Pick Results: MIA: 0% at NE: 0%

Sun
Sep 12th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Jackson 2

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

BTW as you know these two DID get married
That's when the trouble began...old story...

Jackson 2

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
The day before, out of the blue, "Qué Será, Será" started running through my head on a continuous loop. Weirdest thing, I hadn't heard that song in decades. But there it was, and it turned out the deep recesses of my brain knew every word in Doris Day's crystal-clear voice. RIP.
...same experience...except, the words can over and over once I heard she died...

Jackson 2

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I didn't call anyone stupid. I just said that they'd need to improve their education if they were adults who didn't know who Doris Day was. We all have holes in our education, but not even knowing Doris Day is something that should have been remedied back in childhood, unless we're talking about a family that avoids television like the plague.

Having said that:

Bogie? Really? How the hell does anyone let their kids grow up without knowing Casablanca, Bogart, Bergman, and Raines? That one boggles my mind a bit. It should probably be illegal.
Casablanca was filmed years before I was born (and I'm no pup), but I've seen it so many times I know much of the dialogue by heart.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Casablanca was filmed years before I was born (and I'm no pup), but I've seen it so many times I know much of the dialogue by heart.

Casablanca is pretty much universally (groups, not individuals) considered to be of the, say, 5 greatest movies ever made, and rightfully so, IMO.

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
These old movies are like a window into a time before society went insane.

"Doris Day"-types are rare finds in today's world.

Rest in peace.:(
Here she is at the old LA Sports Arena, probably as the Celtics were beating the Lakers like they always did...

All the old Celtics liked playing there, and they described Doris as "a nice lady"

with another Celtic, Chuck Connors at a Dodger game

maust1013

Just Another Guy
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
RIP Tim Conway. He was funny as hell, regularly stole the Carol Burnett show.
I first became acquainted with Sponge Bob back when we provided the 'day care' for our grandsons, you could have knocked me over with a feather when I was walking by the den and heard Conway and Ernest Borgnine doing Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man. Poor little dudes had no clue why I started cracking up and commandeered the TV

YOUGOTMOSSED

In the Starting Line-Up
Here she is at the old LA Sports Arena, probably as the Celtics were beating the Lakers like they always did...

All the old Celtics liked playing there, and they described Doris as "a nice lady"

with another Celtic, Chuck Connors at a Dodger game

Kind of hard to envision Doris Day as anything other than a nice lady.

borg

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans' Celebrity Grief Therapy main page is an amazing space.

Can you guys take a break for 15 minutes and give the bed pan attendant a chance to tidy up a bit?

Clonamery

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter

Can you guys take a break for 15 minutes and give the bed pan attendant a chance to tidy up a bit?
Immanuel Kant couldn’t, and neither could Borg.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner

@Ian We need a Dead Celebrities Thread sticky. That way, whenever an elderly actor or comedian that not everyone likes dies of natural causes, it won't clutter up the main PATRIOTS FOOTBALL forum. Or maybe just have mods automatically move them to the Pub Forum where they belong?

borg

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
@Ian We need a Dead Celebrities Thread sticky. That way, whenever an elderly actor or comedian that not everyone likes dies of natural causes, it won't clutter up the main PATRIOTS FOOTBALL forum. Or maybe just have mods automatically move them to the Pub Forum where they belong?
I'm considering a new thread in order to properly reflect my depressed state right now.

This morning, I was cleaning out my refrigerator and discovered wilted lettuce and spoiled tomatoes. With much regret I sent both lettuce and tomatoes to the great garbage disposal in the sky.
I would like to send my thoughts and prayers......via this football message board......to the families of both lettuce and tomato. You brought me so much happiness over the past few meals.
Let us pray

Also....It went unnoticed awhile back ...but in the spirit of total celebrity worship on the main board of this Patriots Fan site......I would like to give a PatsFans shout out and offer the usual thoughts and prayers so sincerely delivered on this electronic football message board to the family of.....
Judd Tugnaut....2nd key grip on the set of The Goonies.
No one gripped like you JT. You will be missed.
Note: at this difficult time, I'm here for those who need to share....on this football website

Last edited:

AAGunn

Rookie
She has been retired for 50 years. I am old enough to remember when reruns of her movies on TV were hugely popular and there were only 4-5 channels back then.

I have adults kids, though, who are in their 20s and graduated from ivy league schools with highest honors, who couldn't tell you who Bogart, Bacall, Cagney, Mae West, any of those megastars were.

With the gigantic expansion of entertainment options, one can realistically phase out exposure to whole swaths of the history of entertainment. It doesn't make you stupid, just different.
Does it make a person rude though? It shouldn't.

Actual Pats Fan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I would like to send my thoughts and prayers......via this football message board......
CLEVER TIP: Do not click on "OT" threads.

You're welcome.

Since the invention of the sport, American football has had relevance and relation to our entire culture and way of life that is rivaled only maybe by baseball, which as George Carlin correctly points out is the opposite environment.

Boston has been a baseball town, and a hockey town too for almost 100 years, and has the greatest dynasty ever in our basketball team.

But pro football captures the essence of a community's culture and spirit in its own unique fashion. People express their passion and loyalty to their region and their love for competition in rooting for their football team.

No, they did not win a title prior to 2001. But following and rooting for the Patriots was an integral part of living in New England. As in life, things don't always go well and sometimes things just go terribly. Politics, celebrities, and current events are all perceived and often put in perspective in the context of us being Pats fans. It's what we have in common.

Football may not be life. But, it's a huge part of our lives and I'm grateful for the many things I've learned from fellow posters on this site. Including stuff about football.

Tunescribe

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
CLEVER TIP: Do not click on "OT" threads.

You're welcome.

Since the invention of the sport, American football has had relevance and relation to our entire culture and way of life that is rivaled only maybe by baseball, which as George Carlin correctly points out is the opposite environment.

Boston has been a baseball town, and a hockey town too for almost 100 years, and has the greatest dynasty ever in our basketball team.

But pro football captures the essence of a community's culture and spirit in its own unique fashion. People express their passion and loyalty to their region and their love for competition in rooting for their football team.

No, they did not win a title prior to 2001. But following and rooting for the Patriots was an integral part of living in New England. As in life, things don't always go well and sometimes things just go terribly. Politics, celebrities, and current events are all perceived and often put in perspective in the context of us being Pats fans. It's what we have in common.

Football may not be life. But, it's a huge part of our lives and I'm grateful for the many things I've learned from fellow posters on this site. Including stuff about football.
Just stop it. Patriots football has absolutely nothing to do with Doris Day, Tim Conway or Peggy Lipton. Ian graciously has provided this Pub Forum for off-topic discussions about dead celebrities and whatever non-football topic interests you. This is where that stuff belongs.