PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fanspeak Mock Draft Game

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So I figured why not, let's play GM for the Patriots and see how well I can do in the draft!
I used fanspeak.com CBS rankings with Fanspeak draft needs.

Here are my results and comments:

32: R1P32
DL DEXTER LAWRENCE
CLEMSON

Simply the best available player left on the board. Hockensen and Fant were gone so I picked a guy who can hopefully help clog the middle. As BB said there are not that many athletic 300+ lb men on the planet. At 6-4 340 with his combo of athleticism and size, this seemed the BPA selection.

56: R2P24
TE IRV SMITH JR.
ALABAMA

Gronk retired. ASJ has never put it all together. Irv Smith Jr is one of the fastest tight ends available in the draft running a 4.63 40 and could be a potential pass catching mismatch against linebackers and safeties. He needs to improve his strength and blocking but we get a possible #1 TE replacement for the Pats.

64: R2P32
WR HAKEEM BUTLER
IOWA ST.

6'5 running a 4.48 40, Butler is big, fast, and physical. He's a back shoulder throw, 50/50 jump ball nightmare for CBs to cover. Butler presents mismatch problems at the X position and also has the physicality to routes over the middle. He projects to be an Anquan Boldin type of wideout.

73: R3P9
WR ANDY ISABELLA
MASSACHUSETTS

I could have gone a lot of ways here but decided to go with the local kid from Umass. Isabella has top end speed and draftniks compare him to Danny Amendola in terms of toughness and route running ability. A faster Amendola? Sign me up! Watch out NFL, Brady is getting weapons this year!

97: R3P33
QB WILL GRIER
WEST VIRGINIA

The heir apparent. A heady QB who has potential and enough arm strength to sling the ball. Needs improvement in read speed and technique, but who better to learn behind for the next 3-4 years than Brady?

101: R3P37
RB DAVID MONTGOMERY
IOWA ST.

A value pick even though we are stacked at RB. Montgomery is a powerful runner with good pass catching ability as a checkdown receiver. Can never get enough 'fresh tires' in the NFL as runningbacks are the quickest to wear out. Could eventually make a great 1-2 punch with Michel down the line.

134: R4P32
OT ISAIAH PRINCE
OHIO ST.

At 6'6 305 lbs, Prince has all the physical abilities but at times has been labeled as an underachiever who failed to live up to his athletic ceiling. Who better to pull out that potential than coach Dante?

205: R6P32
LB CAMERON SMITH
USC

Not the most imposing physical frame at 6'2 238 lbs but his greatest asset is his high football IQ. Rarely takes a wrong step and quarterbacked the USC defense, making their play calls. Good fundamental tackler with good field awareness and also a 2 year captain. Seems to exhibit the type of character that BB loves to coach up.

239: R7P25
DL CORTEZ BROUGHTON
CINCINNATI

Blew up at the Senior Bowl, impressing with his athleticism. Praised for high motor and ability to bend the corner at his size. An upside pick who might develop into a contributor in the future.

243: R7P29
G PHIL HAYNES
WAKE FOREST

6'4 322 lbs guard has a powerful build. Shows good toughness and strength. Strong hands and good punch but needs to improve his pad level and quickness off the snap.

246: R7P32
TE DONALD PARHAM
STETSON

Brings basketball skills and an oversized 6'8 frame to present an instant mismatch at the TE position. Could help make up for our loss of redzone presence with Gronk's retirement. Very raw in terms of skill but his athleticism and potential are worth taking a chance on.

252: R7P38
S ANDREW WINGARD
WYOMING

If he sticks will contribute initially mostly on special teams. Could play either safety position, though is probably more suited to strong safety. Wingard is a solid tackler who racks up the tackles at a very high rate, over 100+ tackles in 3/4 years. Doesn't feature plus athleticism. Most famous for his flowing golden locks. ;)

So how did you like this draft? Did it address most of your needs for the Pats? How would you do it different? Feel free to take a stab at it yourself and post your draft results!

I love it! Especially the skill position picks and the late round gems Broughton and Wingard.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back