PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Rumours And Buzz

That's one of our defensive calls, but we don't play base cover 3 like Seattle or Jacksonville.

Yeah, the safety position is extremely demanding in New England. You can play single high one down and then essentially a linebacker the next, and then man defense as a slot corner on third down. A big part of what the Patriots are able to do on defense relies on having three of the seven or eight best safeties in the league, who each can all fill two or three roles well. It makes it very difficult for QBs to read and contributes to the outright confusion that won them the Super Bowl.

I HATE April! - This is the WORST time of the year if you are a Pats fan. When you pick at the end of what seems to be EVERY freakin' draft, for 2 solid months, you win the opportunity to hear all about the 2o odd players you AREN'T going see get drafted by your team. :mad:

But seriously, it is tiring. For 9 months of the year, the Pats are THE most relevant team in the league, but by mid-February they become the most irrelevant team. So once again we grasp at straws trying to figure out who is going to even be there when the Pats FINALLY get a selection, and most comments about the best players start with the phrase....." but he won't be there at #32"

All that being said, I have to say that if given the choice, I wouldn't trade places with any team in the league :D

As for any rumors, I would just remind people that,if you had Wynn and Michell as your selections last year, I DESPERATELY need to know your thoughts on Powerball this week. ;)
I love it when we pick 32. I hope we pick there every year.

I love it when we pick 32. I hope we pick there every year.
Agreed, and besides I prefer to look at our position as having the pick before the first pick of each subsequent round.
There is no excuse for being unable to acquire good football players throughout the draft, regardless of the position in each round your pick lies.

Nice praise. I have had my eye on him as a high character prospect for the secondary...so long as he’s not one of those 2nd round safeties.

A note from Chris Price on Boston Sports Journal. It's a pay site but copying and pasting one item is probably good advertising for them:

"3. If there’s a draft curveball coming for the Patriots, it could be a cornerback. Things are obviously fluid and can change quickly, but word among some around the league is New England likes this group of cornerbacks. And as long as we’re talking about the secondary, the more I believe they are trying to figure out a way to get safety Johnathan Abram out of Mississippi State."

I am never against DBs as we often have a lot on the field. But with Gilmore, JMac, JC Jackson, Jones, Dawson almost locks and Crossen a top ST guy it's really tough to fit more CB on the roster. Understanding that CB and S can merge to some extent.

A note from Chris Price on Boston Sports Journal. It's a pay site but copying and pasting one item is probably good advertising for them:

"3. If there’s a draft curveball coming for the Patriots, it could be a cornerback. Things are obviously fluid and can change quickly, but word among some around the league is New England likes this group of cornerbacks. And as long as we’re talking about the secondary, the more I believe they are trying to figure out a way to get safety Johnathan Abram out of Mississippi State."

I am never against DBs as we often have a lot on the field. But with Gilmore, JMac, JC Jackson, Jones, Dawson almost locks and Crossen a top ST guy it's really tough to fit more CB on the roster. Understanding that CB and S can merge to some extent.

A safety I could understand. We seem to be pretty set at corner especially if Dawson comes around. But if they see an elite corner available, don’t pass on him just due to lack of need at the moment.

Savage seems to fly up draft boards. McCourty clone at pick 32?

Not surprising. From a pure talent stand point you'd be hard pressed to find 10 better athletes in this draft. I don't think you could. Add in reasonably good tape and he's the kind of guy who sneaks into the first round. The Raiders and Seahawks have multiple picks. I think they'd be the most likely teams to make a bold move like that.

If they received calls already you can beat we did too. We just aren't talking about it. I'm expecting a trade back from us to be totally honest. I don't think they board will fall in our favor. Even if it does it wouldn't surprise me for Bill to do it anyway.

Let's just say that I wouldn't be the biggest fan of this move, and leave it at that.

Breer's latest:

32. Patriots select Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt

From Brian Goodwin (@brian22goodwin): The Pats obviously need pass catchers. But doesn't the depth at WR in this draft allow Belichick to go OL or DL at 32? Or you think with their 12 picks, they could vault up to the teens?

A trade up is a possibility with New England’s surplus of picks, and I’d tend to agree with you—my guess is that the team will work to add skill-position talent on Friday, a point in the draft where there’s depth in starting-level tight ends and complementary receivers. Which would free them to go with the best player at 32, and Williams would qualify as the best player for them at 32. I’ve heard they love the kid, and would like use him as a Patrick Chung hybrid.

Breer's latest:

32. Patriots select Joejuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt

From Brian Goodwin (@brian22goodwin): The Pats obviously need pass catchers. But doesn't the depth at WR in this draft allow Belichick to go OL or DL at 32? Or you think with their 12 picks, they could vault up to the teens?

A trade up is a possibility with New England’s surplus of picks, and I’d tend to agree with you—my guess is that the team will work to add skill-position talent on Friday, a point in the draft where there’s depth in starting-level tight ends and complementary receivers. Which would free them to go with the best player at 32, and Williams would qualify as the best player for them at 32. I’ve heard they love the kid, and would like use him as a Patrick Chung hybrid.

And we just extended Chung Hmmmmm??

dump a late 3rd rounder for Gerald McCoy

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes