PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you even respect Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATS16N0

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I've been an NFL and Patriot fan since the Bledsoe era. I've seen every single game in the Brady v Manning rivalry, and remember a lot of them in decent enough detail. I have to say, as a Patriot fan, looking at it from the perspective of a New Englander, I do not have the same awe for Peyton Manning that other fan bases have.

I don't see him as a towering NFL figure that needs to be overcome.

I'm not scared when his team is coming to town.

To me, long before it even reached the point of being 10-4, I just see Peyton Manning as Tom Brady and Bill Belichick's *****.

Pardon the language.

I know it's an NFL formality to say "Yes, I respect Peyton Manning," "Yes, Peyton Manning is great," blah blah blah, but really?

Why? Nobody has given the world more Peyton Manning pouty faces than Tom Brady.

Consider this: The last few years, Baltimore became a conference rival. We had their number for a long time, but in the last few years, Baltimore fans had reason not to fear Brady like other fan bases do.

Now multiply that by a factor of 6+ (Ravens had our number two years, we've had Peyton's for over 12, and in a much more dominant way), and so how, honestly are Patriot fans supposed to see Peyton Manning?

Goodbye, sweet Prince. You were the #1 draft pick, the media covers for you in ways I'll never understand, and everyone thinks you're great because of the month of September...

But we're from New England.

So here you're just... Peyton Manning.

peyton_pout__1290437333_3708.jpg

He's one of the greatest QBs of all time and one of the best of his generation. So, yeah, I respect him as a player, a competitor, and for what he's accomplished over his career.

However, what I can't stand is the media ball-washing and all the excuses they make for when he turtles up in big moments like he always does.

I agree with Ozy.

I think he's one of the best QBs ever and I have mad respect for him, but I don't like how the media portrays him as a sort of god that cannot be disrespected or criticized.

I just hate the media fascination over him when the guy from New England had to work for everything he has earned since High School. Manning was gifted with everything that he needed to be successful...Tom just worked hard and kept working and never looked back outdoing the chosen one the one who had everything given to him yet people hate Tom Brady and his ashes to glory story and love Peyton his always having the advantage and media darling. That's what makes me appreciate Tom Brady as my QB even more and disgusts me seeing people actually comparing the two.

Sorry but Peyton Manning doesn't even make my top #5. You guys sure you're just not listening to too much ESPN.

Brady.
Unitas.
Montana.
Elway.
Marino.

Not even sure if I could squeeze him on to a top #10 of all time.

Personally, I respect the hell out of P.Manning, even if we've had his number over the years. He's definitely one of the greatest QB's in the history of the game.

My biggest beef/pet peeve is that there seem to be so many mediots and your "typical" uneducated fan who continues to pound the drum on the Manning vs. Brady debate. If it hasn't sunk in by now, then they are obviously just incredibly biased and will never fully believe the truth.

Just the fact of 5 SB's vs 2 (3 rings vs 1) alone pretty much tells the story, along with the 10-4 Brady vs. Manning edge, but there are many, many more stats and points that people just don't want to buy into. That is what I can't stand about Peyton Manning. Other than that, I think he's clearly the #2 QB of our generation and that he's a pretty nice guy to boot. It's hard to dislike a guy like that who is friends with Brady and had such nice things to say when he was injured etc.

Is Peyton Manning is a GOAT than so is Dan Fouts.

Sorry but Peyton Manning doesn't even make my top #5. You guys sure you're just not listening to too much ESPN.

Brady.
Unitas.
Montana.
Elway.
Marino.

If you don't think that Manning is as good as John freaking Elway, then I don't know what to say aside from everyone has their own opinions.

Manning is probably better than Unitas too in my opinion, although that one may be more difficult; especially if you take the changes of the game into account.

I'd consider putting Manning ahead of Marino for his ability to read defenses, take advantage of mismatches etc. Marino may have been a better pure passer, but he certainly didn't have the intelligence and ability to change things the way that Manning does; nor did he ever win a SB. Marino threw a better deep ball, but Manning spreads apart the defense much more efficiently than Dan Marino ever did.

I think attempting to put all of the greats into one list is pretty hard, and that you have to take it generation by generation. Trying to put one over another makes the exercise really difficult, at least as far as rankings go. One could easily make a list in no particular order, but it's hard to get the top 1, 2, 3 overall. There are arguments for all of the candidates.

Either way, both Brady and Manning are in the top 5 of all-time in most people's opinions.

Hell, the majority of the world can't even figure out that Brady is the clear cut better QB, so that tells you that most people would definitely have Manning in their top 5 for sure.

What I'd like to know is: Does Peyton Manning respect me?

Of course I respect Peyton Manning. Statistically, he's one of the finest regular season Quarterbacks of all time.

I like Manning, but that like is somewhat tempered as he has since coming in to this game been sheltered by domes and high level talent....

Brady otoh plays football outside with "jag's" for the most part..

Manning's publicists have made Peyton into something that he cannot attain.. not sure I have even seen the "fire in the belly" that our #12 has...

Is there any doubt that Peyton is a first ballet Hall of Fame player? We can pick on Peyton all we want and we mostly do it because of the ball-washing he gets from the media, the manning face, and the fact that we've been able to keep him check.

The fact is the guy loves football as much as Brady and gives it all he has. You never count him out of a game and there are things he does better than #12 (Though I'd pick Brady over him, but that's my preference).

if we didn't have TB, there aren't too many other QBs you'd like to have running your offense over Manning. Respect, sure. Like, depends on the moment :D.

I can't tell you who to respect as an NFL QB, but why respect Marino or Elway if not him? Elway couldn't win a title without an unstoppable running back, and Marino never won a title. Both of the teams those guys played on had better defenses than the teams Manning has played on. Manning is better than both those guys, in this era or their era.

Your memory of Manning may be a little hazy after this loss. Here is a summary of all games to remind you. The Pats won the first 6, then the Colts went 4-1 against the Pats, then the Pats won the last 3. Prior to the 2010 game, the media happily pointed out the Pats couldn't beat Manning and Manning now owned the Pats. He ripped the hearts of Pats fans out in the 2006 AFC Championships after the Pats beat the better team in the Chargers, so at the time that didn't feel all that incorrect.

Manning will go down as one of the greatest QBs to play the game. Greats like Montana had great defenses to complement them, and Manning has pretty much had to shoulder the burden of all teams he has played on because his teams have never had a defense. It is amazing he has even one title given the lack of balance. The fact we consider Brady the greatest QB does not diminish who Manning is. The fact BB tried to seal a game with a 4th and 2 play inside his own 50 is a testament to his respect for Manning.

On the whole, Brady and BB have owned the better record but that does not diminish who Manning is in the history of the game. I would absolutely take him as a QB over all others if Brady were not the QB.

I have nothing but respect for Peyton Manning. He is the 2nd best QB of his generation and one of the greatest of all time. His record and accomplishments speak for themselves. That doesn't mean you have to like him, but I can't comprehend how anyone wouldn't respect him. You might not like the ball-washing he gets from the media, but how is that his fault? I see it kind of like the Tebow thing, I don't blame Tebow because his lovers/haters annoy me.

And to be honest I kind of like him as a person. He seems like a genuinely good dude and isn't afraid to laugh at himself. Tom Brady might be a better QB than Peyton Manning, but Manning is 10x the Saturday Night Live host that Brady is :D (I'll still take Brady though)

Manning played in a division of expansion teams (Jags, Texans, Titans) and there was able to rack up brag-worthy stats against rubbish football teams.

His number of one-and-dones in the play offs, you know, when actual real football starts, against real defenses, in real weather, speaks volumes.

I never liked Elway but we was a beast compared to pouty face.
Even Marino had more heart.

well, don shula and joe gibbs both prefer manning. as far as the media goes, if the roles were reversed and brady was a colt and manning was a pat, tommy would be the golden boy. the nyers at espn can't stand that he's a patriot. he embodies everything you want in a star qb and it irritates them to no end. bitter nyers think he should be on one of their teams, but if not, then definitely anywhere but boston.

you have to respect him for his body of work. never mind the ball washers. He's a super player and one of the all time greats.

I can't tell you who to respect as an NFL QB, but why respect Marino or Elway if not him? Elway couldn't win a title without an unstoppable running back, and Marino never won a title. Both of the teams those guys played on had better defenses than the teams Manning has played on. Manning is better than both those guys, in this era or their era.

Your memory of Manning may be a little hazy after this loss. Here is a summary of all games to remind you. The Pats won the first 6, then the Colts went 4-1 against the Pats, then the Pats won the last 3. Prior to the 2010 game, the media happily pointed out the Pats couldn't beat Manning and Manning now owned the Pats. He ripped the hearts of Pats fans out in the 2006 AFC Championships after the Pats beat the better team in the Chargers, so at the time that didn't feel all that incorrect.

Manning will go down as one of the greatest QBs to play the game. Greats like Montana had great defenses to complement them, and Manning has pretty much had to shoulder the burden of all teams he has played on because his teams have never had a defense. It is amazing he has even one title given the lack of balance. The fact we consider Brady the greatest QB does not diminish who Manning is. The fact BB tried to seal a game with a 4th and 2 play inside his own 50 is a testament to his respect for Manning.

On the whole, Brady and BB have owned the better record but that does not diminish who Manning is in the history of the game. I would absolutely take him as a QB over all others if Brady were not the QB.

Peyton manning is the only qb/coordinator that can think on the level and at times outsmart bill belichick.

As as a patriot fan, you can't tell me you don't feel extra anxious when the patriots play a peyton team.

I respect peyton the same way i do magic johnson and Rivera.

Brady.
Unitas.
Montana.
Elway.
Marino.

Sorry gonna have to call you out on something...

But in your opening post you admit to becoming a fan during the Bledsoe years. So that's going 20 years back, but you put Unitas on your list of GOAT? You've watched Manning is whole career, how can you not respect him? There's a reason why as fans we've gotten extremely up for Colts/Broncos week for over a decade. Manning for all his faults, is ****** awesome.

My thing, we hate him because he's always been our biggest threat. He's not better then Brady, and I'll take that to my grave, but Manning is a legend. There's no denying that. I respect the hell out of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes