PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dr Z supports Steamer for HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stanley is not a HOF. Yes, his yards per catch are very high but he only averaged 39 receptions a season. He had one monster season in '86. That's just not enough.

Last edited:
Stanley is not a HOF. Yes, his yards per catch are very high but he only averaged 39 receptions a season. He had one monster season in '86. That's just not enough.

Morgan was the most dangerous downfield threat in the NFL, and his career yardage and average per catch make him a very strong HOF candidate. Statistics from those years are not comparable with stats of today. The game has changed, the rules have changed, offensive football has changed. It's a shame some fans don't realize it, and downgrade superb players like Drew Pearson, Cliff Branch, Harold Carmichael and Stanley Morgan.

Stanley Morgan - 557 catches for 10,716 yards (19.3 avg) and 72 TDs. Morgan played 196 games in 14 seasons with 4 Pro Bowl appearances.

Lynn Swann - 336 catches for 5,462 yards (16.3 avg) and 51 TDs. Swann played 115 games in 9 seasons and had 3 Pro Bowl appearances.

Stanley's 86 season was incredible.84 r 1491 yds 10td's. Before the league went pass crazy. Could have been league MVP. If he was even...he was leavin! Best quote I ever heard about him.

Shows how misleading a focus on one statistic can be. If you had a lineman so good that you could run anybody behind him for 4-5 yards/carry, indeed set the all time season rushing record with three average backs, would you put it up for grabs often?

Also, back in those days, QBs didn't throw tons of 2 yard passes to get that percentage up.

It was extremely rare to average 60% over a season, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I never saw Morgan play, but this discussion really highlights my feeling that it's silly to attempt to compare players from one decade to another. Because the league, it's rules, and "points of emphasis" are constantly changing it's just so damn difficult to do.

Back then 80 catches a season was unheard of.

He also played 14 seasons, so averaging 39 over 14 is great for that era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes