End of Season thoughts after a few days of reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at peace with this loss.

Prior playoff losses were agonizing.............if they just made this play here or that play there, we could have won that game and the whole championship.

After seeing them struggle at the end of the season (including home games), and continue to struggle against Tennessee as the game was unfolding I'll be honest I was thinking............even if they pull out this game I don't see them winning the whole thing. I don't see them winning two games on the road and another in the Super Bowl.

Their offense has been held under 20 points in the past, but when it happens you consider it an anomaly. The defense either played outstanding or the Pats made uncharacteristic mistakes, but you knew if they replayed the game a couple of times they would score 24+ in those rematches.

Well, the same can't be said about Saturday night. The Pats scored 13 points, but that was what their offense was........a 13 point offense. If they played Tennesse three more times there is no guarantee they score over 24+ in any of those games. They are what we thought they were, and that wasn't good enough.

I'm still at peace with it though.

We lost a hard fought game to a team I don't hate. An early exit doesn't have the same agonizing 'oh soooo close' feel as a Championship or Super Bowl game loss does. Oh, and it's a REALLY REALLY bad look if you cry about NOT going to 4 Super Bowls in a row. We've been lucky, and this is an opportunity where we can just appreciate what we've had and take this loss in a mature fashion.

" take this loss in a mature fashion."

My arse! I'm going to sulk and curse and bang my head against the wall for at least another week! While still bemoaning, Julian's drop, Shaq's illegal downfield, and three sweeps to the left after 1st and goal from the one. With the caveat, we should have gone for it, 4th & 6 with 3 minutes to go instead of punting.
upload_2020-1-7_13-10-4.png

I didn't want to say too much about it right after the game, so I'll toss out some observations now that the game's further in the rear....

Offense:

• This game was lost on two drives, not just one. Everyone has been pointing to the first and goal drive, but less discussed is the drive where Watson made the big completion, only to have the play called back.
  • Harry was freakin' awful.
  • I've made my comments about BB's ****ty coaching already, so I'll just put it here generally.
  • Bailey didn't quite crash and burn, but he came close.
  • Folk, on the other hand, may have done well enough in his time with the Patriots that he keeps the gig for next year.
  • Brady's offense let him down again. That's a pattern that's probably behind more of his frustration than the contract issue.
  • Michel started out well. What happened? Well, what happened was that his stats were deceiving. His gains were very inconsistent. They were pretty much the RB version of feast or famine.
  • Sanu's continued poor play has to raise the possibility that he's not coming back.
  • I mentioned the possibility of the team moving Wynn inside. Well, whether they do that or not, they probably need to look for two OTs, because they've got to look for the Cannon replacement.
  • Given the nature of Develin's injury, Roberts may want to keep his focus on improving at FB.
  • I didn't understand the lack of usage of Burkhead. I still don't. I'm not saying it was bad. I'm just saying that I don't understand it. His running was stymied, but Michel had a lot of nothing runs, too.
  • Mason needs to get healthy, whether it's more physical or mental, because this team can't afford him to play at this low level.

Defense:

• If this team keeps the same alignment base next year, Wise needs to be gone.
  • I think the need for a more stout run stuffer on the line became clear in this game.
  • It's time to seriously look for the Chung replacement.
  • It's also time to look for a more fluid cover LB.
  • People will point to the number of points allowed, and try claiming the defense played well, but that's a bad misread of this game. The defense let the team down in this one.

@Deus Irae , I hear ya, I think the reality is that they weren't a strong enough team to have the same margin of error they've had in years past.

For some reason I take solace in reminding myself that at least I'm not a part of the Buffalo or New Orleans fanbase.
The Bills fans so excited to just get to the playoffs and going out in the first round after dominating the majority of their game and the Saints knocked out again this year after a controversial call.

• I think the need for a more stout run stuffer on the line became clear in this game.
  • People will point to the number of points allowed, and try claiming the defense played well, but that's a bad misread of this game. The defense let the team down in this one.

I don't think the defense let the team down.

The issue is the defense was constructed to be an elite pass defense with lets say below average run defense. Given how pass heavy the league generally is this is a competent way to construct your defense.

The problem was that the Titans have an elite RB, and the offense was so poor that the Titans did not have to be honest and could essentially ignore passing the ball.

I've been reflecting my 10 years as a season ticket holder: 10 time AFC East Champions. 5 time AFC Champions. 3 time Superbowl Champions. Hell, going back to my 10 years as as wait list member add 6 more AFC East championships, 4 AFC championships, 3 Superbowl championships. Thats 31 Hats and t-shirts. Am I at peace? Hell yes! Edit: i am having a hard time lnowing what to do the rest of January now that the Patriots season is over. Ive forgotten.

I didn't want to say too much about it right after the game, so I'll toss out some observations now that the game's further in the rear....

Offense:

• This game was lost on two drives, not just one. Everyone has been pointing to the first and goal drive, but less discussed is the drive where Watson made the big completion, only to have the play called back.
  • Harry was freakin' awful.
  • I've made my comments about BB's ****ty coaching already, so I'll just put it here generally.
  • Bailey didn't quite crash and burn, but he came close.
  • Folk, on the other hand, may have done well enough in his time with the Patriots that he keeps the gig for next year.
  • Brady's offense let him down again. That's a pattern that's probably behind more of his frustration than the contract issue.
  • Michel started out well. What happened? Well, what happened was that his stats were deceiving. His gains were very inconsistent. They were pretty much the RB version of feast or famine.
  • Sanu's continued poor play has to raise the possibility that he's not coming back.
  • I mentioned the possibility of the team moving Wynn inside. Well, whether they do that or not, they probably need to look for two OTs, because they've got to look for the Cannon replacement.
  • Given the nature of Develin's injury, Roberts may want to keep his focus on improving at FB.
  • I didn't understand the lack of usage of Burkhead. I still don't. I'm not saying it was bad. I'm just saying that I don't understand it. His running was stymied, but Michel had a lot of nothing runs, too.
  • Mason needs to get healthy, whether it's more physical or mental, because this team can't afford him to play at this low level.

Defense:

The points I am in total agreement with :
*the success of Folk
*the OT need
*Wise on the outs
*Chung replacement options, if not for this September, then def the next September

For some reason I take solace in reminding myself that at least I'm not a part of the Buffalo or New Orleans fanbase.
The Bills fans so excited to just get to the playoffs and going out in the first round after dominating the majority of their game and the Saints knocked out again this year after a controversial call.
Wasnt really even controversial. Their was contact from the DB too. Saints lost because their offense was trash for 3 straight quarters and Brees threw a horrible pick before the half leading too Viking points and had a horrible fumble when they were in perfect position to put the game away.

I've been reflecting my 10 years as a season ticket holder: 10 time AFC East Champions. 5 time AFC Champions. 3 time Superbowl Champions. Hell, going back to my 10 years as as wait list member add 6 more AFC East championships, 4 AFC championships, 3 Superbowl championships. Thats 31 Hats and t-shirts. Am I at peace? Hell yes! Edit: i am having a hard time knowing what to do the rest of January now that the Patriots season is over. Ive forgotten.

If you're looking for something to do I suggest the greatest game ever invented. Chess.

If you're looking for something to do I suggest the greatest game ever invented. Chess.
Or rewatch all the 3 games to glory dvds

or better yet, watching other playoff games isn’t the worst thing either....watching teams go at it with so much on the line but not having the stress of it being your own team

Simply put, the offense wasn’t good enough. That includes everybody not named Edelman, Thuney or White.

Simply put, the offense wasn’t good enough. That includes everybody not named Edelman, Thuney or White.

I have a hard time blaming Brady either. Not because I think he's entirely blameless, just that it's impossible to truly evaluate his play given the turmoil around him all year.

I will never understand calling the same (failed) play three times in a row at the goal line.

I agree, first time in about 10 years im not sitting here wondering what if this play went different or what if this guy didn’t get hurt. This team wasnt close , need a strong offseason a la 2003/2007/2010

need a strong offseason a la 2003/2007/2010

Let's see if I recall all the key acquisitions those years.......

2003 - R.Harrison, A.Samuel, E.Wilson, T.Washington, R.Colvin (even though he didn't factor much into the season)
2007- R.Moss, W.Welker, D.Stallworth, A.Thomas
2010 - monster draft R.Gronkowski, D.McCourty, A.Hernandez

I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Let's see if I recall all the key acquisitions those years.......

2003 - R.Harrison, A.Samuel, E.Wilson, T.Washington, R.Colvin (even though he didn't factor much into the season)
2007- R.Moss, W.Welker, D.Stallworth, A.Thomas
2010 - monster draft R.Gronkowski, D.McCourty, A.Hernandez

I'm sure I'm forgetting some

Warren also in 2003 but you got it for the most part. Even though 2007 was 2 main guys for the most part, they both exploded, could turn any 10-12 win team into 14+

If you stop and look at the overall picture, as a fan base we have been spoiled rotten and then some. It's crazy to think that this is the first time since 2010 that the team won't be in the divisional round. I'm sure other fan bases would love a chance to have a piece of the success the Pats have had.

If you stop and look at the overall picture, as a fan base we have been spoiled rotten and then some. It's crazy to think that this is the first time since 2010 that the team won't be in the divisional round. I'm sure other fan bases would love a chance to have a piece of the success the Pats have had.
I saw the 2nd half of SB 51 today again. There were so many plays where we dropped passed , made bad throws or blocks and so many plays which they couldve been killed later in the media like the double pass to dion lewis etc that we all forget because of every other play they made and went their way. Thats the way the game goes. Over 20 yrs I would say we have had our fair share of luck , probably more than other teams 2007/11 etc not withstanding. This yr all all those little plays didnt go our way and there are no gurantees for the future either. We are blessed to even debate what went wrong in a 12-4 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes