PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Drafting offense with 1st two picks??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Anyone think BB would ever do this? My tought is that I really like the idea of drafting a stud tackle (if available) with our first pick and "building a fortress" around Brady. That will help our pass protection, help our running game and hopefully give Watson more of a chance catching the ball.

But I also think the Pats really need to address WR and RB early. And from what I have seen and read, I don't see to many good players for either postion after the 2nd round. The guys I like are Joseph Addai-RB-LSU and Mike Hass-WR-Miami (OH). I really can't see either one being available after round 2. Maybe Hass will slip with him not being invited to the Senior Bowl. But I think these two postions are more pressing then some others, LB, S, CB.

At LB we still have a great 4-some, who are getting a little long in the tooth. But Bruschi, Vrabel and Colvin should be productive for a couple/few more years. That may give us an option of picking up a LB in round 3 or 4 and developing over the next year or two.

As for CB and S, we have drafted a few young guys there over the past couple of drafts: Sanders, Gay, Hobbs. And some of the others are still young: Wilson and Samuel. I really think we should address these holes in FA and get some vets in here. Then address this later in the draft.

Thoughts?

one last thing, as for possible RB and WR I like after round 2, Jerious Norwood-RB-Mississippi St, Dontrell Moore-RB-New Mexico, Skyler Green-WR-LSU and Greg Jennings-WR-Western Michigan. But can these guys can be everyday/dependable players?

Last edited:
stevedogc said:
Anyone think BB would ever do this? My tought is that I really like the idea of drafting a stud tackle (if available) with our first pick and "building a fortress" around Brady. That will help our pass protection, help our running game and hopefully give Watson more of a chance catching the ball.

But I also think the Pats really need to address WR and RB early. And from what I have seen and read, I don't see to many good players for either postion after the 2nd round. The guys I like are Joseph Addai-RB-LSU and Mike Hass-WR-Miami (OH). I really can't see either one being available after round 2. Maybe Hass will slip with him not being invited to the Senior Bowl. But I think these two postions are more pressing then some others, LB, S, CB.

The two guys I like are Joseph Addai RB LSU and Mike Hass WR OREGON STATE. Martin Nance is the guy from Miami. Hass had a good week of practice at the Shrine game, but appears to be slipping indeed. I also like the WR from New Mexico, Hank Baskett. Hagen, Hass, Baskett, and Chad Jackson (Florida) are my top 4 choices at WR. Addai, Bell, Moore, and Riggs are my preferred RBs of those that we'll likely have the opportunity to draft.

Last edited:
My need list doesn't include RB.

WR
OL
S
CB
LB (youth)
DL (youth)

is my list in order. We'll be OK at RB next year and if Dillon shows he's done we can draft or trade for one in 12 months. RB is probably the easiest position to just put a new guy in.

BelichickFan said:
My need list doesn't include RB.

WR
OL
S
CB
LB (youth)
DL (youth)

is my list in order. We'll be OK at RB next year and if Dillon shows he's done we can draft or trade for one in 12 months. RB is probably the easiest position to just put a new guy in.

I might quibble with your list, but I agree with a lot of your premises, including that RB is a relatively easy plug-and-play position. By the same token, then, we should be focusing aggressively on linebackers since there's such a steep learning curve to play that position for the Patriots -- even for veterans.

Then there's the draft class itself. The problem with taking a "stud OT" at #21 is that there has to be one on the board, and I just don't see one. Same with a gamebreaking WR. The value and depth at #21 looks likely to be along these lines:

1. TE
2. LB
3. S
4. RB
5. CB
6. DT
(plus your pick of centers and guards)

Given the intersection of needs and options, I'd take a LB...or trade down.

patchick said:
I might quibble with your list, but I agree with a lot of your premises, including that RB is a relatively easy plug-and-play position. By the same token, then, we should be focusing aggressively on linebackers since there's such a steep learning curve to play that position for the Patriots -- even for veterans.

Then there's the draft class itself. The problem with taking a "stud OT" at #21 is that there has to be one on the board, and I just don't see one. Same with a gamebreaking WR. The value and depth at #21 looks likely to be along these lines:

1. TE
2. LB
3. S
4. RB
5. CB
6. DT

I do agree with you that the #21 pick will depend upon who is available. I am not in favor of trading up in the draft, at least not that high. Maybe if a guy slips to say #18, and we only have to give up a 4th rounder to move up. If there is nothing good available, I like the idea of trading down. And maybe pick up an extra pick for next year. But if a guy like Jon Scott slips to #21, I say pick him up.

patchick said:

1. TE
2. LB
3. S
4. RB
5. CB
6. DT

I think your rankings are spot on. From a value perspective, I'm targeting Ko Simpson if he's there.

Has anybody seen much of WR Jennings play? I know BB doesn't like small school players early in the draft, but he has the quickness that BB craves in a WR and is about the size of our other receivers at 5'10" or so.

It's hard to get tape on him and the Shrine game didn't show me enough.

Sorry, Patchick and dry heat. I have to disagree with you both. I think you are wrong when you say that the VALUE and DEPTH that should be available at #21 starts with TE.

Its unlikely that there will be 4 OTs off the board by the time the Pats pick. And there is definitely so good quality there.

I see the the quality being as follows:

1) OLB/DE
2) ILB
3) OT
4) TE

As for the rest, S, CB, and WR, those are the 3 weakest areas of the draft so its very hard to say that there will be dept there.

Ochmed Jones said:
Has anybody seen much of WR Jennings play? I know BB doesn't like small school players early in the draft, but he has the quickness that BB craves in a WR and is about the size of our other receivers at 5'10" or so.

It's hard to get tape on him and the Shrine game didn't show me enough.
www.draftshowcase.com has a good video clip on him in their video archives.

OT is one of the strongest (depth wise) in this draft. I don't see BB taking an OT. Depending on the status of Stephen Neal (UFA), The Pats might go for OG Max Jean-Gilles. This would be totally against aevery trend BB has, because he doesn't draft OG's. He takes college tackles and makes them guards. Logan Makins was a OLT in college and never played OG until the East / West Shrine game last year. Jean - Gilles is 6'4" 358 lbs and is a monster. I might draft an OT later in the draft.

WR is relatively thin, and Maurice Stoval ND is the guy I would pick. RB's Brian Calhoun and (we agree) Jerious Norwood are guys I would pick (perhaps both). Another receiver I would take a flyer on late in he draft is Jeremy Bloom Colorado. He is a KR/PR and was denied the opportunity to play last year by the NCAA because he is a world class moguls skier. He is expected to medal at the Olympics. Bloom received endorsement money for skiing and training. He will be at the Combine in Indianapolis. He will be a player I will be watching. He had 5 plays of 75 yards or more in his brief career at Colorado. Small (5'9" 175) but lightning fast (4.38).

I also like LB Thomas Howard UTEP; Darnell Bing SS USC; Richard Marshall CB Fresno St; Manny Lawson DE North Carolina; Darryl Tapp DE Virginia Tech; Brian Iwuh LB Colorado

I think Giles played T last season. But since I can't remember where I left my sunglasses two days ago, I won't commit to that.

I also would love to see Bloom here next year. He should have a Tim Dwight-type career.

I like Iwuh also. From some reports I read, he was one of the best players at the Shrine Game practices.

Mark Morse said:
OT is one of the strongest (depth wise) in this draft. I don't see BB taking an OT. Depending on the status of Stephen Neal (UFA), The Pats might go for OG Max Jean-Gilles. This would be totally against aevery trend BB has, because he doesn't draft OG's. He takes college tackles and makes them guards. Logan Makins was a OLT in college and never played OG until the East / West Shrine game last year. Jean - Gilles is 6'4" 358 lbs and is a monster. I might draft an OT later in the draft.

WR is relatively thin, and Maurice Stoval ND is the guy I would pick.

I too like Jean-Gillies and Stovall. I'm hoping Jean-Gillies will slip to our second pick - i don't think i'd use the 21st on him. stovall could go anywhere at this point. Combine will be big for him. It would be nice for Tom to have a big WR for a change.

dryheat44 said:
I think Giles played T last season. But since I can't remember where I left my sunglasses two days ago, I won't commit to that.

they're on your head ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back