PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

eligible receiver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhpatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Okay, indulge my ignorance - when Ashworth reported as an eligible receiver, who exactly does he report to? And how (or is?) the other team informed of this?

Thanks in advance!

He reports to the ref. Then the ref makes an announcement over the stadium loud speaker, where in this case the ref said "#68 is reporting as an eligible receiver".

Thanks.
So, how come the other team isn't automatically clued in that a pass is likely to go to said player? Or, does BB do this many times, but only use it occassionally?

Sometimes it's a decoy, sometimes it's not.

nhpatsfan said:
Thanks.
So, how come the other team isn't automatically clued in that a pass is likely to go to said player? Or, does BB do this many times, but only use it occassionally?
Exactly. Every time you see Vrabel at TE, or Ashworth, Seymour, or Klecko at FB, they're reporting as eligible. Thus, the defense never knows what to expect, because the majority of those types of plays are runs anyway.

Thanks to both of you.
While I like being female, sometimes it bites to have never played this game I love so much. I think of a question like the one I asked, but it's almost embarrassing to ask it. So thanks for straight out honest answers, with no judgement :)

nhpatsfan said:
Thanks to both of you.
While I like being female, sometimes it bites to have never played this game I love so much. I think of a question like the one I asked, but it's almost embarrassing to ask it. So thanks for straight out honest answers, with no judgement :)
IMO there are no bad questions to ask this board, especially as you most often get great answers! Another note on this particular play- Vrabes was also in and was probably occupying most of the defenses attention! I'm still smiling at the teams reaction for Ashworth in the end zone! Way to keep the GAME a GAME, BB!!!!

I think it also has something to do with their jersey number. Running backs are supposed to be in the 30's and receivers are supposed to be in the 80's. When someone with a different number other than that is used, the other team needs to know that they have to cover that person.

I ***** you not, I called that Ashworth TD. When the announcer called 68 as an eligible receiver I turned to my buddy and said "It's going to him." Granted, it's the first time any of my predictions ever came to fruition, but I was pretty happy with it.

Touchdown Tommy Ashworth!

He wasn't the primary reciever. I think Tom was shocked to see him that open.

And PatChick87, I must disagree. I have asked some very bad and stupid questions on this board.

NH..NOT a bad question..yes it has to do with jersey numbers...so that way a defensive player knows that those players (linemen) are playing in positions where they are part of the 5 eligible receivers...It's quite normal in short yardage situations to always have a few added in..especially BB...sometimes I believe Pitss uses a OT as a TE..to get more blocking on short yardage situations..so it's NOT just as a decoy..there are other reasons for it..like getting big blockers in.

nhpatsfan said:
Thanks.
Probably because #68 and #50 both reported as eligible receivers for that play and the Bucs probably we're more focused on Vrabel rather than Ashworth.

That was such a great play .... I couldn't stop laughing. :rofl: :rofl:

NEM said:
Actually, RB's can be 20s, 30s or 40s and receivers can now be 80's and in the teens. I think.

NFL Rules dictate (but usually aren't strictly followed, except when the NFL forces the Pats to change TBC's etc, or a player plays two positions (Willie has #55, technically illegal at DE, but since he's also a LB, they let him use it) these number restrictions:

QBs 1-19
RBs 20-49
WRs 10-19, 80-89
TEs 40-49, 80-89
OL 50-79
DL 60-79, 90-99
LB 50-59, 90-99
DB 20-49
K 1-19
P 1-19

Ha, Brady said afterwords he's never even thrown Ashworth the ball in practice before.

PATSNUTme said:
He wasn't the primary reciever. I think Tom was shocked to see him that open.

He, Touchdown Tommy the QB, did say that for all of the times they practiced that play that was the first time he threw it to him, Touchdown Tommy Ashworth.

Ashworth said in a post-game interview that it was his first touchdown ever, including high school.

nhpatsfan said:
Thanks to both of you.
While 'Nut' may be the exception that proves the rule, asking football related questions to improve your understanding and appreciation of the game does not qualify as grounds for embarrassment. For whatever meager comfort it provides, my handle accurately depicts my starting point in football knowledge. ;) Besides, who says wrapping yourself in plastic to wrap your arms around sweaty lads imbued one with useful knowledge? :rolleyes:

CTPatsFan said:
I ***** you not, I called that Ashworth TD. When the announcer called 68 as an eligible receiver I turned to my buddy and said "It's going to him." Granted, it's the first time any of my predictions ever came to fruition, but I was pretty happy with it.

Touchdown Tommy Ashworth!

Good Call CTPats....:)

In the very first playoff game against Pittsburgh (the 2001 season) - my buddy, in my living room, as Pittsburgh lined up to punt said "We're going to block this and run it back for a TD" . Not more than 2-3 seconds later, there's the block, then the lateral, then it's in Troy's hands running it back for a TD....! Incredible, greatest call I have ever heard to this day....we both then went beserk - and on a level I may never see again.....:)

Box_O_Rocks said:
While 'Nut' may be the exception that proves the rule, asking football related questions to improve your understanding and appreciation of the game does not qualify as grounds for embarrassment. For whatever meager comfort it provides, my handle accurately depicts my starting point in football knowledge. ;) Besides, who says wrapping yourself in plastic to wrap your arms around sweaty lads imbued one with useful knowledge? :rolleyes:
There you go again Box, raising the quality of this board again! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back