PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drew Bledsoe: "Give Cam Newton a Full Year"

Not making excuses! But if I were to make excuses, here are some…

How did other guys doing just being thrown into a situation with no preseason?

Brady, 11-5, Won Super Bowl.
Rivers, 10-6, made postseason.
Fitzpatrick, 4-3, 95 passer rating.
Herbert, Rookie of Year, one of the best seasons ever for a rookie. 31 TD, 10 INT.
Burrow, 13 TD, 5 INT prior to injury. Rookie.

For Brady that was his second season, he spent a full year learning before playing, and has said he wasn't physically ready his rookie year.

All those other guys, yeah I don't consider those seasons a success given their teams didn't contend. I think Big Ben's season might be the best comp and even then a rookie QB got exposed in the playoffs.

But I hear you. I don't think Mac would have a bad year if he played. The kid studies too hard and wants to be good. But if one assumes Belichick really really really wants to win it all this year, do you think Mac could pull that off? I think a hardworking rookie will still get tripped up in the playoffs by some talented DCoordinators.

For Brady that was his second season, he spent a full year learning before playing, and has said he wasn't physically ready his rookie year.

All those other guys, yeah I don't consider those seasons a success given their teams didn't contend. I think Big Ben's season might be the best comp and even then a rookie QB got exposed in the playoffs.

But I hear you. I don't think Mac would have a bad year if he played. The kid studies too hard and wants to be good. But if one assumes Belichick really really really wants to win it all this year, do you think Mac could pull that off? I think a hardworking rookie will still get tripped up in the playoffs by some talented DCoordinators.

I’m referring to the 2020 season.

I’m referring to the 2020 season.

Oh. You mean Cam? I think joining so late on July 28th didn't help. Those other guys didn't fall behind getting covid either. And I would say the Pats had the worst TE/WRs among all those teams. But it's true that Cam has basically no more excuses, and it's encouraging the guy played almost perfect against the Eagles.

Not making excuses! But if I were to make excuses, here are some…

How did other guys doing just being thrown into a situation with no preseason?

Brady, 11-5, Won Super Bowl.
Rivers, 10-6, made postseason.
Fitzpatrick, 4-3, 95 passer rating.
Herbert, Rookie of Year, one of the best seasons ever for a rookie. 31 TD, 10 INT.
Burrow, 13 TD, 5 INT prior to injury. Rookie.
Huh?
Brady had plenty of pre season quality reps. Simply out performed Drew.
PLUS: Brady was NOT 11-5. He was 11-3. Drew lost the 1st two.

Huh?
2020 offseason

Huh?

Brady was working out in Tampa in the spring breaking covid quarantine, throwing to new teammates, and walking in on random Tampa neighbor's houses, while Cam didn't even get into Foxboro until early August'20.

It's amazing how many excuses are being thrown out there for Cam's poor play at QB. There has never been a Pats QB that played so poorly and got a free pass from the fans like Cant Newton has. Anyone have any ideas why?

It's amazing how many excuses are being thrown out there for Cam's poor play at QB. There has never been a Pats QB that played so poorly and got a free pass from the fans like Cant Newton has. Anyone have any ideas why?
he has had an MVP season in 2015, is a good teammate, has nice teeth and is dressed extraordinary
who cares about the rest? why should he be able to throw consistently accurate passes? who needs this in nowadays NFL?

This is where I am at. No one is asking for Brady like play at QB. What we are asking for is an NFL QB who can physically throw a football. Covid, late to camp and all the 30 other excuses aside. Watch him throw the ball last year and tell me any of those excuses had anything to do with it.

Yea that's fair. Interesting that the Pats only scored 17 pts per game after AB was cut, so the goat still only led an offense the last 10 weeks that were poor on offense.

Also statistically it's hard to put it all on Cam because notice how the OC never called play action in the red zone last year. The play calling was a major reason for red zone ineptitude.
The patriots score 24.5 ppg after brown was cut not 17.

It’s not only that . Mac Jones is the future of this franchise and not cam newton. I expect mac daddy to keep playing well as long as he gets the protection.

This is where I am at. No one is asking for Brady like play at QB.
I am.
I expect equal if not better QB play than 2001 Brady, game manager of screen passes
The bar is not that high

I am.
I expect equal if not better QB play than 2001 Brady, game manager of screen passes
The bar is not that high
I am fine with the 2021 equivalent of 2001 Brady. The game is completely different than it was back then but I would be happy to let Mac take what the defense gives, don't force throws, and make a few plays that need to be made as the season goes on.

Unless Mac gets injured Newton shouldn't be the starter, that giant practice sealed it.

he has had an MVP season in 2015, is a good teammate, has nice teeth and is dressed extraordinary
who cares about the rest? why should he be able to throw consistently accurate passes? who needs this in nowadays NFL?
I had to look up the word extraordinary and I think it fits.

BB is getting tips from Alex Cora on the proper technique to give the quick hook.
Alex Cora: Bobby Dalbec is respected in the locker room and an exceptional leader, he's our starter

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back