PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dion Lewis = $6.5 Mill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots' Dion Lewis draws interest from nine teams, expects $6.5M per year

I love Dion Lewis as our starting RB - for the first time in years we actually had a RB who could consistently gain yardage throughout the game (and with an excellent yards per carry!). But is he really worth $6.5/year around the league with his injury history?
Unfortunately the answer is no.
The Injury history is the killer for Me.
Maybe Bill disagrees but I think with the injury history and ineffectiveness in the Superbowl you have to let him go.

Unfortunately the answer is no.
The Injury history is the killer for Me.
Maybe Bill disagrees but I think with the injury history and ineffectiveness in the Superbowl you have to let him go.
I think the question was whether or not he’s worth 6.5m to other teams, like the Shane Vereen situation.

There’s no way in hell that Bill Belichick is going to pay that kind of money here in NE. He may pay 4.5m, or something in that range, and he probably wouldn’t even be sold on that.

lol. no.

:( Thanks for the time here, Dion. That injury really ****ed us. Ring in 2015 and it took him 2 years to fully recover.

I do appreciate the team-friendly deal he took when he looked like he was going to become a Patriots' legend.

We'll always remember that ridiculous TD he scored against Dallas in 2015.

Hopefully we get him at a team friendly deal, but I think we all know how this one ends.

Patriots' Dion Lewis draws interest from nine teams, expects $6.5M per year

I love Dion Lewis as our starting RB - for the first time in years we actually had a RB who could consistently gain yardage throughout the game (and with an excellent yards per carry!). But is he really worth $6.5/year around the league with his injury history?

Swami sez: The "source with knowledge of the situation and Lewis' free-agency plans" who claims that 9 teams are chasing Lewis with offers in the $6.5M rage is .... (opens envelope) Lewis' agent!

It depends upon how it’s structured and guaranteed money, but I don’t think thecPatriots will entertain 20 million. 15 is about as high as I see them going.

Bye Lewis, it was great having you on the team. Good luck with your new team....except against the Patriots!

If you do not have an elite QB or elite offense then absolutely he is worth that much salary.

Best of luck to him, I hope he stays healthy. He feels to me like someone who will get lost in the shuffle on another team. Like Vereen did on the Giants, he quickly became a JAG there.

Glad Lewis was able to revive his career here, and glad he got a ring here. But, that money is unrealistic for him to stay.

Love his game but hell no.

In a different year, he might have gotten it. But the draft is loaded with running backs this year. I can't imagine a team paying him $6.5M when they can draft a guy on day 3 and get 80-90% of that production for a fraction of the cost.

The Pats have been looking at RBs early on in the scouting process for the draft and I would suspect that this is one of the reasons why (outside of normal due diligence). At that number, he's gone. I wish him luck wherever he goes unless it's against the Pats.

It depends upon how it’s structured and guaranteed money, but I don’t think thecPatriots will entertain 20 million. 15 is about as high as I see them going.

He's got the injury history, but he's only 27.
And he was not only very durable last year, he did it while running a lot between the tackles displaying power and toughness on top of his quickness/speed/elusiveness.
I agree with you Ivan, I think it's more about the guaranteed $. If I'm Dion, I'm sacrificing a couple years for larger % of guaranteed $.
But I think that's also what the Pats would prefer. No more than 3 years.
They could offer more guaranteed $ and in return, ask for some of it to be incentive-based. This protects both the Pats and Dion. And if he plays as well over the next couple years, he still might do ok again as a free agent in 3 years.
I'd still say the odds are more in favor of him leaving, but I think the Pats value him more than most fans think and they'll make more than just a half-hearted attempt at resigning him.
The x factor in this is burkhead. He's less of a sure thing than Lewis,also has injury history. But rex will also come a lot cheaper. But Pats are highly unlikely to sign both.
I'm not as pessimistic as most here.
It's not a slam dunk that he's leaving.

He's got the injury history, but he's only 27.
And he was not only very durable last year, he did it while running a lot between the tackles displaying power and toughness on top of his quickness/speed/elusiveness.
I agree with you Ivan, I think it's more about the guaranteed $. If I'm Dion, I'm sacrificing a couple years for larger % of guaranteed $.
But I think that's also what the Pats would prefer. No more than 3 years.
They could offer more guaranteed $ and in return, ask for some of it to be incentive-based. This protects both the Pats and Dion. And if he plays as well over the next couple years, he still might do ok again as a free agent in 3 years.
I'd still say the odds are more in favor of him leaving, but I think the Pats value him more than most fans think and they'll make more than just a half-hearted attempt at resigning him.
The x factor in this is burkhead. He's less of a sure thing than Lewis,also has injury history. But rex will also come a lot cheaper. But Pats are highly unlikely to sign both.
I'm not as pessimistic as most here.
It's not a slam dunk that he's leaving.

Agree completely. I think they want to keep him but I also believe that Lewis sees this ( rightfully) as his big payday, and he’s going for the money.

Agree completely. I think they want to keep him but I also believe that Lewis sees this ( rightfully) as his big payday, and he’s going for the money.

Yeah,that's his right. I couldn't blame him. These guys have short careers.
If he's 100% about the most money I agree he's gone.
But there's some middle ground there.
Pat's could almost match dollars per year, but make it incentive-based for fewer years but with more $ guaranteed.
G.Bernard, I believe, just signed for $5.1 yr. So Pat's offer 5myr 3yrs but all guaranteed ( but performance-based). Not out of the question.
I love Dion and got a feeling he's gonna continue to be very good over next few years, but my main concerns are 1. Gronk returning( I'm confident he will) and 2. signing Solder.
The rest is gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey