Sun
Sep 19th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
Posting this up as a memory thread. Could be moved to the "in memoriam" forum I suppose...:whistle:

I know any of us who went to Afghanistan went through this place at some point. On a couple deployments, I wound up spending a lot of my time here. I was also that guy that met my wife in Afghanistan (the one I stayed with lol). Then there's that one Thanksgiving where the Bosnians put up a cowboys and indians display that was pretty gangster. That was the good.

I was also at one too many ramp ceremonies for better people than myself. I either rolled my eyes, laughed, ignored, or was one or twice surprised by the IDF (indirect fire) that seemed to come in bunches at times. I got frustrated by politics, balkanized organizations, slimy wings on Wing Wednesday, road closures when we were operational, and the dumb Romanian MPs with nothing better to do than pull us over for speeding or parking in the wrong spot. Czech sex parties, dumb privates ****ing in the bunkers, "wiser" NCOs and contractors taking the Kyrgyz girls to the Soviet ruins for happy times, the pot plants in the middle of the mine field...

It was the best worst time of my life.

Now the locals are looting it apparently. How the mighty have fallen. I really should have stuffed an uparmored land cruiser with gym equipment and RPGs and found a way to get that back to the States...oh well...

RIP Bagram Air Field...you'll always be Bagram AF

Post your dumb, fun, sad, insightful stories here if you want...

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I was never in the thick of things. I was just a radar repairer. They told us that we were going to Desert Storm but sent the only other depot level unit stationed at Fort Hood instead. My service was relatively easy. In fact it set me up for the rest of my life. I will always be grateful to the Army for that.

My only story at that level is of the time that reported Muslims broke through the gate in Germany and were driving through our Depot. I was on guard duty at the time. I had my M-16 but no rounds. My Sargeant of the guards asked me to patrol the parimeter. I asked for a magazine of rounds. He refused to give them to me. Haha. I asked him, "How do you expect me to patrol the parimeter knowing that "Muslims" had breached the gate without rounds?" He told me to low crawl. Hahaha. So I did. Wtf.

Nothing happened in the end and I never heard of what happened with the breach.

I've never been or seen combat and the service our young men and women are doing today make mine look like a vacation. God bless you and them.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Posting this up as a memory thread. Could be moved to the "in memoriam" forum I suppose...:whistle:

I know any of us who went to Afghanistan went through this place at some point. On a couple deployments, I wound up spending a lot of my time here. I was also that guy that met my wife in Afghanistan (the one I stayed with lol). Then there's that one Thanksgiving where the Bosnians put up a cowboys and indians display that was pretty gangster. That was the good.

I was also at one too many ramp ceremonies for better people than myself. I either rolled my eyes, laughed, ignored, or was one or twice surprised by the IDF (indirect fire) that seemed to come in bunches at times. I got frustrated by politics, balkanized organizations, slimy wings on Wing Wednesday, road closures when we were operational, and the dumb Romanian MPs with nothing better to do than pull us over for speeding or parking in the wrong spot. Czech sex parties, dumb privates ****ing in the bunkers, "wiser" NCOs and contractors taking the Kyrgyz girls to the Soviet ruins for happy times, the pot plants in the middle of the mine field...

It was the best worst time of my life.

Now the locals are looting it apparently. How the mighty have fallen. I really should have stuffed an uparmored land cruiser with gym equipment and RPGs and found a way to get that back to the States...oh well...

RIP Bagram Air Field...you'll always be Bagram AF

Post your dumb, fun, sad, insightful stories here if you want...

Czech sex parties caught my eye. In Czech, right? Not Afghanistan ...

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
You kind of stole my comment/joke. That unfortunately drew all my attention away from an otherwise great post.

As far as I'm concerned he's on the hook for an explanation (with details, of course).

Well, actually, yes...in Afghanistan. You'd be surprised to know some of the shenanigans people got up to out there.

During one of my deployments, I worked closely with the Czechs and man...they're a wild bunch...very open minded people to say the least. They knew how to have a good time. I was invited a few times, one time with this line, "you must show up. This one girl is going to be there. I had her three weeks ago. You will love her." I never attended one, aside from casually walking through their barracks while something was going on, but we were operational and were trying to get one of the dudes we needed to roll out. He wasn't "partying" but he was a little buzzed.

So you'll just have to imagine gory/sexy details of those parties lol

I heard the Bosnians used to put on sex parties, but I also heard those were super shady. Different crowd apparently.

Last edited:

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I was never in the thick of things. I was just a radar repairer. They told us that we were going to Desert Storm but sent the only other depot level unit stationed at Fort Hood instead. My service was relatively easy. In fact it set me up for the rest of my life. I will always be grateful to the Army for that.

My only story at that level is of the time that reported Muslims broke through the gate in Germany and were driving through our Depot. I was on guard duty at the time. I had my M-16 but no rounds. My Sargeant of the guards asked me to patrol the parimeter. I asked for a magazine of rounds. He refused to give them to me. Haha. I asked him, "How do you expect me to patrol the parimeter knowing that "Muslims" had breached the gate without rounds?" He told me to low crawl. Hahaha. So I did. Wtf.

Nothing happened in the end and I never heard of what happened with the breach.

I've never been or seen combat and the service our young men and women are doing today make mine look like a vacation. God bless you and them.

Thank you for your service. Great story. You served when the Army was still the Army. Tons of respect brother.

Like you, Army service has set me up for life wonderfully. Best decision I ever made.

Scotty

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
I had seen the news reports that all "foreign troops|" were shortly leaving Afganistan. I think there are still some British troops there but not many. I also saw that the Chinese government are now active in Afganistan ?

Anyway if any of you guys are still in the military take care

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I had seen the news reports that all "foreign troops|" were shortly leaving Afganistan. I think there are still some British troops there but not many. I also saw that the Chinese government are now active in Afganistan ?

Anyway if any of you guys are still in the military take care

Strategically speaking, one of the biggest blunders with the withdrawal is that we just ensured that a lot of rare earth minerals will be in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.

tom444

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Strategically speaking, one of the biggest blunders with the withdrawal is that we just ensured that a lot of rare earth minerals will be in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.
We expend lives and money and China gets the minerals.

What Confused GIF by H.E.R.

Last edited:

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
We expend lives and money and China gets the minerals.

What Confused GIF by H.E.R.

I suppose if there's a silver lining, the Afghans will hate the Chinese even more than the Westerners. It won't be easy and China can't just withdraw like we did and pretend like nothing happened since they border Afghanistan.