PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: 49ers forfeit 5th, swap 3rd with Bears for tampering with Briggs [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to this story from the Chronicle, the 49ers never even made contact with Rosenhaus. And in another scenario, they attemptd to make contact in an effort to beat the trade deadline. So I don't know how this can be compared to the blatant videotaping of defensive signals.

We will never know the truth in the matter. All we know is the 49ers dispute the claims although it goes against what they stated publically in the past on this matter.

My guess is that they did attempt to contact Rosenhaus to do a deal. Their excuse that they were contacting him about a no name WR that was available on the open market right before the trade deadline seems to be a little fishy of an excuse. It could be true, but I doubt it.

I will say that Goodell didn't seem to have the goods on 49ers to actually prove they tampered, but I am guessing that their story was transparent enough to allow him to make up a decision.

this is efin pathetic...

goodell still has some time to reinstate our 1st round pick....and he better do it too
Come on. No way that happens.

sdfan

Well, weren't both teams found guilty of something that had previously been allowed, at least tacitly, by the league? Aren't both teams on record as saying that their interpretation of the applicable rule(s) was different than the league's? Well, guess what..... according to the league, both teams cheated. And, according to common sense, what SF did (tampering) was more likely to lead to a serious long-term advantage to them and a serious long-term disadvantage for the aggrieved team. Therefore, the 49ers should have been punished more severely than the Patriots were.

No NFL team was ever allowed to video tape defensive signals, no matter where the camera was positioned, so let's stop with that. Both teams cheated, that's plain and simple. What I don't understand is how you think the 49ers should have been punished more severely when they never even made contact with Rosenhaus. No tampering even happened. In the end, a player and agent choose where they want to go and just because you call them first doesn't guarantee anything. Unless, you're Asante Samuel.

This is a ridiculous penalty. In fact it almost encourages tampering, as long as you get the verbal agreement to sign a contract. Instead of getting into a bidding war for this player, you can have him at x price and lose a 5th round pick?
Plus whatever compensation the 49ers would have had to give the Bears as part of the deal. Remember Briggs wasn't a free agent. I believe the penalty would have been much harsher if Briggs had been an unrestricted free agent and had been signed by SF. As it was there was no deal and Briggs re-signed with the Bears anyway.

sdfan

I'm sure someone else already mentioned this, but will the Patriots be switching one of their picks with the Eagles soon? After all, even Peter King knew about the contact going on between Samuel and the Eagles well before the start of free agency....:rolleyes:
The Eagles should have to switch places with every team in the league too then. After all by tampering they kept all other teams from getting a chance at Samuel.

sdfan

No NFL team was ever allowed to video tape defensive signals, no matter where the camera was positioned, so let's stop with that. Both teams cheated, that's plain and simple. What I don't understand is how you think the 49ers should have been punished more severely when they never even made contact with Rosenhaus. No tampering even happened. In the end, a player and agent choose where they want to go and just because you call them first doesn't guarantee anything. Unless, you're Asante Samuel.

Because they did make contact. That is why they were punished. Did you think he just took away the pick because he felt like it? There had to be some evidence. If there wasn't evidence of tampering then they wouldn't have been punished. Some "source" saying otherwise doesn't make any sense what so ever.

Also, you forget that the 49ers are repeat offenders. First salary cap violations now free agent tampering. They almost definitely should be punished more harshly for that fact alone. If you think otherwise, please explain why tampering deserves less of a punishment of videotaping.

You are wrong about the filming. This has been proven, repeatedly. Go read the rule or read one of seemingly thousands of threads on the issue.

As for tampering, of course it happened. The league says so, and that's the same way we know the Patriots violated a rule they didn't violate.

Last edited:
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=391007

Yep, Florio did use my joke, as he told me he would:

Will Briggs ruling set precedent against tampering?
Posted: March 24, 2008

Upon learning that the NFL had slapped the knuckles of the San Francisco 49ers for tampering with Lance Briggs, one must ask whether an asterisk will be affixed to the Niners' stellar 5-win season.

Obviously, it won't. But what the 49ers did by contacting the agent of the Chicago Bears linebacker is no different than what the New England Patriots did by videotaping the New York Jets' defensive coaching signals. Stealing signals makes it easier to figure out the formations that the offense will face on game day. Speaking with the agents for players under contract with other teams creates a potential benefit on game day by helping a team acquire better players.

Though the Niners didn't sign the player with whom they tampered, attempted cheating is still cheating. The league was right to punish the 49ers, assuming the evidence suggested that tampering indeed occurred. Moving forward, the big question is whether the league intended the Briggs decision to be a one-time thing, or whether commissioner Roger Goodell's ruling represents a sea change aimed at wiping out a tidal wave of tampering.

As a league source told SportingNews.com on Monday night in the wake of the tampering announcement, "The 49ers are not the first team to do it. They are not the first to get caught. They are the first to be punished."

Indeed, many teams routinely engage in unauthorized contact with the agents of players who are the property of other franchises. A high-level official with an NFL team once told me that his team decided to join the tampering parade only because failure to do so was creating a competitive disadvantage.

The victim in each case is the player's current team. Tampering undermines the team's ability to re-sign the player because the player and his agent know other teams are ready to pay more money.

Under Monday's ruling, no team should tamper. Under Monday's ruling, the 49ers should instantly file tampering charges against the Miami Dolphins for reaching an agreement with guard Justin Smiley moments after the free-agency period opened on February 29. Under Monday's ruling, every other team that finds itself on the wrong side of tampering should make a claim to that effect.

The penalty imposed on the 49ers creates an incentive to break from the Sgt. Schultz mentality that teams typically have employed in the past. As part of the sanction, the Bears and the Niners flip-flopped third-round picks, giving the Bears a five-spot upgrade.

Thus, teams who choose not to tamper could gain more in the long run if they are willing to cry foul when their players are tampered with. Therein lies the path to eradicating tampering from the game; by making it advantageous for teams to point fingers when their interests have been compromised by tampering, more franchises will be caught and, in time, fewer will risk it.

Still, whether tampering continued unabated or never happens again, it is cheating, it is wrong, and the teams that do it should endure the same kind of finger-wagging that the Patriots have experienced.

Mike Florio writes and edits ProFootballTalk.com and is a regular contributor to Sporting News.

Under Monday's ruling, no team should tamper. Under Monday's ruling, the 49ers should instantly file tampering charges against the Miami Dolphins for reaching an agreement with guard Justin Smiley moments after the free-agency period opened on February 29. Under Monday's ruling, every other team that finds itself on the wrong side of tampering should make a claim to that effect.

The penalty imposed on the 49ers creates an incentive to break from the Sgt. Schultz mentality that teams typically have employed in the past. As part of the sanction, the Bears and the Niners flip-flopped third-round picks, giving the Bears a five-spot upgrade.

Thus, teams who choose not to tamper could gain more in the long run if they are willing to cry foul when their players are tampered with. Therein lies the path to eradicating tampering from the game; by making it advantageous for teams to point fingers when their interests have been compromised by tampering, more franchises will be caught and, in time, fewer will risk it.

For once, I agree with Florio--by giving teams an incentive to come forward, the NFL might actually slow down the wave of tampering.

Personally, I think a better solution would be a change in the way FA works (e.g., a cool-down period when teams are free to negotiate, but no player may sign a contract with a new team).

The days before the open season we should have all our future free agents walk around with their ****s hanging out and get the cameras zoomed in to see who pulls. Maybe we could somehow got enough swaps to get eventually equal our first being lost, if that is how the game is gonna be played.

I think the 49ers should have one of their wins taken away... and thus the Pats should now own the #3 overall pick. :D

They have the Colts' #29 pick.

And there's no way the Pats' #7 would have been taken. Everyone knows that would be absolutely ridiculous, and wouldn't punish the 49ers at all.

He was sarcastic, saying Goodell would find a way to punish the Patriots. It was sarcasm.

Isn't it funny Goodell hasn't looked into the fact that Peter King Knew all about Samuel's deal before it happened. I guess there are different strokes for different folks.

I'm not sure, but wasn't that pre-memo. If I remember that is what prompted the the memo.

No NFL team was ever allowed to video tape defensive signals, no matter where the camera was positioned, so let's stop with that. ...

He is saying it happened and the league let teams handle it on their own. Are you purposefully being obtuse?:D

Tampering with other teams personnel has always been against the rules. You can go back to the Dolphins tampering with Shula when he was the Colt's coach and that they were fined a first roungd draft pick.
The Pats can if they want file a teampering complaint against the Eagles to frost the azz of Goodell and Spector. I wonder if the blowhard is in favor of enforcing all the rules against cheating. Maybe Leahy and Kennedy can hold hearing about the Eagles cheating.

Why isn't Arlan Spectum all over this one? It is directly related to competition AND compensation. Isn't that what the Antitrust excemption all about? Isn't that where his "concern" about Spygate comes from?

How is Spygate worse than this from his point of view? Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes