PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ernie Sims at safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecrazyeye

On the Roster
Reaction score
This guy was a great OLB at FSU but is too small to be a linebacker in our system. I know that he has speed and athleticism, so is there any chance that if he drops at all we could pick him up as an eventual rodney replacement? I dont know much about his coverage skills, just throwing it out there.

Coach Steele claimed he graded out around 95% on pass coverge. The NFL graded him a second rounder. He has the speed(4.4) 6-2 220 nice size

"When the dust settled, Sims ran a 4.39 40-yard dash (fourth best on the team), leaped 39.5 inches in the vertical jump (tied for second), ran a blazing 3.95 second shuttle run (second best), and finished it all off with a 10.8" broad jump (top five). The first thing he did after completing the last test was to share what he had accomplished with his family."
As good as his numbers were, his coverage on tight end Vernon Davis might have been the best thing he did all afternoon.
Coming into the game, Davis led the Terps in catches (28), receiving yards (538) and receiving touchdowns (3). More often than not, especially on third down, Sims was given the difficult responsibility of covering him one-on-one. Through the first three and a half quarters the athletic 6-foot-4, 265-pound tight end was held to just one reception. He made a couple late catches when Sims was not in coverage, but nothing that led to a Maryland score.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=499392[/url]

Last edited:
if we wanted him wed have to get him with our first rounder (we could trade down depending on how he does at the combine, but i expect his stock to shoot to top 32 easily) or trade up from our second rounder, i wouldnt mind seeing us trading down, picking up an extra pick/ player, drafting ernie with out first rounder, then taking maurice drew

He is NOT to small to play LB.

Remember Derrick Brooks? He was too small coming into of FSU too. Last I checked, he worked out pretty well at OLB.

drewdagreat said:
He is NOT to small to play LB.

Remember Derrick Brooks? He was too small coming into of FSU too. Last I checked, he worked out pretty well at OLB.

You can't compare a 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 OLB. They are 2 diffeent positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back