PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger on the DRIVE "Palmer over Brady"

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Did anyone else hear Felger on the radio last night say that as much as he loves Tom Brady he “might†have to take Carson Palmer as his QB if he was starting a franchise today. His feeling is Brady, as great as he is, is a product of Belichick and that if Brady left today he would suffer but Palmer could flourish under any coack/system.

He basically implied Brady is a “system†guy which I find funny because he is completely a different QB today than he was in 2001. In 2001 he was asked to manage the game. They played dink and dunk. Today he is slinging the ball all over the field. Look at the TB for instance. Here were four of his passes

3-7-NE 27 (14:10) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 87-D.Givens ran ob at TB 41 for 32 yards.
1-10-NE 11 (4:02) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 87-D.Givens to NE 42 for 31 yards
2-16-TB 33 (2:35) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 86-T.Dwight to TB 6 for 27 yards
3-7-NE 23 (5:50) 12-T.Brady pass to 87-D.Givens pushed ob at TB 40 for 37 yards

Three over 30 yards. He is a not a systems QB. Is Palmer bigger and stronger? Maybe. Is he a great QB. I think so. Is he better than Brady? Nope.

Felger, like everyone who thinks the grass is greener has forgotten how great Brady is.

I did hear this and this is all about Felger taking the opposing side to get callers all riled up so they will call into his show.

Felger is a complete "what have you done for me lately" kinda guy and has NO idea what the hell he is talking about.

In that same segment, Josh Miller asked him to name his top four ALL TIME QB's and he listed them as: Marino, Montana, Brady, Farve...so how did Brady go from not being chosen above Palmer to one of his top ALL TIME QB's...

Whateva! The guy is a fraud!

Josh Miller

This guy is hysterical. I loved it when Felger said that, as he was not a GM the whole “who would you take†conversation was fantasy.

Miller replied “Oh this is fantasy…so I’d take the two headed dragon over…â€. He never finished the sentence but he was proving to Felger that his “fantasy†question was about as useful as deciding between an imaginary two-headed dragon and another imaginary creature.

Felgie's nickname on WEEI wasn't the DB for nothing. I heard some of his rant, before Josh came on, and while he claimed Palmer had all the skills and slightly better tools, I never heard him credit BB or utter any system bs. He has been a Brady supporter for a long time - dating back to 2000 TC. So if he said that he's just a real tool as a talk show host chumming controversial opinions in hopes of reeling in hysterical callers.

His main point in saying he'd take Palmer initially was age - if you were starting a franchise he'd be around a few years longer. But even that is debatable - they aren't all as durable or consistent as Tommy Boy. Things could happen to damage Carson's psyche and he'd be one and done. Stranger things have happened in the NFL (not to mention on the Bungles). Maybe without Chad Johnson he'd bite.

And while he's had nice second season, Palmer ain't won nothing of real value yet. And it seems the players and coaches decided to snub him in their pro bowl voting. Fans had him second in their voting, but he didn't even make the squad. Felgie will be pissed.....

Unfortunately Josh didn't make it either, and I think he deserved to.

Last edited:
shatch62 said:
Did anyone else hear Felger on the radio last night say that as much as he loves Tom Brady he “might†have to take Carson Palmer as his QB if he was starting a franchise today. His feeling is Brady, as great as he is, is a product of Belichick and that if Brady left today he would suffer but Palmer could flourish under any coack/system.

He basically implied Brady is a “system†guy which I find funny because he is completely a different QB today than he was in 2001. In 2001 he was asked to manage the game. They played dink and dunk. Today he is slinging the ball all over the field. Look at the TB for instance. Here were four of his passes

3-7-NE 27 (14:10) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 87-D.Givens ran ob at TB 41 for 32 yards.
1-10-NE 11 (4:02) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 87-D.Givens to NE 42 for 31 yards
2-16-TB 33 (2:35) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass to 86-T.Dwight to TB 6 for 27 yards
3-7-NE 23 (5:50) 12-T.Brady pass to 87-D.Givens pushed ob at TB 40 for 37 yards

Three over 30 yards. He is a not a systems QB. Is Palmer bigger and stronger? Maybe. Is he a great QB. I think so. Is he better than Brady? Nope.

Felger, like everyone who thinks the grass is greener has forgotten how great Brady is.

At least he did the right thing by comparing two quarterbacks closer in talent. Not like that silly one sided Brady vs. Manning thread.

This is better for Tom, sort of like a horse coming down in class.

Tony Collins said:
At least he did the right thing by comparing two quarterbacks closer in talent. Not like that silly one sided Brady vs. Manning thread.

Are you serious? Tom is head and shoulders above both of them. Manning would be like the boxer that has to drop a weight class because he can't compete in his natural class, so he drops down and Manning is the best 2nd tier QB in the NFL.

PatsFanInEaglesLand said:
Are you serious? Tom is head and shoulders above both of them. Manning would be like the boxer that has to drop a weight class because he can't compete in his natural class, so he drops down and Manning is the best 2nd tier QB in the NFL.

There is always one who bites.....

I have always believed Felger prides himself on being an "anti-homer" or devil's advocate of local sports fans. But, being so makes him just as bias as a homer. So I disregard just about anything that comes out of his mouth that isn't just a fact.

Well, he's better than the Big Show. Granted, that's not saying much.

Tony Collins said:

Tony.....no therapy yet? All I wanted was for you to just talk to somebody. Its going to be a long January for you without some sort of support network.

Michael said:
I have always believed Felger prides himself on being an "anti-homer" or devil's advocate of local sports fans. But, being so makes him just as bias as a homer. So I disregard just about anything that comes out of his mouth that isn't just a fact.

Actually Felger is from Wisconsin and is a Packers fan.

Some of the pundits used to say about Bledsoe that the reason he did not do better was because he worked under so many different systems. I think some of the greatest players were system QBs, such as Montana (west coast system). All it means is that they let the coach coach (they buy into the system) and they execute.

It's fare to say that Brady is a product of the BB system. Part of Brady's greatness is that he has a full understanding of a great system. Put him under another coach, and Brady might have trouble adapting, especially if the new coach couldn't demonstrate that he knew more than Brady. I might Choose Palmer too, unless I could get Brady and BB.

Willie55 said:
Wouldn't you have to be a fan of the team to be a homer?

Yep, that's why I said anti-homer.

Patters said:
Some of the pundits used to say about Bledsoe that the reason he did not do better was because he worked under so many different systems. I think some of the greatest players were system QBs, such as Montana (west coast system). All it means is that they let the coach coach (they buy into the system) and they execute.

It's fare to say that Brady is a product of the BB system. Part of Brady's greatness is that he has a full understanding of a great system. Put him under another coach, and Brady might have trouble adapting, especially if the new coach couldn't demonstrate that he knew more than Brady. I might Choose Palmer too, unless I could get Brady and BB.

Brady being a system QB and all that is 100% speculation with nothing to back it. Sure anyone can say maybe Brady would be worse in a different system but that's easy to say knowing he won't be in any other system anytime soon.

If you look at what Brady does, I dont think you can logically say he's only a system qb. He has tremendous pocket presence, great vision, quick decision making skills, strong and accurate arm (albeit not as strong as the bledsoe's of the world).

Pats67 said:
Tony.....no therapy yet? All I wanted was for you to just talk to somebody. Its going to be a long January for you without some sort of support network.

Hey 67, I'm okay. Just floated it out there.

Someone will always grab it.

That's why this board is too easy. It's like clubbing baby seals.

This whole system QB thing is out of control.

"System QB" started with the 49ers and Waslh, intended to mean that the Walsh system made it easy for the QB to do well, because the system produced open receivers all day long. Early in Montanas career, that is what happened. He throw 3 yards dwonfield to a guy coming off 2 picks and he'd run for 20.
I truly believe Montana would have struggled a ton early on in a different offense. Walsh made it easy for him early on. However, Montana grew into a complete and great QB.

Today, there really isnt such a thing as a 'system QB'. The implication of it is that you are a 'dink and dunk passer' because that was what the Walsh system called for. Young QBs can LOOK more successful when asked to do less, which kind of looks like the system QB thing. But to succeeed long term, you must be able to do it all.
Brady absolutely was a dink and dunk passer early on. "The system" had nothing to do with it. The play calling and coaching decided to use his strengths--quick decision making--and not have him sitting in the pocket trying to find receivers all over the field.
As he progressed, he has abandoned that need, because he has grown other strengths.

Brady could play on any team in any offense and be just as successful.
The thing that separates him from most is his intelligence. BB has said that when Brady comes off the field and is asked what he sees, he is correct 99% of the time. BB says that is extremely unique.

emoney_33 said:
Brady being a system QB and all that is 100% speculation with nothing to back it. Sure anyone can say maybe Brady would be worse in a different system but that's easy to say knowing he won't be in any other system anytime soon.

If you look at what Brady does, I dont think you can logically say he's only a system qb. He has tremendous pocket presence, great vision, quick decision making skills, strong and accurate arm (albeit not as strong as the bledsoe's of the world).

Brady is one of the greatest quarterback and I agree with everything you say about him, except I think he is a system quarterback. He only knows one NFL system and has worked in it for 5 years. To some degree, the system has been designed around Brady's skills and with Brady's input.

If he went to another team, his skills would remain the same, but his ability to truly understand and master a new system would probably be impeded by his bias for the BB system and things he's become accustomed to.

Patters said:
Brady is one of the greatest quarterback and I agree with everything you say about him, except I think he is a system quarterback. He only knows one NFL system and has worked in it for 5 years. To some degree, the system has been designed around Brady's skills and with Brady's input.

If he went to another team, his skills would remain the same, but his ability to truly understand and master a new system would probably be impeded by his bias for the BB system and things he's become accustomed to.

By your definition everyone is a system QB because they are playing in only one system.

A system QB implies the system wins, and you could put any QB in there and the results would be pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes