SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Sep 22nd
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
White Wash
It was a whitewash in Miami as the Patriots defense rocked the Dolphins and New England improved to 2-0 on the season.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Felger suspended

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Tunescribe, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Simpelton

Simpelton In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,324
    ---
    You cannot be this obtuse.

There is a HUGE distinction between taking risks for money, to provide for family, and being a daredevil for no other reason than an adrenaline addiction. One is a calculated risk, done to meet one's obligations to provide for your family and its future. The other is a potential abandoning of those obligations by putting your life at unnecessary risk.

When you're married with children, your life is not entirely your own. A large part of what you are belongs to your spouse and children. We're an individualistic culture so that goes down hard for some people, but it's the truth.

It's one thing to risk that for a reward that will help those people your life belongs to. If you die, you died for something. But if you take yourself away from your family by doing something stupid with no end goal worth the struggle, to die for nothing, you have robbed your family of something VERY important in their own lives, and done it for no reason, and even if it's not polite to mention it after the fact, it's still an important consideration when it comes to athletes like Mr. Halladay.

Lots of athletes after retirement still feel the need for that adrenaline high that they got from playing, and don't know how to get it. But there's got to be a better way to requite that need than throwing your life away doing daredevil stunts. As a father your life does not belong to you. It belongs to your family and you have no right to take it away from them. That HAS to be a factor in the decisionmaking process of any father.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Simpelton

Ratings:
    +3,324
    ---
    You do bring up a valid point. I'll go far enough to admit that Brady's out there more because he wants to be than because he needs to be. On the other hand athletes, especially those like Brady, go a little crazy sometimes when they can't be on the field doing what they love. Halladay is exhibit A, I strongly suspect he was on that plane because he went into retirement with no idea what to do with himself, especially if he thought he left unfinished business on the field. Until Brady has an absolute plan for what he wants to do after he retires I think it's probably better for his mental health if he keeps going.

3. Crazy Patriot Guy

Crazy Patriot Guy 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,570
    ---
    What does Tom Brady being a pro have to do with anything? Will his years of experience somehow protect his body if he gets hit the wrong way? All it takes is one hit.

Bread on the table? Brady stopped having a need for money quite a long time ago. He could have retired the day he got married and his kids would still be set for life. Every day he goes out on the field is for fun, not because the mortgage payment is due.

When I was 20, a few of my coworkers and I went skydiving with our boss. It was an amazing experience. Except while all of us were young and single, my boss had a wife and two daughters. If a tragedy had occurred to him that day, did he have it coming?

4. Simpelton

Ratings:
    +3,324
    ---
    No, they wouldn't "have it coming," but they still take the blame for the trauma their deaths caused their loved ones, same if Brady came to harm by playing longer than he needed to.

Let's be clear. What happened to Halladay was a tragedy, but it is his fault he was anywhere near where he died. All the decisions that led to his death were his, and they seem to have been made either without consideration, or with minimal consideration, to how his death would affect those around him. Whether you feel it was or was not any of Felger's business, that's what he was responding to.

5. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---
    According to a study from 2011 you have a .0007 chance of dying skydiving (21 deaths in 3 million jumps), and a .0167 chance of dying in a car accident. Clearly everyone needs to stop driving and simply use a parachute to get to work.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. archstanton543

archstanton543 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,743
    ---
    That's not for you to decide.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---
    Better stop hunting, about 100 people year die from it.

Better stop skiing and snowboarding, dozens and dozens die every year from it.

Better stop playing soccer, a goalie was killed just a few weeks ago.

Let’s not even talk about football, shut er’ down.

I’m telling you right now, bubble wrap everyone you care about, eliminate all risk, chew your food 27 times, don’t read in poor light, and always look both ways three times before crossing. Better yet just kill yourselves because life is far too dangerous to actually live.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Simpelton

Ratings:
    +3,324
    ---
    Many people work when they don't need to. Take it from the unemployed guy, work is a major source of your identity, especially for a man. If you aren't working what good are you?

I'm personally of the opinion that that loss of identity had a lot to do with how Roy Halladay died. Not all athletes have a plan for a long life after work, and not all plans work out. If they miss the "rush" of playing they can wind up seeking it elsewhere. At least he was seeking an adrenaline rush rather than alcohol or illegal substances like too many do.

9. shmessy

shmessy . PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23,653
    ---
    @borg is upset about everyone's "delicate sensibilities". :p

10. Joker

Joker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +31,847
    ---
    thank the powers that be that I, Mr. Sensitivity, had the requisite sensibility to stay out of this cesspool of moral equivalency.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rochrist

rochrist Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7,510
    ---
    Well, except for the whole Halladay has been involved with planes and flying since he was a child thing. His father was a pilot and he grew up around planes.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,785
    ---
    I feel we are all worse off because of it though.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,120
    ---
    Now I'm worried.

Out of curiosity what is the mortality rate for eating with chop sticks? Those things look dangerous.

14. RDS11

RDS11 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +239
    ---
    Although the reply was quite funny, the numbers are misleading. That 0.0167 percent chance is based on driving 10,000 miles. For me, it represents more than a year of driving, going back and forth from work, plus shopping, going out and so on. It's not based on each single times someone takes his car. Per occurrence, sky diving is much more dangerous.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Ivan

Ivan Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +23,750
    ---
    My point is simply that people should live to enjoy their life and not to try and avoid dying. That doesn’t mean doing things you aren’t up to but it does mean you don’t deserve to die because you engage in risky activities. Knowing your limits and doing things properly is the key.

What’s the last thing a redneck tells his friends?

Hey guys

Watch this

The Darwin Awards are their to honor them, let’s leave it at that.

• Funny Funny x 1