On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Some Mexicans Upset By Bill Belichick’s Ignorant Remark About Earthquakes

Belichick thankful there was no earthquake while in Mexico

I love this. Watch the complete contradiction from SI within the span of two paragraphs (bolded and italicized for emphasis)...

Bill Belichick’s joke about being thankful there was no earthquake while the Patriots were in Mexico City did not go over well with Mexicans.

“Players did a great job dealing with all the challenges that we had to deal with,” Belichick said on WEEI’s “Dale and Keith with Holley” radio show Monday afternoon. “I think we’re fortunate there was no volcano eruptions, earthquakes or anything else while we were down there. I mean you have two NFL franchises in an area that I don’t know how stable the geological plates that were below us [were], but nothing happened so that was good.”

It may read like a poor attempt at a joke, but the audio of the interview makes it clear Belichick was seriously concerned that the Patriots and Raiders were at risk of being caught in a dangerous earthquake.

Ehhh get over it. As the article notes, there was a very recent quake that killed 200+ people in the city. I don't recall a recent disaster of that magnitude happening in other NFL cities. It's basically the equivalent of saying that even though you know you're still at risk of a hurricane hitting up in Virginia/New York, you fear them more when you're in Florida/Louisiana/Texas. Belichick was right to be concerned.

Good thing BB didn’t say anything about how much water they had to bring. Then we could have called it Water-gate.

tumblr_myshrgAUwE1r3yxp8o1_400.gif

YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Some Mexicans Upset By Bill Belichick’s Ignorant Remark About Earthquakes

Belichick thankful there was no earthquake while in Mexico

I love this. Watch the complete contradiction from SI within the span of two paragraphs (bolded and italicized for emphasis)...

Ehhh get over it. As the article notes, there was a very recent quake that killed 200+ people in the city. I don't recall a recent disaster of that magnitude happening in other NFL cities. It's basically the equivalent of saying that even though you know you're still at risk of a hurricane hitting up in Virginia/New York, you fear them more when you're in Florida/Louisiana/Texas. Belichick was right to be concerned.

I always thought it was insensitive of the NFL when they moved the 49ers game to another field after the Loma Prieta Earthquake. :eek:

Oct 22 1989 49ers vs Pats.

This is ********.

The man in 100% accurate.

3 days ago there was a 4.4 150 miles south of Mexico City.

Popocatépetl is still steaming.

If I were him I would have said I was glad to get the hell out of Dodge and avoid my entire team being abducted by the Beltrán-Leyva Cartel

When I first heard the audio he sounded legit concerned, not like he was lobbing a joke at Mexico's expense.

Given the link that @TommyBrady12 just posted, how so?
I inderstand it is a long distances to go, and the logistics and all that but to bring up earthquake when one has just occurred is basically saying to all the ticket paying customers I really didn’t want to come to your crappy city but they made me.

I inderstand it is a long distances to go, and the logistics and all that but to bring up earthquake when one has just occurred is basically saying to all the ticket paying customers I really didn’t want to come to your crappy city but they made me.

He's right to be nervous to go there. That this offends people is absolutely mind boggling.

He's right to be nervous to go there. That this offends people is absolutely mind boggling.

I've been to Mexico, lived in Arizona and have worked with a lot of Mexicans. They aren't snowflakes so I doubt more than a handful were offended by a comment that was obviously made from concern.

comment about concern from BB is fine

the other factors that connect to it however make it come of as insensitive, even if it wasn't a joke, hundreds of people just died, BBs comments show him caring about him and his team only, there's the rub

anything wrong w/ it? not really...compassionate? def not

I'm sure his true feelings aren't as dismissive all of these deaths, just how the comment came off, and I'm very sure if he could revise his wording in retrospect, he would

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down