PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anybody love the NFL but hates College Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow I couldn't agree more with the statements in this thread. Not only is the BCS system a complete joke, but I also didn't go to a big time school and only casually care if BC wins or not. It's fun to watch the up-and-coming talents, especially when we have such a high pick in the draft, but I find the level of play and flow of the games to be boring about 95% of the time and couldn't care less about rivalries amongst teams whose fan bases largely didn't even go to the colleges they root for. In fact, I've never really understood the level of infatuation this country has with college football. It's like watching a crappier version of the NFL with no clear winner and a ton of one-sided boring, pound-the-run and then lob the ball up for a jump ball type games. At least college basketball is exciting in about 60% of the games, and has a great tournament at the end of the season.

... i do. I could give two bleeps about College Football.
anybody else?

MY LORD YES!!!

I live in Georgia so I am surrounded by college fans. People here watch college football above all else. I guess if all I had to root for was the crappy Falcons I would rather watch college too.

MY LORD YES!!!

I live in Georgia so I am surrounded by college fans. People here watch college football above all else. I guess if all I had to root for was the crappy Falcons I would rather watch college too.

Amazingly from what I know of ATL fans it's ALL they care about. They certainly jump off the Falcons bandwagon whenever they lose a game, they had Braves playoff games they couldn't sell out, do they even know they have a hockey and basketball team? I know the ATL fans that come down to New Orleans are always a bunch of imbeciles, except for the Georgia fans.

My constant struggle is between my intense apathy toward college football and my intense interest in the draft. This year should be an interesting test, because life got busy enough that I've watched exactly zero college football games. And I am the draft board moderator. So now we'll see whether it's possible to know anything at all about the draft without having to actually watch the players! :)

(Oh, ok, maybe I'll tune in tonight what with OSU sporting a whole lineup of Pats prospects. Maybe.)

This really gets under my skin when i hear it on tv "The Computer Polls indicate that... bla bla bla"

My problem with college football is that the end result has no credibilty. If you don't know you are the best when time runs out, then the sport is an exhibition. Similar to figure skating.

I do not watch college football. The games are usually non-competitive. Rarely do the best teams meet outside of bowl games.

The arrogance of the voters and the ESPN talking heads drives me crazy. When a team is undefeated but not USC, LSU or Ohio State, they show them no respect.

Bottom line, no credibility.

I go to maybe 3 or 4 Purdue games a year, and watch when they are on TV. But other than that, I don't really follow any teams.

Different regions have different emphasis's. I lived in Michigan for a while the Pistons had won the Championship a few months before, and nobody even cared when pro-basketball season came around again. College basketball different story.

I don't I ever once saw the Pistons lead the sports news in front of Michigan State basketball. And it was easier to get Piston tickets than State tickets.

Likewise, folks pretty much ignore the Lions (except for the Thanksgiving game) but the Ohio-Michigan game is a state holiday.

NE cares about the red sox a lot more then many other towns care about their baseball team. But most of the country cares a lot more about both high school and college football than NE.

I think maybe it's because East Coast college football historically blows in general. Haven't been exposed to a deep seeded college ball culture like in the midwest or south. At least I haven't. That's my take anyways.

Depends on what you mean by East Coast. One of the top 5 programs is in the northeast.

You mean New England, right?

Strategy in College football is secondary. You just need the best athletes most of the time. That's it in a nutshell. It's all recruiting......and it's all very slanted toowards the big guys.

Want proof?

Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, Lou Holtz, Bud Wilkinson, etc.

All good salesmen (great in the livingroom), lousy on the sidelines.

The only exception I can come up with is Jimmy Johnson. (Don't give me Switzer, he was driving Johnson's Lamborghini and screwed up much of the time).

That stuff works in college. Falls flat in the level playing field NFL, where football knowledge and coaching competence is primary.

And hyet you have more upsets in college.

Look at the WV versus Oklahoma game.

3 star players versus 5 star players. And WV dominated. And why? Better coaching.

I'm convinced that if you went to a bigtime football game, most of you would be won over.

Nothing compares to a football weekend on campus.

People arrive days before, the town turns into one big party, then tailgating, then the game, then more celebrations.

The good teams play for pride, not for money. There are players looking out for the NFL, and you can usually tell by their gutless play on the field.

It's a great great sport, 1,000 times more compelling than the NBA or NHL regular seasons, and more compelling than Atlanta versus Carolina for that matter.

I was just in columbus, OH this weekend and oh man did I feel like saying to the people there "Nobody gives a flying F%^& about your buckeyes"

I used to live near the stadium and I can tell you that living someplace like Columbus is a lot different than looking at it from afar, especially a region like NE where you have several good professional teams.

In college towns it's different. People there identify with the local team just like we do. Same message, different frequency.

I've spent considerable time around several campuses in the fall: IU, OSU, UO, and there definitely is an electricity in the air when there's a big game.

I'm tepid toward it while I live in NE though.

I remember sitting at a Ducks game (Eugene) in 2002 and noticing that the guy next to me was a freakish kind of fan all painted up and obviously a football geek. At some point we talked a little and I said to him, "I'm a NE Patriots fan, and I'm worried about them not stopping the run against the Chiefs" and the guy looked at me with a blank stare, and then without saying a word went back to watching the Ducks.

It made no impression on him, and it was totally out of place to talk professional football in the middle of a hot college game. I always thought that was a weird thing that guys were that far into the college game and could not even relate a little on the level of professional football.

They just don't care.

Like the way some of us don't care about their sport.

I watch the occasional college game when there are two good teams playing pro-style offenses. I far prefer the NFL game and have rarely sat through a complete college game in the past 15 years.

Count me in the "take it or leave it" crowd.

It's football, what's not to love?

It definitely comes second to the NFL for me, but I'll be up at 5am tonight/tomorrow morning watching it, so it must be doing something right.

I'd much rather watch a quality European or South American soccer match than college football.

Occasionally college football rises to the level that catches my attention. Not often though. OSU and LSU just lost too many games between them to make me very interested.

I like my teams undefeated, hehehe.

I'm convinced that if you went to a bigtime football game, most of you would be won over.

People arrive days before, the town turns into one big party, then tailgating, then the game, then more celebrations.

You've made the NASCAR argument for college football. Forget the sport - the parties are great, the atmosphere is unique, etc. I have no doubt that it is true and that I would love the atmosphere of say Ohio St/Michigan.

The problem isn't the atmosphere or the fun or even the players/coaches. The problem is the way the whole sport is setup stinks and it carries on to the field. Teams are encouraged to play weak opponents to help their poll ranking so compelling match-ups outside of mandated conference games are rare. They decide their champion by letting the media/coaches/computers pick then two teams and then give them so much time off that the quality of execution in their showcase games is usually the equivalent of the first NFL preseason game. And their champion's aren't legitimate. LSU and USC both won the national title - in the same year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes