PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ex Denver Bronco Lineman goes nuts - Has fluid on brain

Nobody should let their kids play this sport.

the long term damage is not worth the risk.

why do you watch the sport then if you don't support it enough to want kids to play it?

Nobody should let their kids play this sport. the long term damage is not worth the risk.
No one who actually played football and understands the uniquely valuable life lessons it teaches young people would agree with this. The sport is constantly being revised both in player technique and equipment to be ever safer. And as I've posted before, medical science eventually will solve the brain injury issue via prevention and treatment across ALL sports (football isn't the only place this happens). But your condemnation also begs the question: why the hell are you supposedly a fan of an NFL team? Seems more than a bit hypocritical.

Last edited:

I'm letting my son play after spending a lot of time researching the issue. I feel good about that decision. There's a lot of positives that he's getting from playing a team sport that he enjoys playing.

I didn't let him start playing contact football until he was in middle school and I personally verified the quality of his helmet. I'm at each game and will pull him from a game if I feel it's necessary although it seems his team's coaches are more cautious than I am.

From what I've read the severe CTE cases including the suspected cases are of players that:

1. Started playing at a young age.
2. Played with poor quality equipment.
3. Started playing during a time before CTE awareness. Or during the "suck it up and be a man" mentality.
4. Played on the Offensive or Defensive lines.

Those factors have all changed for the most part so I doubt we'll see the same levels of severity in the future as we are seeing now.

Anyway I understand the concerns and would not fault anyone for choosing otherwise but for me personally I'm enjoying watching him play.

He just snagged his first interception last week. Haha.

2000 years ago today...

"Quintas...I don't think we should let little Marcus Antonius perform in the emperor's Circus Maximus anymore...those swords are dangerous!"

"I agree, Josepha...if only there was a safer way..."

Later on centuries later...

21449775-men-with-beard-posing-as-knight-with-coat-of-arms-and-swords-against-medieval-buldings-and-blue-sky.jpg

Robert the Bruce had CTE?

Perhaps*. That said, there are many cell phone apps that do.
Not perhaps.

When you travel and pass through time zones your phone automatically adjusts because it has found a cell tower in the new time zone.

No app is involved.

Relative risk doubles every 2.6 years a person participates in football, per the most recent studies. Now the sample is still convenience, baseline risk is by nature very low so it takes several instances of compounded doubling to get to a meaningful risk factor, and it may very well be that this smoothing sublimates issues unique to the highest level of the game... but the evidence suggests that NFL players are only more likely to develop CTE simply because they play more football for longer. This is true of a lot of other public health issues - there's no safe amount of smoking, but smoking for one year is much less likely to lead to major harm than smoking twenty.

Hmmm would you blame me if I was hesitant to believe that it’s a linear relationship there and rather a concave curve lol

An additional year of high school football is just as risky as an additional year of nfl football with the biggest guys on earth, rampant drug use, and much more violent collisions?

Hmmm would you blame me if I was hesitant to believe that it’s a linear relationship there and rather a concave curve lol

An additional year of high school football is just as risky as an additional year of nfl football with the biggest guys on earth, rampant drug use, and much more violent collisions?

I don't think you're entirely incorrect, but most of the researchers on CTE theorize that the pathology results as an accumulation of minor trauma, not as a result of the most "violent collisions."

In other words, it's a result of getting your helmet smacked or banged together daily in practice over and over for years. This theory comes from examining the brains of soccer players, who have also developed CTE from constantly heading the ball but only very rarely suffer major collisions. High school football players are emgaged in this not so differently than NFL players, albeit for a shorter time period each year and normally for only a few years, so the relative risk is much lower, but it's pretty clear there's no amount of exposure to tackle football that's totally safe for avoiding CTE... and no one will know you have it until you die, either, which is the even scarier thing.

Then why are you & others who share your view New England Patriots FOOTBALL fans in the first place?

Hypocrites.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back