PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Michael Robinson PSU/QB interest you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosfan

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Wonder where he could be grabbed? Would think 1st round is out of question for everybody and second for us as well - but in the 3rd? I think that might be an interesting pick for us (shades of Matt Jones)...........

Most reports I have read project him as a late round pick or not being picked at all. He did not look good at QB or WR at the Senior Bowl practices.

bosfan said:
Wonder where he could be grabbed? Would think 1st round is out of question for everybody and second for us as well - but in the 3rd? I think that might be an interesting pick for us (shades of Matt Jones)...........

We have our QB situation allset...

Am thinking of this guy as a WR not QB, although he might provide that flexibility factor for us. As far as where he is drafted, I have seen him projected as a first round pick! He is a fine athlete and think he will make the transition with no problem once he accepts being a WR in the pros, he played WR at PSU originally and averaged 15 ypc.

Reports on Robinson after his week at the Senior Bowl:

Kiper - "Penn State's Michael Robinson is not a quarterback. He's not a natural receiver, either. However, he's tough and competitive. The 218-pounder should be tried at safety. At best, he is a late-round pick."

Scouts Inc - "Robinson finally took some reps at wide receiver on Wednesday, but he fought the football and did not demonstrate natural hands or receiving skills. Obviously this was a very small cross section of his ability to play wide receiver, but Robinson would be wise to concentrate on catching the ball and running routes from now until the combine and Penn State's Pro Day. This week did not help Robinson's cause."

bosfan said:
Am thinking of this guy as a WR not QB, although he might provide that flexibility factor for us. As far as where he is drafted, I have seen him projected as a first round pick! He is a fine athlete and think he will make the transition with no problem once he accepts being a WR in the pros, he played WR at PSU originally and averaged 15 ypc.

First round pick? Who said that? His mother?

He'd be lucky to be drafted at all and probably won't be.

Givens was a 7th round pick and he had alot more speed and athletic ability.

mcbee said:
First round pick? Who said that? His mother?

He'd be lucky to be drafted at all and probably won't be.

Givens was a 7th round pick and he had alot more speed and athletic ability.
Did you see him in the Senior Bowl? Looked to me like he had ample speed and athletic ability....

bosfan said:
Second day seems the safe bet after watching the Senior Bowl. The coaches did a nice job of playing to his strengths and calling plays to highlight his abilities. He could be a QB with some seasoning. Reports indicate he is not a natural receiver and one of the analysts, Craig James, who I believe was an NFL RB, expressed the opinion that he didn't have a RB mentality. Kiper wants him to go S, I'd need to see him there. I think he needs a good QB coach and time on the practice squad - somewhere else.

Think he would be a great pick for us in later rounds if he lasts, GBN has him as the 12th ranked WR and is #78 of the top 100 prospects. Think the main factor is for him to wrap his mind around being a receiver in the pros and believe his stock will rise significantly during the combine so doubt he will be there on day two.
Here are some stats
Receiving Stats
YEAR TEAM REC YDS AVG
2002 PSU 9 44 4.9
2003 PSU 10 100 10.0
2004 PSU 33 485 14.7

bosfan said:
Think he would be a great pick for us in later rounds if he lasts, GBN has him as the 12th ranked WR and is #78 of the top 100 prospects. Think the main factor is for him to wrap his mind around being a receiver in the pros and believe his stock will rise significantly during the combine so doubt he will be there on day two.
Here are some stats
Receiving Stats
YEAR TEAM REC YDS AVG
2002 PSU 9 44 4.9
2003 PSU 10 100 10.0
2004 PSU 33 485 14.7

There are dozens of receivers with speed, athletic ability, and production who don't have to "wrap their mind around being a WR" who won't even be drafted.

You could tell from watching on TV that he had speed to be drafted in the 3rd round? He has mediocre at best speed for a WR. Reports from the combine said he looked like he was fighting the ball. Not exactly a natural WR.

He's called a "project" as in it'll be a project to get him to switch. Arnaz Battle was in a similar position, with more athletic ability, and he was picked in the 7th.

Are you related to him? You doubt he'll be there in day 2? LOL, OK.

mcbee said:
There are dozens of receivers with speed, athletic ability, and production who don't have to "wrap their mind around being a WR" who won't even be drafted.

You could tell from watching on TV that he had speed to be drafted in the 3rd round? He has mediocre at best speed for a WR. Reports from the combine said he looked like he was fighting the ball. Not exactly a natural WR.

He's called a "project" as in it'll be a project to get him to switch. Arnaz Battle was in a similar position, with more athletic ability, and he was picked in the 7th.

Are you related to him? You doubt he'll be there in day 2? LOL, OK.
Not related to him but the reports I have read are more postive than your angle, what happened did you play against him and he juked you out of your strap? So you put no credence in jim being in the top 100 players and you think he will last to day 2? In Robinson's fantasy he would like to be a QB in the NFL - they will want him to play WR - if he can accept that mentally and move on believe he will be a successful "project" - it will be interesting to follow.

Hell yes !

Box_O_Rocks said:
Second day seems the safe bet after watching the Senior Bowl. The coaches did a nice job of playing to his strengths and calling plays to highlight his abilities. He could be a QB with some seasoning. Reports indicate he is not a natural receiver and one of the analysts, Craig James, who I believe was an NFL RB, expressed the opinion that he didn't have a RB mentality. Kiper wants him to go S, I'd need to see him there. I think he needs a good QB coach and time on the practice squad - somewhere else.

Box,

Hell, yes! Craig James was an NFL RB. He was the Dillon of the '85 Patriots Superbowl team!! He originally signed with the new league USFL ? WFL? I saw him as a Washingtonm Federal and was happy he joined the Pats after the new league folded.

His career was cut short by a Knee injury and was part of the reason the '85 team subsequently declined. He was a highly sought RB pick out of SMU.

AzPatsFan said:
Box,

Hell, yes! Craig James was an NFL RB. He was the Dillon of the '85 Patriots Superbowl team!! He originally signed with the new league USFL ? WFL? I saw him as a Washingtonm Federal and was happy he joined the Pats after the new league folded.

His career was cut short by a Knee injury and was part of the reason the '85 team subsequently declined. He was a highly sought RB pick out of SMU.
:D Well, I knew I'd heard the name before! The internet was pretty primitive in Alaska in 85, I just was glad the Pats were in the post season so I could watch a game if I wasn't on duty.

Wants to be a Quarterback.

I want to be the Patriots GM, not gonna happen. This kid needs to find a position and stick to it. He may be athletic enough to play defense, I cant see him as a Matt Jones. You can always use in gaget plays, running back option pass plays, reverses ect...

7th round-potential running back

He is only worth a project selection.

MRob

I recently graduated from PSU in Dec and love the guy. He is tough as nails and a freak of an athelete. He is a proven WR (see his RS Jr. season), could play HB, but I think the position he would be best at is safety. He is a smart player who looks for contact. He is also pretty big, roughly 6 foot 1 or 2, 225lbs. I would love the Pats to pick him up because he can play any of the skill positions on the field and is very coachable. Molded from the Pats mold for sure.

Jdubh3 said:
I recently graduated from PSU in Dec and love the guy. He is tough as nails and a freak of an athelete. He is a proven WR (see his RS Jr. season), could play HB, but I think the position he would be best at is safety. He is a smart player who looks for contact. He is also pretty big, roughly 6 foot 1 or 2, 225lbs. I would love the Pats to pick him up because he can play any of the skill positions on the field and is very coachable. Molded from the Pats mold for sure.
I have been waiting for some first hand analysis on Mr. Robinson and so I tyvm JD3, hope the naysayers will pay attention. This guy might become the first quadruple threat in the NFL - WR, QB, Safety and RB. If he was available in 4th through 7th it would be a no brainer - but he won't be - he will definitely be a day one pick.....make a note of that........

You could tell how gifted an athlete he was at the senior bowl and I think he would be a valuable addition to us. He could run with speed and toughness. We could theoretically use him at 4 positions; WR, RB, S, and QB. I wouldn't take him on the first day, but he is worth a flier with our 2nd 4th rounder.

You guys must be related to him.

You could say about any player that "theoretically they could play x positions". The word at the senior bowl was that he practiced RB, WR, and QB and didn't look good at any of them. Absolutely no ability to play QB at the next level.

So he should be drafted in the 3rd ahead of guys who have experience AND success at WR, RB, or safety. He's never played RB but he should be drafted ahead of guys with 1000s of yards. Played WR briefly and should be drafted ahead of guys with 100s of catches. Should be drafted as a potential safety, even though he's never played it. Brilliant. But he can play all 4 of these positions!! Not very well, but so what?

Yes, I'll "mark your post down" and come back to rub it in your face when he's drafted in the 6th or 7th round or not at all.

Why was Givens drafted in the 7th...he was a QB with speed and athletic ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes