PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagle-Tribune's Hector Longo Slams Pats On Branch Dealings

Status
Not open for further replies.

bresna

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Hector Longo, Patriots beat writer for the (Lawrence) Eagle-Tribune, writes that the Pats statement on Branch is "Bruin-esque", comparing it to the time Harry Sinden told Joe Juneau to learn to yodel when he threatened to play in Switzerland.

Article at: http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/local_story_238143504

And what a publication the LAWRENCE EAGLE TRIBUNE is! Well known for it's progressive writing and insights

:)

Breaking News......

I don't give a **** what Hector Longo thinks. ;)

Honestly. Hector Longo? What is that? A spam name?

found another of his brilliant quotes-

"And the tone is being set by the coach. Troy Brown at nickel-back on defense? Dan Klecko, the starting fullback? This is not an attempt at flexibility in the 53-man roster. It is mocking the NFL, the opposition and the fans, - Hector Longo, Lawrence Eagle-Tribune 8/14/04"

Whatever.:rolleyes:
That scumbag writer can go to hell. I'm not going to waste my time reading that crap. Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of Branch. The clock is running. The NFL is not going to put the season on hold because one of our players refuses to honor the contract that he signed.
Koppen, Samuel and Graham are all in contract years. How come they are not holding out? They each played a significant role in the championships that we've won. Somebody had to play CB and somebody had to block for Brady. Those roles are just as important as the role Branch played in the Super Bowl.
And I'm sick of hearing this crap about how Branch was coerced into signing that 5 year deal, when other draft picks were signed to 5 year deals after Branch by that same agency. So, it was wrong for us, but not wrong for other teams? Why?
Give me a break with all this BS. I've had enough. Trade him BB/Pioli get everything you can for him and let's move on with the guys who want to be here.
To hell with the media. Their opinions don't mean **** to me.

tombonneau said:
Breaking News......

I don't give a **** what Hector Longo thinks. ;)

And **** the white horse he rode in on

"The club set a precedent, renegotiating Seymour. When Branch called, they should have at least listened. Belichick owes Branch at least that much".

What a freakin moron this guy is. I am even dumber for having read that piece of garbage.

Ok Folks We Get It. Many People Think The Patriots Fo Is Stupid. What Else Is New? Let The Bashing Continue. We'll See Whos Talking At The End Of The Year.

Pretty good article, I thought.

"The negotiations truly must have dipped into nastiness for the team to fire this kind of shot. New England is saying go find out how much you're really worth on the open market.

"It's a no-lose situation for the team. Branch can find a deal, only to have the team scoff at it. And if he doesn't?

"Branch, shackled and entirely underpaid by his rookie contract, has no business holding out.

"And the Patriots, more than $13 million under the salary cap (with Branch and Richard Seymour's gigantic new deal already factored in), should be ashamed of themselves for playing hard and fast and with one their true stars, on and off the football field."

Last edited by a moderator:
Patters said:
Pretty good article, I thought.
Yikes!

"The club set a precedent, renegotiating Seymour. When Branch called, they should have at least listened. Belichick owes Branch at least that much".

Fact of the matter is the pats did extend a very good offer and the Branch camp did not even counter. The statement by Longo is just plain false.

The issue here, and the main flaw with every negative article about the situation is that the Pats DID show him the money with a very good deal, Branch just didn't want it and overvalued himself. Branch is a very good receiver, top 15 in the league perhaps, but he isn't worth the money he wants, period, and the Pats are not going to set the precedent that every player who overvalues himself and holds out will get what he wants. The fact is that Branch is under contract, he should play out this season and then sign a big deal elsewhere if he isn't happy.

Zuma said:
Yikes!

Fact of the matter is the pats did extend a very good offer and the Branch camp did not even counter. The statement by Longo is just plain false.

Well, the guy's not writing literally. He's saying that the Pats didn't negotiate seriously enough. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Even if you disagree with Deion, it's not like he doesn't have a valid argument.

One of the worst examples of lazy journalism I have EVER seen with regards to the Bruins comparisons.

1. His Juneau comparison is not valid. Juneau wanted a one-way contract (meaning he makes as much $$$ playing in the minors as he would if he were in the NHL- great deal for the player, because he's locked in at a guaranteed big league rate regardless of whether he earns a spot on the team) before having ever played a single game at the NHL level. Harry Sinden, who had been burned by awarding just a single one-way deal to an impending rookie in his entire career as GM (Wes Walz) wasn't about to do it. Juneau had zero leverage as a college player and Olympian who had never so much as sniffed an NHL suface when his agent demanded he get a guaranteed deal or he'd go to Switzerland to play. The yodel remark was classic Harry- and he was totally in the right.

For Longo to compare the Branch situation to that one is ludicrous. It's the clear-cut example of a clueless reporter who doesn't take the time to find out the entire context of a story and merely repeats the one snippet he heard, which in Sinden's case became legendary.

But it holds no merit here, whether it happens to be "Bruin-esque" or not, because Juneau's demands were unreasonable. And, for the record, he signed with Boston and went on to help get the last B's team to reach the NHL semifinals to the cusp of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The following year, he set the rookie record for points. Although eventually traded to Washington, he got his dough, and then promptly went on to become one of the bigger underachievers in the NHL given his fat contract. Duh...bad analogy, Hector. If you're trying to play up Branch's justification of a bigger deal, that is.

2. He then holds up "Mike Milbury"as the Bruins coach who benched Cam Neely and "Craig Janney." He refers to it as a "mid-game defrocking," so I'm really not sure what Longo is talking about. Milbury revered Neely and Janney- never did anything of the sort. So, it is interesting that he even brings up Mike Milbury in this debate if he's insisting that Milbury was the B's coach who shamefully sat a future Hall of Fame player in Neely.

Oh, really Hector? Try STEVE KASPER. Milbury surrendered his post as Bruins Assistant GM in 1994 and was working for ESPN when Kasper benched Neely. And the guy who was benched along with Neely was former Pittsburgh Penguin star Kevin Stevens, who was acquired by the Bruins almost three years AFTER Janney was dealt to St. Louis for Adam Oates.

Shoddy, horrible reporting- Longo and his editors should be absolutely ashamed. That this is the paper that the great Russ Conway once wrote for, and if this is the kind of person that the Eagle Tribune is going to employ, then rest assured I will never spend another cent on the rag.

Hector Longo- At the risk of sounding like one of the cavemen in the Geico car insurance commercial, I'd say that you need to wake up and start doing a little research. Right now, you've shown yourself to be a misinformed, lazy hack who couldn't lead a starving rat to cheese let alone even begin to approach the professionalism of one Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe.

It isn't too much to ask that you actually take the time to research the examples you use in your stories. In this case, you used two completely bogus examples, and showed yourself to be a total embarrassment to the field.

Clean up your act!

In the meantime, I'll have the roast duck with mango salsa...

Last edited:
Patters said:
Well, the guy's not writing literally. He's saying that the Pats didn't negotiate seriously enough. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Even if you disagree with Deion, it's not like he doesn't have a valid argument.

Well last time I checked it takes two sides that are willing to negotiate. The Pats have, Deion and his agent HAVEN'T. So just what are the Pats suppossed to do to be allowed off the hook? Submit a counter proposal to thier proposal and pretend that Deion and his agent responded and are "negotiating".

See when Big Sey "renegotiated" his agent actually submitted a counter proposal and NEGOTIATED. Deion...eeehh, his negotiation so far is from the TO school of negotiating....."I will honor my contract if you give up your right to franchise me next season." WOW, great tactic and I can totally see where the Pats are the ones not trying....:rolleyes:

Yes Branch needs to get back on the field ASAP and also get a new agent.

Hector is a little man who has had a hair across where BB is concerned for a long time now. He's like the metrowest version of Borges. Felger has him on the radio show from time to time just to get the phone lines to light up with irate Pats fans.

BradyisGod said:
And what a publication the LAWRENCE EAGLE TRIBUNE is! Well known for it's progressive writing and insights

:)

Actually, the Tribune used to be a good paper. They have that one writer that was KEY in breaking the story on how Alan Eagleson ripped off so many hockey players and totally betrayed the NHLPA. And, unfortunately, his name is escaping me right now.

As others have said, Longo is a moron who doesn't know squat about football.

Last edited:
bresna said:
Hector Longo, Patriots beat writer for the (Lawrence) Eagle-Tribune, writes that the Pats statement on Branch is "Bruin-esque", comparing it to the time Harry Sinden told Joe Juneau to learn to yodel when he threatened to play in Switzerland.

Article at: http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/local_story_238143504

Thank you Hector. You're a whining hack, but thanks to you I'm now aware of a great Boston sports line.

"Learn to yodel" LOL! I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing