PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FA WRs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
We gave up a 4th rounder for Randy. I know Larry has been quiet in not publicly telling AZ that he wants out, but he definitely wants out. They need the money off the books to rebuild, have the foundations of a good defense, and Ryan is a better QB prospect than anyone available in the draft.

I'd make it a 1st rounder if Mallett starts 15 or more games and leads them to the playoffs, a 2nd rounder if the starts 12-14 games and they have 0.500 or better record, and a 3rd rounder if otherwise.

Difference is Randy wasn't playing well, Larry is. He's still only 29 I'm sure somebody with give up a definite 1st and more like a 2nd or 3rd at least. Mallett hasn't really shown anything, hard to see a big trade based around him.

What is fitzgerald's contract? If he's expensive enough then he's not worth it.

Who would be a good fit...scratch that....Who do you want on our roster next year of these potential FAs. Odds are very good we look to free agency for our WR needs seeing as how rookie receivers can be unpredictable.

Greg Jennings
Mike Wallace
Dwayne Bowe
Josh Cribbs
Danny Amendola
Kevin Ogletree
Brian Hartline
Donald Driver
Randy Moss

From that list, I would persue Jennings, Wallace, Ogletree & Hartline. Priority #1 is, of course,
to re-sign Welker. Re-signing Edelman shouldn't be too difficult; he is more valuable to us than he is
to any other team.
There's also a 2011 4th-rounder, currently on Philly's roster, about whom I would inquire.
Maybe McD has an opinion on him...

According to Rotoworld, the relationship between Percy Harvin and Leslie Frazier has rapidly deteriorated. They are reporting it is possible a 2nd or a 3rd round pick for Percy Harvin may be enough (according to someone working in NFL personnel) to pry him away from the Vikings. Where do we sign up?

Last edited:
Getting rid of Welker and then signing someone like Wallace would be completely and utterly moronic.

I'd rather keep the offense we have now and aim to improve our secondary with salary cap space.

We run a 3 WR set 40% or so of the time. Your suggestion is

Lloyd
mid-level free agent
Edelman
rookie
Slater

That's simply not reasonable; and yes it is horrible. As we know by now, the rookie will likely be inactive for almost the entire season. It takes that long to learn the system and get Brady's confidence.

We have Welker and Branch now. Presuming that the mid-level free agent would be able to replace Branch, we are left with replacing Welker with Edelman. I'm not buying.

Then we build around Gronk, Hernandez, Lloyd and Edelman, a rookie and a mid-level free agent receiver. Still not horrible.

Besides we'll also have a sprinter on the team next year in Demps, who knows how we use him.

Personally one of the things i think needs to be looked at is would you rather Welker in your 2wr 2 TE offense or Greg Jennings?

Can you do more with Welker in the 2wr 2te or Jennings?

When thinking about it there is no question Wes is Elite and the best slot receiver in the game and still very good.

but would having Lloyd and Jennings outside with Hernandez and GRONK inside be better for this team? and make us tougher to defend?

Because that is the type of money Welker is after. Personally i think Welker is great and one of my favorite players on this team, plays his heart out and deserves a ring. But i am not sure it wouldn't be better for this team to have Lloyd and Jennings/Wallace on the outside with Gronk on the inside with Hern... Edelman as well.

Look i am not sure i have the answer to that but looking objectively i can see the thought process of having a guy like Jennings at that spot and making this offense really be about runing the ball, PA pass, TE's and guys who can then beat that 1 on 1 coverage on the outside. This to me is what will lengthen Brady's career and keep us on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes