PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fantastic night for Phillip Dorsett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simpelton

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Dorsett led the team in receiving yards and took 2 balls across the line. For a guy who half the board wanted to cut, he had one heck of a game 1.

Brady was mentioning all preseason that he's been developing chemistry with Dorsett , I think he literally called PD "fun to throw to" at one point and we sure saw that. Dude's got some speed and can definitely get open down the field, he showed that last night.

If defenses have to take Dorsett seriously, alongside our other heavier weapons, this could be a fun season. Like they go to cover 1 zone to double team Gordon on a short route where he can use his hands and body, but McD throws Brown down one sideline and Dorsett down the other and White mucking around down by the first down marker. Good luck guys!

I’d like to see an in-season extension for PD. He is a really good complementary piece, much like Hogan in 2016 or the way a guy like Gaffney used to be. As long as there are a couple of other great WRs out there drawing the coverage their way, Dorsett can be a really big problem for defenses.

Dorsett led the team in receiving yards and took 2 balls across the line. For a guy who half the board wanted to cut, he had one heck of a game 1.

Brady was mentioning all preseason that he's been developing chemistry with Dorsett , I think he literally called PD "fun to throw to" at one point and we sure saw that. Dude's got some speed and can definitely get open down the field, he showed that last night.

If defenses have to take Dorsett seriously, alongside our other heavier weapons, this could be a fun season. Like they go to cover 1 zone to double team Gordon on a short route where he can use his hands and body, but McD throws Brown down one sideline and Dorsett down the other and White mucking around down by the first down marker. Good luck guys!
You forgot to add gordon and the squirrel

I guess he isn't getting cut for AB after all.

They used him beautifully. When he came out of college I thought he would be such an interesting chess piece, maybe like a DeSean Jackson. As it turns out DJ is quite unique, not many people of his size can play on the outside and outrun coverages.

Dorsett is not strong enough to play outside and not built like a traditional slot but he can be murder when lined up in the slot and sent deep. The Steelers got a taste of what the rest of the league will see. Dorsett clear out deep middle, Edelman owns the short middle and Gordon \ Brown become nightmares on the boundary and with crossing patterns.

McDaniels is feeling it, going to be fun to watch.

I’d like to see an in-season extension for PD. He is a really good complementary piece, much like Hogan in 2016 or the way a guy like Gaffney used to be. As long as there are a couple of other great WRs out there drawing the coverage their way, Dorsett can be a really big problem for defenses.
This is where having a guy like Dorsett really pays huge dividends.

We’ve seen over the years situations where the Pats face strong WRs, and emphasize locking down the #1 and #2, and forcing those #3/#4 guys to make plays to beat them. Typically, just by the nature of the way rosters are, those secondary options are often younger and inexperienced, or simply just can’t really hack it when having to shoulder a heavier load.

Back to Dorsett, his growing familiarity with the offense and sure handedness make him perfect in this role. Even in the event teams somehow find ways to neutralize Gordon/Edelman/Brown (good luck), Dorsett has the tools to beat guys he should beat, and allow the offense to keep on rolling.

I thought he might be cut for AB, egg on my face. No idea who we cut. Maybe Meyers.

That second TD catch was so easy that I was sure they wouldn't connect on it. The ball seemed to hang in the air forever watching it in person. Man that was awesome.

That second TD catch was so easy that I was sure they wouldn't connect on it. The ball seemed to hang in the air forever watching it in person. Man that was awesome.
But of course Tom Brady has a weak arm. LOL

That long wide open touchdown reminded me of a line from "Secretariat", when he was 30 lengths ahead at the Belmont and the trainer yelled, "Ronnie don't fall off".

PD, don't miss it...

Dorsett reminds me of David Patten
Someone else said that during TC. I said he has alot of production to do if he's going to be Patten but maybe you guys are onto something.

I’ve never seen a team make the loss of the one of the greatest offensive offense weapons ever (Gronk) become forgotten so quickly. To me, the big “if” will always be about Gordon. I think Brown will add tremendous value and there’s little doubt about that. And so Gordon becomes less essential (that is, with Brown they’d still be darn good without Gordon.). But if they have Gordon available, this might be the greatest group of WRs ever assembled, plus White and Burkhead.

He had a great game but this is what happens when Edelman and Gordon command the attention of the best dbs. He gets to tee off against the 3rd and4th cbs. It gets even more ridiculous with Brown in and we have 4-5 wr sets.

As an aside, Dorsett is fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing