PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio: Pats shopped Gronk before the draft, targeting Mayfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Three days before draft, Patriots were making calls about a possible Gronkowski trade

Per a league source, the Patriots were calling other teams about a possible Gronkowski trade as recently as three days before the draft. Coincidentally (or not), Gronkowski ended nearly three months of uncertainty regarding his future by declaring publicly that he would play in 2018 only two days before the draft.

It’s not known what the Patriots wanted, or whether a deal was actually close. If it was, it never got to the point where Brady made a power play and Kraft made a boss move, literally.

Some think that the Patriots were hoping to add the assets needed to make a move for quarterback Baker Mayfield, who didn’t emerge as a serious candidate for the No. 1 overall pick until the week of the draft. It likely would have taken much more than the Patriots would have or could have surrendered to get all the way to top of the draft order.

Interesting.

Not particularly surprising.

You got someone who openly challenges the strength and conditioning crew and behaved like a jackass for the first part of the offseason, who has ended more seasons than not with some kind of lingering injury (or even IR) and who will not be extended at the number that he is looking for once his contract here runs out.

He is gone at the latest next offseason. It's a shame because he might be the biggest chess piece on offense in the entire league.

does that constitute smoke or fire? asking for a friend.

makes sense to me as I think Gronk only has a couple of years left before he goes to Hollywood or WWE to get paid. Pats being one step ahead just trying to get some return before he reitres

I'm not 100% convinced the retirement talk was anything more than a contract ploy. I'm wondering why Rosenhaus agreed to a deal that went that long (adding 6 years to his contract after just 2 years in the league) in the first place.

Since PFT credited the reddit dude as legit Florio using 'per a league source' in lieu of his previously preferred 'source with knowledge of the situation' lmfao

I think Florio's just pimping for some clickbait. Maybe he needs more face time.

Florio can claim it's a "league source" and be lying through his teeth. He won't reveal the source, ever, and if his "rumor" is proven false, as I believe it is, then he can always just say his "source" was wrong.

I simply refuse to give any credit to stories that don't name a source.

Not particularly surprising.

You got someone who openly challenges the strength and conditioning crew and behaved like a jackass for the first part of the offseason, who has ended more seasons than not with some kind of lingering injury (or even IR) and who will not be extended at the number that he is looking for once his contract here runs out.

He is gone at the latest next offseason. It's a shame because he might be the biggest chess piece on offense in the entire league.

I'm at a complete loss over why he would ever do such a thing like question the strength and conditioning crew.

does that constitute smoke or fire? asking for a friend.

makes sense to me as I think Gronk only has a couple of years left before he goes to Hollywood or WWE to get paid. Pats being one step ahead just trying to get some return before he reitres

He's not going to get paid at either spot. If anything he's going to take a huge paycut in the WWE, and short of an honest to god miracle, he'll be lucky to clear 30k per movie, based on his lack of talent and range.

(Yawn)

This off season can't end soon enough...

7-8 weeks to camp....

Not surprising. For the right price I'd trade him but it have to be for something good. I wonder how much Gronk/Brady would fetch at this point.

Gronk may only want to play a few more years even though he could play 5 more in all likelihood.

Brady probably has 2-3 years left and you wonder how he will look in year 3.

I'm at a complete loss over why he would ever do such a thing like question the strength and conditioning crew.

One has to do not much with the other.

Unless you think a better training regimen would have prevented Ward shredding his knee, the broken arm on the XP, Pollard jumping into his legs and causing a high ankle sprain or the back damage that came from the Earl Thomas hit.

Gronk’s trade value and his value to this team are world’s apart. He’s in a great negotiating position as a result

One has to do not much with the other.

Unless you think a better training regimen would have prevented Ward shredding his knee, the broken arm on the XP, Pollard jumping into his legs and causing a high ankle sprain or the back damage that came from the Earl Thomas hit.

It's the "nagging injuries" part of your post that I'm referring to. And yes, better strength and conditioning prevents some of those. If that wasn't the case, the Pats wouldn't have sent the last strength coach packing after the 2015 season. Funny how he finishes the season in his first year with Guerrero THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It's the "nagging injuries" part of your post that I'm referring to. And yes, better strength and conditioning prevents some of those. If that wasn't the case, the Pats wouldn't have sent the last strength coach packing after the 2015 season. Funny how he finishes the season in his first year with Guerrero THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

What strength and conditioning training prevents high ankles sprains due to players falling into your legs from behind, ACLs due to being blown up at full speed, broken hands or spinal disc injuries (again due to hits).

If he had consistent hamstring issues every year or some other soft tissue injuries it is a different discussion but his major injuries are for the most part due to relatively heavy impacts. There is nothing that can prevent them. Except not being on the field for that play.

What strength and conditioning training prevents high ankles sprains due to players falling into your legs from behind, ACLs due to being blown up at full speed, broken hands or spinal disc injuries (again due to hits).

If he had consistent hamstring issues every year or some other soft tissue injuries it is a different discussion but his major injuries are for the most part due to relatively heavy impacts. There is nothing that can prevent them. Except not being on the field for that play.

• 2016: Hamstring pull in the preseason. Pulled up lame and remained limited until Week 5.
  • 2015: Knee strain. Missed 1 game.
  • 2012: Hip pull. Non-contact. Limited reps in practice.
3 instances in 3 separate years of non-contact type of injuries. This includes the various "pulls" and "tweaks" that regularly occur in football that don't end up on the injury report. Gronk has been correct in his criticism of the Pats' strength staff in the past as well as their doctors and how they've handled some of his other injuries.

Gronk is the greatest TE to play. What he does/can do is amazing.

That 2nd round pick was GOLD and even if he is moved, he was worth every penny.

That said : his age, his injury history, and his offbeat personality are all reasons we shouldn’t be surprised if this report is factual.

I do agree with posters who state that Gronk is more valuable than “what he would bring back in a trade” as I don’t see other teams giving up much for him, despite his awesome ability.

Idiotic if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back