PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Estadio Azteca Damaged [can game be played in Mexico City after earthquake?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLIX

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
"Considerable structural damage" opens the possibility to cancelling the trip to Mexico and bringing it back to Oakland.

Mexico City earthquake leaves massive crack in two-time World Cup final venue

Mexico-earthquake.jpg

Very strange quote in the article....

However, others say the crack seen in a images and video widely circulated on social media is in fact part of the stadium's design to avoid damage.

So it seems to be completely up in the air.... maybe the reporter simply got it wrong..... obviously right now the authorities have more important things to attend to, so I am sure we will find out more in the coming days.

I've already got my flight booked to Mexico then several days in Puerta Vallarta afterwards. I hope everyone is safe. I better check damage reports.

I honestly don't know what to believe at this point. Some people are saying that crack is there as part of the stadium design. I am no engineer, but it sure does look awfully straight and right-angled to be a crack that appeared due to damage.....

My thread may be completely wrong and if so, I apologize for passing on inaccurate info....

Well, it's not like they're going there next week. Plenty of time to fix it. But I'm not sure it's a crack caused by an earthquake.

Would a straight line indicate it is by design?
As I noted above, I am no structural engineer.... I just think that a crack from earthquake damage would likely be a bit jagged.... so yes, being perfectly straight and right-angled suggests to me it was designed and built in... but I gladly admit right now I have no idea what is going on and I am certainly not qualified to make an educated assessment, so I am just wild-ass-guessing.

There are no other outlets confirming the news. So I am leaning towards an errant reporter, but we shall see.....

it's not a crack. here's a picture from before when they were painting the stadium.

azulazteca.jpg

It's probably built that way so it will flex when there is an earthquake.

This story probably got started by someone on Twitter and some dummy ran with it.

This story probably got started by someone on Twitter and some dummy ran with it.

Just like expansion "cracks" they put in highways so that they can expand or contract with the heat/cold and not damage the roadway. Bridges also have them.

Well the "dummy on twitter" who started the story is a Fox Sports Mexico Reporter... so I think that is what gave it the initial credibility....

I have altered the thread title to reflect recent devlopments

Well the "dummy on twitter" who started the story is a Fox Sports Mexico Reporter... so I think that is what gave it the initial credibility....

Like reporters these days don't get their stories from one possibly fake source on Twitter.

Thing is, this Mexican reporter should know better.

Last edited:
Hope the damage is minimal and not too many people were hurt or killed. I'm headed to Mexico City for the Day of the Dead festivities at the end of October. The city and country has a long history of deadly quakes- it sits on top of three of the large tectonic plates of the Earth's surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes