SOURCE:Boston.com

SOURCE:NBC Sports Boston

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Favorite Television Series You are Watching (looking for recommendations)

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Ice_Ice_Brady, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ice_Ice_Brady PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28,865
    Always looking for good recommendations. No network (garbage) TV on here please...just streaming stuff, HBO, Showtime, etc. Here is what I've been watching:

Shows I'm currently watching or just finished
    • Succession - Finished both seasons, awesome show, won Golden Globe
    • The Outsider - HBO has aired two episodes so far and has been good and could see it taking off. Based on Stephen King book. Please DO NOT spoil if you have read book. True Detective-style Stephen King thriller.
    • Band of Brothers. I never saw this when it came out but is a 9.5 on IMDB. Incredible 10-part miniseries on World War 2 starting with Normandy. Lots of good actors...this is like 20 years old now but you'd think it was made within the last year with hi-def and great cinematography. I’m watching this with the surround sound cranked up and it’s amazing.
    • El Camino. Breaking Bad movie...great watch if you loved BB, which I did.
    • The Morning Show. Watched it with my wife and thought it sucked, predictably. Contrived and marketed with big stars over substance.
    • Billions. I stopped watching midway through this last season...anyone have a thumbs up or thumbs down? Felt it was getting pretty dull and desperate. Loved the first few seasons.
    • Jack Ryan S2. I watched season 1 and plan to watch S2 unless someone says it sucks.
    • Fleabag. On my list unless someone says it sucks.

Shows I am really looking forward to for their next seasons:
    • Better Call Saul (AMC)
    • Mindhunter (Netflix)
    • Narcos/Narcos Mexico (Netflix)
    • Succession (HBO)
    • Black Mirror (Netflix) - but those last four episodes were terrible...might have jumped the shark.
    • Bosch (Amazon Prime) - last season (5) was the best one. Seems to keep getting better.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. captain insano

captain insano Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4,581
    I like Jack Ryan. I love bosch and better call saul. mindhunter is excellent. I'm still watching billions. Band of brothers is great. And if you love band of brothers. You will love this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +35,639
    Wife and I are looking forward to the upcoming new season of Outlander (Starz). Note: if unfamiliar with this series, start from the beginning at On Demand or it won't make a lot of sense to you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +9,114
    The Outsider is too dark...literally. Can’t see a damn thing.

5. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +9,114
    Heard not great things about Ryan season 2 btw. Check out the Americans if you haven’t yet. And I know it’s network but heard good things about Evil...big thumbs up from Stephen King

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. patsrj

patsrj Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +313
    Didn't like jack Ryan s2 but billions I still like it, even though it gets a little repetitive.
    My favorites from 2019 were the mandalorian s1, Mr robot final season and the Witcher.
    I'd recommend true detective season 3 (or season 1 if you didn't see).
    It was already mentioned, but any fan of band of Brothers should watch the pacific asap

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,395
    Great thread! Been thinking of my selections. Big fan of Better Call Saul. Billions a little over my head (financial dealings). Will always have HBO as the next one is always awesome. Like Kominski Method with Michael Douglas and and Alan Arkin for light comedy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +28,865
    After five years, my wife finally understands why I won’t watch the LCD upstairs and watch anything dark on the plasma. There
    have been complaints recently about some shows being too dark, including GoT. Blame the idiot consumers for killing off plasmas for that bright fluorescent LCD with more pixels and better buzzwords. I hear OLED will do the trick too don’t own one.

9. captain insano

Ratings:
    +4,581
    Ray Donovan and Vikings get a thumbs up from me. Last episode was a tearjerker. lagatha sent to Valhalla.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +28,865
    I watched 3-4 seasons of Ray Donovan and liked it but felt it was getting too predictable and unrealistic. Does it rebound and get better, or are you on the earlier seasons?

11. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +28,865
    Yeah True Detective is another where I look forward to the next season. I’d rate the seasons:

S1: 9
    S2: 1
    S3: 8

Glad they got it together again...S2 was one of the biggest disasters I’ve seen on television, and the anthology-style is good because a terrible season doesn’t ruin everything.

12. supafly

supafly Completely ravaged by ghosts PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +24,596
    It was a nice bounce back, but I don’t think it was anywhere close to what S1 was. I’d keep your scores for the first two seasons, but reduce S3 from an 8 down to a 6.5, maybe a 7 at best. Are they supposed to have a fourth season?

Fargo season four will be later this year, so that and Better Call Saul are the two that I’m most excited about. I’m currently watching Succession now, but I’m early in the series since I recently started it.

Oh...and (at last) a new season of the Eric Andre show is coming soon. And Curb your enthusiasm!

• Like Like x 1
  13. captain insano

Ratings:
    +4,581
    I'm up to date in season 7. Im still into it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +28,865
    I LOVED Fargo S1&2. I heard negative things about S3 and just forgot about the show. Great suggestion...I’m going to get back to that one.

I think I just liked True Detective S3 a lot because the ending had a clearer answer, whereas S1 I thought was absolutely brilliant but felt let down with the finale. And Mahershala Ali just killed that role too...and Stephen Dorff too. But maybe I did overrate it a bit with an 8. Because the director, Carey Fukunaga, left after S1 the show still hasn’t gotten it’s secret sauce back, but overall enjoyed S3.

• Like Like x 1
  15. supafly

supafly Completely ravaged by ghosts PatsFans.com Supporter Weekly Picks Winner

Ratings:
    +24,596
    Regarding S3: Metacritic took 32 reviews and came up with a score of 89. The user score wasn’t quite as high, but was still a respectable 8.3.

It’s biggest flaw was that it simply wasn’t as good as the first two seasons, but they had set the bar very high, so it was a lot to try and live up to. There were also a couple of parts that were a bit confusing without the benefit of a second watch, and I also remember an episode or two in the middle that seemed to be a little slow. I’d be interested in hearing what you think after you’ve viewed it. Personally, I’d have both of the first two seasons around the early 90s mark, and I’d give the 3rd season a score in the mid-70s. Still worth watching for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  16. oceansizer

oceansizer Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +1,229
    Just have a look at Line of Duty. Ii is a police dramma about anti-corruption unit when every season is connected. I highly recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,395
    I liked the first two seasons of the Good Fight, but not the 3rd season. Take off of The Good Wife.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,356
    Narcos, longmire, the expanse, ozarks, the Amerikans, the boys are some of my favorites. Jack Ryan 2 was an new view of clear and present danger. It was pretty good, but not like 1.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ice_Ice_Brady

Ratings:
    +28,865
    Someone else recommends The Boys, and I’ll check it out. I meant to put Ozark on my list of seasons I’m looking forward to....solid show. I’ve tried to get into The Americans like 20 times and always something happens in my life to interrupt it...that’s the problem with watching when your spouse wants to watch too. Think I’ll just binge watch it late at night without telling her...lol

20. Pat the Pats Fan

Pat the Pats Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +3,356
    most of these I watched while on the treadmill each day.