PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles Release DE Jason Babin - should Pats claim/sign him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
$1.64M. RT @Wade_Harrison If claimed, what's the new team cap hit for Babin? Original 5.5 or 1.6 balance?

Babin was widely regarded as a classic me-first player who epitomized the struggles of this year’s Eagles. He was awful against the run, which is a direct result of the Wide 9 defense but also a reflection of Babin’s obsessiveness with accumulating sacks and only sacks.

Another article mentioned that if he got 2.5 more sacks this season he would be due a 400K bonus. the above says why they cut him and the bonus probably explains the WHY NOW (2.5 is possible in a single game).

I dont know that he would be worth much to BB's system. taking him on a waiver is not quite the same level of risk as the haynesworth deal (that was much less); so at this point with what has been said - I doubt the Pats even put in on waiver.

no it doesn't... learn your damn facts rookie.

Now go get me some water...

He's not entirely wrong: for the first three or four weeks of the season, waiver wire priority IS based on the previous year's records.

But this late in the season, it is based on current records.

It sucks but there's no way we land him. Too many teams in front of us that can put the waiver in on him.

Another article mentioned that if he got 2.5 more sacks this season he would be due a 400K bonus. the above says why they cut him and the bonus probably explains the WHY NOW (2.5 is possible in a single game).

Slightly OT - but it's very interesting to see the Eagles making player personnel changes when it seems clear that Reid and co. aren't going to be around much longer.

The commonly used rationale for releasing Babin (aside from your astute observation regarding a bonus) has been that they want to see Vinny Curry play. Who is "they" in this case? Reid has the say in "football matters" and it seems clear that he knows he's out.

I'm confused by folks who want to use planning for the future as rationale as if this release occurred in a parallel universe where Andy Reid has a future with the Eagles.

Slightly OT - but it's very interesting to see the Eagles making player personnel changes when it seems clear that Reid and co. aren't going to be around much longer.

The commonly used rationale for releasing Babin (aside from your astute observation regarding a bonus) has been that they want to see Vinny Curry play. Who is "they" in this case? Reid has the say in "football matters" and it seems clear that he knows he's out.

I'm confused by folks who want to use planning for the future as rationale as if this release occurred in a parallel universe where Andy Reid has a future with the Eagles.

Reid is the one who made the call. My guess? He would rather end his tenure with the Eagles giving reps to players he like and who he thinks deserve them.

If you're gonna be run out of town anyways he might as well.

Hopefully he's right. Then, he could chose where he wants to go and New England would be high on his list, I'm sure. (assuming we don't get him through waivers, of course).

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo
Talked to 4 team execs about Babin last night. All expect him to clear waivers. Find that surprising, given value of pass rushers. We'll see

Hopefully he's right. Then, he could chose where he wants to go and New England would be high on his list, I'm sure. (assuming we don't get him through waivers, of course).

Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeYahoo
Talked to 4 team execs about Babin last night. All expect him to clear waivers. Find that surprising, given value of pass rushers. We'll see

I'm not. 6 different teams including 2 separate stints with the Iggles.

Something is not right with this guy.

I'm not. 6 different teams including 2 separate stints with the Iggles.

Something is not right with this guy.

He's a career bust JAG who benefited from that wide 9.

Go read the eagles forums about this guy. They all sound really depressed over losing this 18 sack monster.

Dawkins even implied this guy was likely a cancer.

Last edited:

Really? When they make a statement like: "but the surprise emergence of Graham..." makes me think they have no idea what they are talking about. Graham, by all accounts is a complete and utter bust and everyone in Philly knows it. I really think the people who write for that site, just make stuff up. They mention Curry, who is the real young guy that should replace Babin. Babin was cut because he is hated by his teammates and by most all fans in Philly.

I could see them looking into him if he clears waivers...and using him as a situational rusher. but that's it. don't see them claiming him or using him in a larger role. he may not want that reduced role either

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

This guy sounds like a Pete Carroll/Seattle fit to me. Wouldn't he fit in opposite Clemons? They seem to like big mouth guys up there. Extra pass rush might be just the ticket they need to get in the playoffs.

Zolak did his interview with BB today. He was just talking with his co-host, and he made the point that he doesn't think it's going to happen. He called talking about it a waste of time.

I think unless Reid warns Belichick away, the Pats will put in a claim. Seems like they're way too far down the list for it to happen, though.

Zolak did his interview with BB today. He was just talking with his co-host, and he made the point that he doesn't think it's going to happen. He called talking about it a waste of time.

Zolak said this or Belichick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes