SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Mon
Oct 21st
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Stellar Performance
Another strong performance by the defense leads to points and played a key role as the Patriots improved to 6-0 Thursday night.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

First Concert/Favorite Concerts

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by dalero, Apr 20, 2006.

1. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2
    ---
    My first concert was a birthday present from my older brother, about 15/16 yrs old and it was at the Garden seeing Creedence Clearwater Revival ('72?). Still love those guys!

2. Dfresh429

Dfresh429 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    My first concert was Dave Matthews Band in the Fleet Center 4/8/02. My Favorite concert was 7/2/05 of this year, DMB at Saratoga Performing Arts Center..excellent venue..

close second was in December of this year in Manchester, when DMB came to NH for the first time in like 13 years, i got to go back stage and meet Dave..pretty cool stuff..

3. Coast2CoastPatsFan

Coast2CoastPatsFan Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Interesting that you went to Isle of Wight. That must've been quite an experience, what with the gate crashing, violence, etc. Did you attend all three days? If so, what were your impressions of ELP, Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, and Miles Davis? They all sound good on the 1995 Sony documentary release 'Message to Love'. Amazingly, this was ELP's second live performance together. The ELP and Tull performances have been released from the Murray Lerner archives......it would be nice to see the same for TYA. I see that recently the Miles performance was released on DVD, all 38 minutes of it (pretty short gig for the legend!). I also have the 2-disc set of The Who's performance, which includes a rare full performance of "Tommy". Really good performance, though I much prefer 'Live at Leeds' from the same year.

You really notice the lack of crowd enthusiasm on 'Blue Wild Angel', understandably so. This was not one of Jimi's better live performances, though it had it's moments, including the humorous opening for "God Save the Queen" ("Please stand and honor your country, and if you don't then f*ck you"). Sadly, he would no longer be with us a few weeks later.

If you're referring to the 4/17/70 show, it is included on the Sony Legacy Edition 2-disc re-release of 'Second Winter'. It takes up the entire second disc, and is a pretty hot performance, including an interesting version of 'Frankenstein' prior to it becoming a huge hit for Edgar.

4. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,030
    ---

Thanks, C2CPF for that fantastic post. You know more about my past than I do!

My memories of the Isle of Wight are a bit hazy, at least as regards the music (cue "if you can remember the 60s then you weren't there" joke). There were simply a lot of people there and it was difficult to get anywhere close to the stage. Remember, in those days, sound systems were nothing like as good as they are now, so a lot of the time the music was going on somewhere in the background.

I couldn't give you a critique of the individual performances. I had been a pretty big fan of King Crimson and I saw the Nice and Yes together at one of Emerson's last concerts, so I remember the excitement of seeing ELP. The Miles set didn't go down well because he seemed completely uninterested in relating to the environment he was in. I've completely forgotten about the Who. Were they really there? I must have been asleep (or something :rolleyes: )

But my friends and I had lots of other interests! I was 18, so just driving there with them, sleeping in the car on the way, etc. was an exciting adventure. I remember walking around in a cheesecloth shirt with a sun-hat on my head with the slogan "Weekend Hippy". The most interesting person I met by far was a guy working on a burger van who had been a roadie for Syd Barratt -- we had a memorable couple of hours of weird conversation. I didn't see any violence, though by that stage the atmosphere wasn't as "Love is All You Need" as it would have been two or three years earlier. I think that Altamont and the Manson murders pretty much closed that chapter.

As far as Johnnie Winter goes, I am indeed referring to that concert. I had no idea that the recording had been released -- the information is really welcome. CBS put on two concerts with three bands each evening over two days with the idea of recording live LPs (the second night was headlined by Santana; I've completely forgotten who else played the night I went). I looked out for the recordings but never saw them. I assumed that the recording must have gone wrong or that there was some contractual problem.

Then I noticed on Amazon that there was a DVD with some of the concert on it, so I ordered it to rent. Big disappointment. The sound quality was awful and I thought that maybe I had exaggerated how good the original concert had been. I will definitely now buy the Second Winter CD (I have the LP in my collection, somewhere -- I doubt that it's still playable, though).

Thanks again for the post.

5. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,393
    ---
    I was supposed to be there but got bad directions.

Wound up at the Isle of Lucy instead.

6. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,030
    ---
    Yes, definitely

The recording is great and re-captures a lot of what I remember about the concert. This is Johnny Winter at his very best. Thanks for pointing me towards it -- I've been waiting for the album to appear for thirty years!

7. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +115
    ---
    I avoided this thread the first time around, because really, what makes a great concert?

The first part of the questions is easy. Billy Joel at the Providence Civic Center, around 1989, I guess, or whenever Storm Front came out. Which was probably the last relevant music he put together.

Now, the tricky part. The best time I ever had at a show was the Steve Miller Band in the summer of 1991 at Great Woods. Pouring rain for four hours. Within the first 10 minutes there wasn't a dry spot on my body. I think the weather and the crew I went with made it such a great show, though. Definitely a great memory. It's amazing how many people I've met later in life were at that show. I'd be surprised if at least two or three people on this board weren't there. Loudest I've ever heard Great Woods: 1) Ministry as part of Lollapalooza II. 2) Steve Miller Band Touching down in New England town....

Next in my memory is Clapton at Great Woods. Jumped the fence, as was my habit back then. Pouring rain, beginning to end again. I remember less of the show, because I was thrice as drunk. Great time on the lawn though.

Mighty Mighty Bosstones at Syracuse in 1992. Played the lawn right outside my house. Watched from my porch. F'ing awesome. First time I had seen them.

My first Phish show, 1993 in some gymnasium at the University of Buffalo. Phenomenal. Like someone else above said, they were always great shows, but when it started to get like the Dead shows, they stopped being my scene.

I saw John Lee Hooker at a small venue in Phoenix that I can't think of at the moment (______ Theater) about three weeks before he died. Age had robbed him of his ability to stand and his vocals, but hadn't touched the agility in his fingers.

The Robert Cray Band at that same spot a few years later, musically, may have been the best show I've seen.

Too many Allman Brothers shows to remember which was which. I remember Derek Trucks first gig with them, at the Mesa Amphitheatre was especially good. Great acoustics.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan TB12, BB = G.O.A.T.s PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,543
    ---
    FWIW, I liked the "River of Dreams" CD a lot better than "Storm Front".

9. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +115
    ---
    To each his/her own.

10. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    I'm a little young for this thread (and I'm not sure I can answer the questions without embarassing myself), but here goes. . .

First concert: New Kids on the Block. Yes, I was one of those little girls. . .

Best concert?: Probably the Mighty Mighty Bosstones on St. Pattys Day in Detroit a couple of years back or Ben Folds at the Avalon when he was recording his live album (they took pictures for the album art that night and my middle finger is on the cover).

I was also a bit of a Phish-head back in my teens and I saw them quite a bit.

I don't do most concerts nowadays because a) I hate most modern music, b) crowds are very unsavory at many shows, and c) they're overpriced.

I saw Aerosmith a couple of months ago. They're one of my most favorite bands ever and I was highly disappointed by the show. Of course, at the point they're at, they're busy pandering to the masses anyway. . .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2005
  11. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Ben Folds a few years ago when he toured solo. His songs stand up just as well without a band, some of them are even stronger with only a piano. Once saw him at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem and his new band really played a hell of a set. Folds is a real performer.

Reel Big Fish never mail it in. ditto Widespread Panic and Cake.

Weezer was the most disappointing show ever... they barely played for an hour, never talked to the crowd, just ran straight through a bunch of songs. And to add insult to injury, we had to sit through the Get-Up Kids, whose set lasted longer!!!

12. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +153
    ---
    I never got to see the Moody Blues in person but have a DVD of a fairly recent concert of theirs. They sound as good as ever.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23
    ---
    First show: Yale Bowl, New Haven, 1980 - Eagles, Heart, Little River Band. It was 100 deg on the field and 95 in the stands. Packed stadium. Semi-conscious for LRB, but woke up when Heart broke in with "Barracuda".

Best shows:
    Little Feat opened for the Dead at Oxford Motor Speedway in Maine about 1985? Feat was unreal and best Dead show I ever saw.
    English Beat at the Channel in 1983.
    ACDC at the Worcester Centrum 1987?
    John Lee Hooker – Channel Club 1985

14. Jacky Roberts

Jacky Roberts 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0
    ---
    Best concert band for me is Metallica.

15. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,833
    ---
    Favorite concerts:

Grateful Dead, w/ New Riders of the Purple Sage and Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson & firends Kezar Stadium May 1973

Pat Methney Band Park City West Utah July 78

David Grisman Quintet SNowbird Plaza, Aug 79

16. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,778
    ---
    in the past (approx 20 years ago) i went to many concerts - i loved on these years expecially the heavy metal bands but not only

some concerts i remember to have seen:

krokus - yes - genesis - ufo - saxon - motorhead - scorpions - iron maiden -simple minds - simply red - deep purple (recently) - pet shop boys - rush (recently) - rem - claudio baglioni (many many girls where there)

surely there are others that in this moment i do not remember

the best ? probably the canadians Rush

petty that i never been able to see alive the Ramones, Blue Oyster Cult, E.L.& P and Judas Priest

17. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +115
    ---

In the interest of helping you with your English (Which I find very good), the word you're looking for is "pity".

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  18. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +1,778
    ---
    beh...thanks ! or...grazie.

so...pity that i was unable to see The Ramones...

i loved some songs made by them (do you wanna dance ? blitzkrieg bop, gimme gimme shock treatment, rock and roll radio are by favouritest)

but number 1: Rush

subdivisions
    tom sawyer
    limelight

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006