PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First thread here... anyone feel like rating this draft? Big risk in rounds 2/3

Pat_the_Patriot

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
OK: Money league, 10 teams, rules follow:

17 roster spots, MUST start 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 3 IDP, 1K 1 FLEX (RB, WR or TE)

OFF:
4 points for passing TD
6 points for all other TDs
1 pt. for every 10 yds rushing OR receiving
1 pt per reception
-1 pt for every sack
-2 pt for every int thrown
-2 pt for fumbles

DEF:
1 pt for every .5 sack
1 pt for every SOLO tackle
0 pt for every combined/.5 tackle
2pt for every safety
3pt for every int
6 pt for every def TD
2 pt for every forced fumble (whether recovered or not)
3 pt for every fumble recovered (from opponent only)

Here's my squad:

QB: P Rivers, A. Smith
RB: L. Tomlinson, T. Jones, C. Williams, M. Turner, T. Bell, C. Taylor
WR: R. Wayne, B. Edwards, T. Glenn, D. Henderson
TE: A. Gates
PK: J. Brown
DEF: London Fletcher-Baker (LB), E. Sims (LB), J. Vilma (LB)

First draft with IDP... since we only start three and give tackles/sacks a premium... I figured I'd play that safe.

RISK MOVE: After taking LT with the first pick, no value was left for RB at 20 spot (18 RBs went in a row w/ P. Manning going 19) My top 4 RBs left at this point were (in order) M. Lynch, C. Benson, T. Jones, C. Williams. Instead of going RB, RB, I took R. Wayne (my #1 ranked WR this year given point format above) and A. Gates (literally heads and shoulders above all others in this format... he cracks the top ten WR points in this structure)... and hoped that two RBs would fall to me.

I figured Lynch would be there... but he was gone, as was Benson... which let me scoop up T. Jones and C. Williams. This move left me, I think, slightly exposed at WR... but with my RB depth (assuming either T. Bell or C. Taylor works out... at least as a decent RBBC situation), I should never need to start more than 2 WRs and there are some players left at WR given the shallow pool of players taken: I've got D. Bennett, G. Jennings, A. Gonzalez, T. Williamson, etc. available should I need the depth but figured it better to rely on B. Edwards and see how the "names" of T. Glenn and D. Henderson (pick #160) work out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

You have LT so you'll do fine.

Here are my concerns with that roster.
1. Rivers and LT will rarely have good weeks at the same time, and you're a little exposed on your bye week.
2. Your WR's are WEAK! Edwards is OK but his offense is terrible. I'd consider trying to trade Rivers for a WR and start Smith. Only if you get a good deal, don't force it. Somebody in your league over-values QB's. Take advantage.

OK: Money league, 10 teams, rules follow:

17 roster spots, MUST start 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 3 IDP, 1K 1 FLEX (RB, WR or TE)

OFF:
4 points for passing TD
6 points for all other TDs
1 pt. for every 10 yds rushing OR receiving
1 pt per reception
-1 pt for every sack
-2 pt for every int thrown
-2 pt for fumbles

DEF:
1 pt for every .5 sack
1 pt for every SOLO tackle
0 pt for every combined/.5 tackle
2pt for every safety
3pt for every int
6 pt for every def TD
2 pt for every forced fumble (whether recovered or not)
3 pt for every fumble recovered (from opponent only)

Here's my squad:

QB: P Rivers, A. Smith
RB: L. Tomlinson, T. Jones, C. Williams, M. Turner, T. Bell, C. Taylor
WR: R. Wayne, B. Edwards, T. Glenn, D. Henderson
TE: A. Gates
PK: J. Brown
DEF: London Fletcher-Baker (LB), E. Sims (LB), J. Vilma (LB)

First draft with IDP... since we only start three and give tackles/sacks a premium... I figured I'd play that safe.

RISK MOVE: After taking LT with the first pick, no value was left for RB at 20 spot (18 RBs went in a row w/ P. Manning going 19) My top 4 RBs left at this point were (in order) M. Lynch, C. Benson, T. Jones, C. Williams. Instead of going RB, RB, I took R. Wayne (my #1 ranked WR this year given point format above) and A. Gates (literally heads and shoulders above all others in this format... he cracks the top ten WR points in this structure)... and hoped that two RBs would fall to me.

I figured Lynch would be there... but he was gone, as was Benson... which let me scoop up T. Jones and C. Williams. This move left me, I think, slightly exposed at WR... but with my RB depth (assuming either T. Bell or C. Taylor works out... at least as a decent RBBC situation), I should never need to start more than 2 WRs and there are some players left at WR given the shallow pool of players taken: I've got D. Bennett, G. Jennings, A. Gonzalez, T. Williamson, etc. available should I need the depth but figured it better to rely on B. Edwards and see how the "names" of T. Glenn and D. Henderson (pick #160) work out.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.
I think your draft was excellent. At RB1 and TE, you'll have a huge edge with LT and Gates, especially with the 1ppr. At WR1, Wayne should be in the ballpark of Steve Smith's, Chad Johnson's or Torry Holt's numbers...he's a solid WR1. At RB2 and WR2, Thomas Jones and Braylon Edwards are good picks that may lose the battle vs. other teams' pairs, but they won't lose them badly enough to give away the huge advantage at RB1 and TE; Note that they are good enough to win plenty of those battles as well. At flex, you can throw out Cadillac Williams (would be a RB2 on plenty of teams), Terry Glenn or Devry Henderson (both WRs are great flex options), so you'll match up great vs. any opponent at that spot. At QB, you'll give back some points when you play the better QBs like P.Manning, C.Palmer, M.Bulger and Tom, but not enough to overcome that cushion that LT and Gates will provide. Your IDP picks are solid and if they don't do well, the waiver wire will always have someone to fill their spots.

I can easily see this team in the title game, or at least near the top of your league in season-long scoring.

Regards,
Chris

i cant see your point totals
but in my league which has ppr too gates is not head and shoulders above the other tight ends the way he used to
and its not his fault
rivers just doesnt go to him enough
brees loved the guy, and he benefited big time
you've got a few guys i have in my money league that i like:
braylon, third yr wr, could potentially break out
dev henderson, very good deep threat, but will be inconsistent, cuz thats really all he is
tatum bell, i'm really hoping kevin jones is on the pup, if you take a look at kevin jones' receiving stats before mike martz and tatum bell's receiving stats theyre very similar, then look at the fact that kevin jones had 61 receptions before he got hurt last year, thats HUGE in a ppr league, and i expect bell to put up similar numbers if jones is in fact out
i took lynch as you wanted to, although he hasn't looked too great in the preseason, but i have faith he will turn it on once the season starts

and i gotta love the pick of alex smith even though i hope he does awful (our draft pick), and he is with a new off coordinator
but, he's my look-a-like, so i gotta like it
seriously if the guy had brown eyes i would start to think we were separated at birth

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back