap space, because they pick up several million in that via salary cleared on Glenn and Simon. But there aren't any fill in pro bowlers available and with so many teams cap flush there may be fewer quality cuts than normal this season. On Indy Star the talk is all about making a run on Sapp if he isn't cut (which seems to me unlikely since he is the veteran leader of the only thing the Raiders have going for them in defense and he was the one who got Schell axed and he reported to camp in college shape) or taking a flyer on Tank, which would have huge potential PR ramifications inside and outside of the locker room not to mention he's suspended for the first 8 games pending he doesn't screw up again in the interim.

Indy's in a strange division that's hard to read going forward. It could be better or worse and it's been something of a cakewalk for the Colts for the last couple of seasons. If it somehow turns out to be much better, they could be in real trouble. If it isn't much better being in it alone could pretty much assure them of at least a division win. Come playoff time I would think they will struggle unless a lot of guys step up above and beyond what they did last post season and they suffer little to no further losses due to injury. To sum it up, they are undertaking a defense of title on the thinnest of margins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/08/07/colts/index.html

IMHO, championship contenders can oftentimes have what I call "Holy sh*t, the way things are starting, this ain't going to be our year" moments. A key injury, a retiring player, losing a coach, a prolonged holdout, etc.

Indy has already had 3 of those moments.

Last edited:

If Indy is just as good as they were last year, they have a 10% - at best - chance of winning the SB. It took near divine intervention to get them one last year. I doubt that will happen again.

If Indy is just as good as they were last year, they have a 10% - at best - chance of winning the SB. It took near divine intervention to get them one last year. I doubt that will happen again.

+1. No way their D can step up like they did in the playoffs last year.

Take a look at their division. Just who is capable of beating them?

Texans? No.
Titans? No.
Jags? Maaaaaaaaybe. All depends on Leftwich. I like that defense in general and the run game in head-to-head matchups, but Manning > Leftwich, Dungy > Del Rio.

They'll be in the playoffs again on a 3 or 4 seed and from their, like last year, who knows what might happen.

+1. No way their D can step up like they did in the playoffs last year.

I agree. Lightning in a bottle. It was Mannings time :rolleyes: How many picks vs tds did he have? Oh boy :rolleyes: The colts got lucky. One of the worst teams ever to win the sb.

Last edited:

even if they take a step back they still win the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots