Draft screen: football families

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rather than breaking down candidates by position, I thought I'd take a look at some prospects in the style of a market analyst's stock screen. So instead of ranking, say, insurance brokerages (or cornerbacks) you look at small-cap companies with a history of rising dividends (or players who were productive until a senior year injury.) Care to join me?

My first target is players from football families. Jackie MacMullan's profiles of BB and Vrabel highlighted the way growing up with a coach for a father can affect a player's football IQ. But a football family isn't something like 40 speed that you can just sort for on a draft site. So if you come across intriguing examples, please add them!

To start off:

Bobby Carpenter, OLB Ohio State

Son of former NFL player and current high-school coach Rob Carpenter. Bobby is a rare college LB with the size/speed combo of a Patriots OLB: 6-3" 245 4.60.

Jonathan Scott, OT Texas

His father Ray was a defensive end selected in the 1967 NFL Draft. 6'6" 310, strong run blocker with good quickness, moves his feet well.

Rob Sims, OG Ohio State

Father Mickey played for the Cleveland Browns. Described as smart, quick and versatile.

Trent Bray, ILB Oregon State

Father is a college coach. "Intelligent player who always seems to be around the ball."

Bump

Guess this doesn't count, but it sure made me read twice!

Dale Robinson, ILB, Arizona State

"mother is Koren Robinson"

patchick said:
Guess this doesn't count, but it sure made me read twice!

Dale Robinson, ILB, Arizona State

"mother is Koren Robinson"

People do strange things when they're drunk. Things they wouldn't ordinarily do.

Hey it makes just as much sense as the combine etc.

May sound silly to some, but good bloodlines are important.

dryheat44 said:
People do strange things when they're drunk. Things they wouldn't ordinarily do.
I had to dig for the second entendre in that one. :eek:

DT Rodrique Wright (Texas) - Uncle, Elmo, played wide receiver at the University of Houston (1968-70) and is the school record holder for career receiving yards (3,347) and TD receptions (34) … Elmo was a first-round draft pick of the Kansas City Chiefs (No. 16 overall) in the 1971 NFL Draft and played until ’74 … also a cousin of former Longhorns standout DL Cedric Woodard (1996-99), who is now a member of the Seattle Seahawks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye