Next Up: vs 49ers
Pick Results: SF: 38.2% at NE: 61.8%
Sun
Oct 25th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
This book is awesome: I listened to it on audio book a few years back.
In Defense of Food « Michael Pollan

From the link I provided: "Food. There’s plenty of it around, and we all love to eat it. So why should anyone need to defend it?

Because most of what we’re consuming today is not food, and how we’re consuming it — in the car, in front of the TV, and increasingly alone — is not really eating. Instead of food, we’re consuming “edible foodlike substances” — no longer the products of nature but of food science. Many of them come packaged with health claims that should be our first clue they are anything but healthy. In the so-called Western diet, food has been replaced by nutrients, and common sense by confusion. The result is what Michael Pollan calls the American paradox: The more we worry about nutrition, the less healthy we seem to become."

scout

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
This book is awesome: I listened to it on audio book a few years back.
In Defense of Food « Michael Pollan

From the link I provided: "Food. There’s plenty of it around, and we all love to eat it. So why should anyone need to defend it?

Because most of what we’re consuming today is not food, and how we’re consuming it — in the car, in front of the TV, and increasingly alone — is not really eating. Instead of food, we’re consuming “edible foodlike substances” — no longer the products of nature but of food science. Many of them come packaged with health claims that should be our first clue they are anything but healthy. In the so-called Western diet, food has been replaced by nutrients, and common sense by confusion. The result is what Michael Pollan calls the American paradox: The more we worry about nutrition, the less healthy we seem to become."
He might be right. Although, I would not take his word on anything. He stated lies regarding school lunch. I have been in the industry for decades and he committed outright lies. I would believe Trump's dialogue before his word.

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
He might be right. Although, I would not take his word on anything. He stated lies regarding school lunch. I have been in the industry for decades and he committed outright lies. I would believe Trump's dialogue before his word.
That is a shame, I really have enjoyed a couple of his books. What are the lies he said? Do you have a link? I just tried google and nothing came up that was noticeable.

Nikolai

Football Atheist
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly NFL Picks Winner
I've always been pretty healthy, but mostly due to a lot of exercise and not too much drinking.

When I married my wife, she took over the cooking and, wow, what a difference. She cooks only organic or locally sourced and real foods. It's just what she's grown up with all her life. I feel a lot better in many ways, though I'm eating more carbs than I'm used to and starting to see a bit of a belly...whoops.

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I've always been pretty healthy, but mostly due to a lot of exercise and not too much drinking.

When I married my wife, she took over the cooking and, wow, what a difference. She cooks only organic or locally sourced and real foods. It's just what she's grown up with all her life. I feel a lot better in many ways, though I'm eating more carbs than I'm used to and starting to see a bit of a belly...whoops.
I noticed a bit of a belly at a 35 years old, it is barely noticeable in the summer, but in the winter it's my friend, Can't complain at 54 years old, I hover around 185 lbs. at 5' 11" (could be worse). But man do I eat well. My problem now is that my daughter likes to make desserts for her boyfriend and there is always extra laying around, it's too easy to shove a homemade cookie in your mouth. Oh well.

scout

That is a shame, I really have enjoyed a couple of his books. What are the lies he said? Do you have a link? I just tried google and nothing came up that was noticeable.
Years ago I was in a masters program and he ranted and raved about school lunch. I tied his verbiage into a social media assignment I was working on. One of his crusades were that schools used micro-waves. I have been in hundreds of schools and been to numerous food shows where vendors hawk there ware and have never seen micro-waves for production. He talked about government commodities, which I wasn't as knowledgeable. But his credibility was already lost.

scout

I noticed a bit of a belly at a 35 years old, it is barely noticeable in the summer, but in the winter it's my friend, Can't complain at 54 years old, I hover around 185 lbs. at 5' 11" (could be worse). But man do I eat well. My problem now is that my daughter likes to make desserts for her boyfriend and there is always extra laying around, it's too easy to shove a homemade cookie in your mouth. Oh well.
Exercise, sleep and nutrition are ingredients for a long and healthy life. Exercise is immaterial in the case of weight. A reference is a fist represents how much protein you should eat, a softball for vegetables and a tennis ball for fruit. Although, I tend not to worry about fruits and veggies. Controlling the amount of food eaten will govern your weight. Restaurants are horrific for plates of food! I am suspicious of diets that restrict a food component. Then again, I am not a doctor.

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Exercise, sleep and nutrition are ingredients for a long and healthy life. Exercise is immaterial in the case of weight. A reference is a fist represents how much protein you should eat, a softball for vegetables and a tennis ball for fruit. Although, I tend not to worry about fruits and veggies. Controlling the amount of food eaten will govern your weight. Restaurants are horrific for plates of food! I am suspicious of diets that restrict a food component. Then again, I am not a doctor.
Good reminder about the importance of sleep. I’m not doing well lately on that front. This time of year is just too busy on my farm and I am a bit of a night owl. Bad combo.

scout

Good reminder about the importance of sleep. I’m not doing well lately on that front. This time of year is just too busy on my farm and I am a bit of a night owl. Bad combo.
Sleep is more important than nutrition and exercise combined. It's also something that can't be controlled. This fact that echos in my mind. There are more accidents and heart attacks during daylight savings time (when the clock is turned back) than any other time. I give my kids the information and let them decide it's importance.

IllegalContact

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Back in the day, I remember smoking weed and going to sleep. I hardly smoke anymore. Although, today's weed energies me. Great for long road trips!

depends on what you get....the medical indica pins you to the couch....same with edible though that seems to last into the morning for me....it’s good once in a while to shake up the sleep pattern

IcyPatriot

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Sleep is more important than nutrition and exercise combined. It's also something that can't be controlled. This fact that echos in my mind. There are more accidents and heart attacks during daylight savings time (when the clock is turned back) than any other time. I give my kids the information and let them decide it's importance.
For overweight people ... sleep is a bigger factor than they realize.
Finding a way to have restful sleep should be the goal of everyone.
They would be much healthier overall ... it is the #1 factor ...
Sleep, keep the carbs low, try to avoid processed foods ... those 3 are huge to health.

IcyPatriot

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
I don't have a problem sleeping, I have a problem because I am intentionally staying awake to watch sports or play guitar or post here. Siht, as soon as I hit the pillow, I am out. I'm pretty lucky that way.
I had that bad habit for many years ... so I get it ... finally broke the habit
due to many difficulties after my cervical spine acdf operation which caused me many problems.

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
I had that bad habit for many years ... so I get it ... finally broke the habit
due to many difficulties after my cervical spine acdf operation which caused me many problems.
That operation sounds awful, hopefully it sounds worse than it was. Hope you stay healthy.

I'm really enjoying playing my guitar and get really caught up with it. Too often I look up from it and see the clock and it's like two hours later than i thought. It sucks, I feel like there should be shorter days in the summer. so I don't work so late. LOL

IcyPatriot

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
That operation sounds awful, hopefully it sounds worse than it was. Hope you stay healthy.

I'm really enjoying playing my guitar and get really caught up with it. Too often I look up from it and see the clock and it's like two hours later than i thought. It sucks, I feel like there should be shorter days in the summer. so I don't work so late. LOL
One of my life's regrets ... I still may learn to play a
guitar after I sell my business and change careers ... there is still time.
It's a great pastime as i am sure you know to clear one's head and relax.
I listen to piano, guitar, meditation and new age music when I sleep.
I love it ... I posted a few of them here in the Pub.

scout

For overweight people ... sleep is a bigger factor than they realize.
Finding a way to have restful sleep should be the goal of everyone.
They would be much healthier overall ... it is the #1 factor ...
Sleep, keep the carbs low, try to avoid processed foods ... those 3 are huge to health.
Sleep is huge! Society applauds politicians, doctors, soldiers, etc. who work through sleep and the results are horrific. You can never catch up on sleep as sleeping in later doesn't count. The recommendation is going to bed and waking routinely. I find that is a problem with company. The goal is 8 hours of sleep with 6 at a minimum. To your point, lack of sleep will cause health conditions.

Calhoun44

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Sleep is huge! Society applauds politicians, doctors, soldiers, etc. who work through sleep and the results are horrific. You can never catch up on sleep as sleeping in later doesn't count. The recommendation is going to bed and waking routinely. I find that is a problem with company. The goal is 8 hours of sleep with 6 at a minimum. To your point, lack of sleep will cause health conditions.
Fcuk!! Okay already, I'll go to bed earlier. Damn, I should have never started this stupid thread. Now I'm gonna be grumpy all day...and it's not because of my lack of sleep last night. (grumble...grumble...:p:):evil:)