PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does New England Really "Own" Pitt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatekeeper

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Hi all. :)

The consensus among many Pats fans seems to be that The Patriots "own" the Steelers, primarily because of the two AFCCG losses at Heinz field. But is this really the case?

The Kordell Stewart era is long gone, so 2001 should not even be a factor. The Pats also thoroughly dismantled the Steelers in Foxboro in 2002, but again, that was a long time ago.

So, let's just focus on the Roethlisberger era. In '04, Pittsburgh laid a solid whoopin' on the Pats at Heinz field, in what was only Roethlisberger's 5th career start in his rookie year, ending the Pat's 21 game win streak.

Later that season, The Pats won fairly handily in the AFCCG, primarily due to the fact that Ben Roethlisberger finally reached his limit after going 14-0 as a rookie.

In the 2005 rematch, the Pats squeaked out a victory by way of a last minute Vinateri field goal, in a game in which the Steelers may have very well won if not for an unwarranted and unexpected Antwaan Randel El lateral, after a long pass play, that resulted in a turnover.

And that was the last time the two teams have played.

So, in the Roethlisberger era, the Pats are only 2-1 against the Steelers. Two games have been blowouts (one for each team), and one game was a hotly contested battle that came right down to the wire.

On top of all this, Ben Roethlisberger wants this game bad. After four years of being labeled as a "game manager" surrounded by a good team, he will be focused and driven to prove that he is more.

I'm not guaranteeing any wins, but I will say:

Watch out New England. Pitt's comin 4 u. :cool:

The consensus among many Pats fans seems to be that The Patriots "own" the Steelers, primarily because of the two AFCCG losses at Heinz field. But is this really the case?

The Kordell Stewart era is long gone, so 2001 should not even be a factor. The Pats also thoroughly dismantled the Steelers in Foxboro in 2002, but again, that was a long time ago.

So, let's just focus on the Roethlisberger era. In '04, Pittsburgh laid a solid whoopin' on the Pats at Heinz field, in what was only Roethlisberger's 5th career start in his rookie year, ending the Pat's 21 game win streak.

Later that season, The Pats won fairly handily in the AFCCG, primarily due to the fact that Ben Roethlisberger finally reached his limit after going 14-0 as a rookie.

In the 2005 rematch, the Pats squeaked out a victory by way of a last minute Vinateri field goal, in a game in which the Steelers may have very well won if not for an unwarranted and unexpected Antwaan Randel El lateral, after a long pass play, that resulted in a turnover.

So, in the Roethlisberger era, the Pats are only 2-1 against the Steelers. Two games have been blowouts (one for each team), and one game was a hotly contested battle that came right down to the wire.

On top of all this, Ben Roethlisberger wants this game bad. After four years of being labeled as a "game manager" surrounded by a good team, he will be focused and driven to prove that he is more.

Since Tom Brady and BB took over New England has played Pittsburg 5 times.
Tom and the Pats are 4-1.
The "Chin" was 1-4.
"Big" Ben is 1-2.

Nice first post.

Last edited:
All of those games have been played in Pittsburgh. And I like how the Randel-El fumble constitutes a "what-if" scenario, but the loss of Ty Law and Corey Dillon on the first three plays of the '04 regular season game is something to be expected.

Now it's time for the Steelers and Medium Ben to come into the Pats house for once. I think it will be ugly.

I don't we "own" anyone. The consensus after the Colts game was the only tough game left was Pitt, and so far that has turned out 2/3 false.

Pats are more talented than Pitt and should win the game, but Pitt is a solid team.

I expect a competitive game.

I don't think Pit has looked very good lately, but then again, the Pats have shown some weaknesses as well.

I also don't think that past performance is going to much of a determining factor in this game. I can't imagine the Pats playing as bad as they have the last 2 games, although anything is possible.

I look forward to the contest and I'm grateful that the game will be in Foxborro.

On top of all this, Ben Roethlisberger wants this game bad.

Well that seals it, the Patriots have no chance.

How can we possibly argue with tangible football facts like that ?

The Pats have been in 2 tough games.I think this will be the game in which the offense burst out and defense plays lights out.Nobody here is underestimating the Steelers at all.We'll know what they did in 2005.

Since Tom Brady and BB took over New England has played Pittsburg 5 times.
Tom and the Pats are 4-1.
The "Chin" was 1-4.
"Big" Ben is 1-2.

Nice first post.

Thanks.

Last night I head Rodney say that they expect the Steelers to pound the ball with Parker and hold Ben to under 20 throws. I hope they are really expecting that, because I think they will be caught off guard. (Remember Pitt-Indy playoffs '05)

And there's a good chance they are expecting that. The NE run D looked very suspect last night, and if they suspect the Steelers will try to take advantage of that and run the ball all night, it could open up the passing game. And I have a feeling the Pats will spend a lot of time this week on rectifying their run D.

Here's a little tidbit that most football people around the country are not aware of. Even though the Steelers have a rep of being a running team, the running game really hasn't been very dominant this year, as in years past. So if the Pats are too focused on the run game, I expect the passing game to do some damage.

On top of all this, NE's aging defense could be affected by the short week, especially after a physical game.

I have a feeling this is going to be a wild game.

#1 Offense vs. #1 Defense.

The two active quarterbacks with the highest and second highest career winning percentages in the NFL.

The Pats' toughest obstacle left in their pursuit for perfection.

Belichick most likely seething and looking for revenge after Tomlin's early season comments about the video scandal.

The Steelers still having revenge on their minds from the '04 playoffs.

I'm ready to watch this game right now. :rocker:

On top of all this, Ben Roethlisberger wants this game bad.

Oh no! We are doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

I expect a tough game, but the Randle El lateral was only one part of the game.

NE had two turnovers inside the 10 yard line and Pitt was handed a tying TD on a bogus PI call. They also dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball.

I dunno for sure the mentality of the Steelers but it could be that the Patriots are "inside" their heads. In big games, particularly the playoffs the Patriots have beaten the Steelers whenever it mattered. The Pats have also won 4 of the last 5 when these teams went head to head.

That being said, this game will be about this year's teams for sure. It's only those guys that will decide the outcome. I expect the Patriots to play at a high level vs a tough Pitt team and come out with the win. The Patriots have played some really close games lately but Pitt hasn't exactly covered itself in glory lately either, losing to a team like the Jets?

The Steelers have a history of playing either up or down to the level of their opponents. I thought it was just a Cowher thing, but the three losses this year to the Cardinals, Broncos, and Jets seem to show that this Tomlin era team is having the same problem.

They won't lay an egg in this one.

I expect a tough game, but the Randle El lateral was only one part of the game.

NE had two turnovers inside the 10 yard line and Pitt was handed a tying TD on a bogus PI call. They also dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball.

You have a memory like an elephant.

I think Bill Belichick owned Bill Cowher. It seemed like every time we'd play, you guys were always one step ahead of us... and that's all coaching right there. You guys knew what we were going to do before we even did it(run, run, pass, punt). However, our previous years matchups have absolutely zero significance to Sunday's game, both these teams are different than they were then. You guys still have the best QB, and we still have the best "D"... should be a fantastic game.

In the 2004 regular season game, we were without Dillon, Branch and Watson, three critical tools in that season's Patriot arsenal. That was the only time you've beaten us this century.

I love how you skew the statisitics by ignoring games from 2001 and 2002, but conveniently start with mid-season 2004. The truth is, you've beaten us once in the Belichick-Brady era. Once.

Sorry bud...let's just focus on the Brady era. After all, that is the most important era in NFL history!:D

You have a cute way of making excuses for losses and eliminating years for your convenience. Tell you what, lets just consider PLAYOFF games since they're the only ones that count!:D

Last edited:
I think Bill Belichick owned Bill Cowher. It seemed like every time we'd play, you guys were always one step ahead of us... and that's all coaching right there. You guys knew what we were going to do before we even did it(run, run, pass, punt). However, our previous years matchups have absolutely zero significance to Sunday's game, both these teams are different than they were then. You guys still have the best QB, and we still have the best "D"... should be a fantastic game.

Kudos to steelers fans on this thread that are limiting the discussion to football topics. Here is hoping that most of the threads this week are limited to football topics.

Regarding steeler's losses, the three losses have come against non division teams on the road. In fact, Steeler's have lost all of their road games this year except those involving divisional rivals. Is this a weakness of this team under first year coach Mike Tomlin where they are still learning how to win on the road?

From your lips to God's ears...:rofl:

Heh heh. :D I love this crap.

It's funny that you are all mocking the fact that Ben is going to be set on proving his merits as a top 5 NFL QB. And then you will all watch, as he runs, throws, scraps, scratches and claws his team to a victory! And then, at the end of the battle, battered and bruised, he will stand steadfastly at midfield, as he shakes hands with Mr. Brady, saying "I love you, Tommy. You're the best. We'll meet again in January."

Two stalwarts of their craft, the winningest QB's in the game, preparing for their next head to head battle, which will be of far greater magnitude than this regular season matchup.

As far as keeping this as a football discussion, that is just wanted I wanted to do. Stir up some good old fashioned, clean trash talk several days before the game. Get everybody psyched up for this epic, titanic clash of the ages, free of any childish antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back