PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumours

FWIW, I believe in recent years the compensation for going from the bottom of the 1st to the top of the 2nd has been an early 4th rather than an early 5th because of the loss of the fifth year.

IDK. The 2012 draft was the first under the rookie wage scale and the 5th-year option rule. I can find only five trades since then that match the "bottom of the 1st to the top of the 2nd" pattern:

In 2012, TBY traded #36 + #101 (636 points) for #31 +#126 (646 points).
... TBY "underpaid" by 10 points (1.5%)

In 2013, Minny traded #52 + #83 + #102 + #229 (648 points) for #29 (640 points).
... Minny "overpaid" by 8 points (1.3%)

In 2014, Minny traded the #40 + #108 (578 points) for the #32 (590 points).
... Minny underpaid by 12 points (2%)

No matching trade in 2015.

In 2016, SFO traded #37 + #105 + #178 (634 points) for the #28 + #249 (661 points)
... SFO underpaid by 27 points (4.1%)

Then, in 2017, SFO traded #34 + #111 (632 points) for #31 (600 points).
... SFO overpaid by 32 points (5.3%)

Matching trades from prior to the rookie wage scale/5th-year option era follow the same pattern - "discounts" or "premiums" of between 1% & 5% relative to the standard value chart, varying one way or the other sort of randomly.

It doesn't seem to matter at all what round the "buyer's" picks come from, as long as the point value on the exchange falls within range. "Discounts" & "premiums" more likely vary according to who the buyers and sellers are and their individual situations and relationships.

Only last year's "premium" paid by SFO to SEA (a division rival) seems to be a situation in which an early 4th was paid when a late-4th/early 5th would have balanced more closely (assuming that SFO even had one to give).

In my example, I specifically picked the Giants because they had picks that, added together, came within 4 points (0.6%) of an exactly even exchange. Not every team has the picks to be able to do that (and/or might not be willing to trade with BB... e.g., Indy).

3rd primary issue: Elandon Roberts.

Played a crap-tonne of snaps (certainly way more than expected, and in roles he might not have fit) due to the lack of healthy bodies. Even though he entered the 2017 season with only one year and a mere 271 snaps worth of NFL defensive experience, he was used in preference to David Harris (558 snaps v. 181 for Harris).

Shocking that he didn't meet expectations for a starter.

I read earlier he could sneak into the top 10, I hope we wouldn't give up too much to move up for him.

Unless the Pats know that their LT situation is far more desperate than even we think it is, I can't see a trade up into the top-10.
I doubt he'll actually go that high but to trade up for him it may take more than many of us would be up for.

McGlinchy didn't look as solid this year as he did last year, but I like how he gets after it in the run game. He would definitely resolve any concerns we may have had about LT.

Speaking of OL, thought this was interesting, based on his track record:

McGlinchy didn't look as solid this year as he did last year, but I like how he gets after it in the run game. He would definitely resolve any concerns we may have had about LT.

This is becoming a very popular choice lately. People are clearly hearing things. Not necessarily about the Bengals but that Ragnow is getting first round love.

I doubt he'll actually go that high but to trade up for him it may take more than many of us would be up for.

18 to Seattle makes sense if he’s there. They need picks

I saw a mock that had us trading 23 and 95 to Seattle for Marcus Davenport!

Well Gronk may have announced that he’s coming back but that doesn’t mean he hasn’t irked BB to the point where he ships him to the Lions. Then again kraft could step in again and prevent it.

Played a crap-tonne of snaps (certainly way more than expected, and in roles he might not have fit) due to the lack of healthy bodies. Even though he entered the 2017 season with only one year and a mere 271 snaps worth of NFL defensive experience, he was used in preference to David Harris (558 snaps v. 181 for Harris).

Shocking that he didn't meet expectations for a starter.
Elandon Roberts is just a plain old Bad football player. He is totally clueless on the field, and on the rare occasion that he actually does have a clue, the odds are 50-50 at best that he makes the tackle. He doesn't deserve to wear the uniform. Period.

Has anyone actually heard Lapham talk? He's a feckin clown. I would be surprised if he were able to correctly predict almost every day of the week for the past 10 days.

I assume he means every Bungles first-round pick. :)

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back