PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did you sell your season ticket on StubHub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No, but I did BUY some season tickets last year to a Pats game! Uh-oh. What are they gonna do? Spank me? LOL

In al seriousness though, I totally agree with The pats stance on this. I'd love to see all these ticket-scalping sites out of business! The prices they're asking for tickets on these sites are absolutely ridiculous! I got a "decent" deal last year on some good tickets, but I only payed the price to fulfil my girlfriend's dream of going to see her beloved Pats in Foxboro. Scalping is illegal in many (if not MOST states), and in reality these sites are no better than the typical street-thug scalpers outside of the stadiums. The whole business makes it nearly impossible for the "average Joe" to attend an NFL game these days.

Did I mention that I hate ticket-scalping websites? Yea, well I do.

P.S. StubHub....I hate you. ;)

Yeah, I don't understand the part about the Patriots needing the names of those who purchased tickets.

If you're a season ticket holder, do you sign any agreement that says you won't BUY tickets for more than face value?

I've never really understood how stubhub (actually ebay now) gets away with it. There are laws against scalping in many of the jurisdictions they do business. And they know full well that the are enabling many season ticket holders to violate their agreements with the clubs.

Maybe you think ticket scalping laws are stupid. Maybe you think rules that clubs have that you can't resell their tickets are stupid. But until the rules are changed, I don't get how stubhub gets away with it.

I always thought the red sox should do something similar. Just buy one pair of tickets on ebay or stub hub, cancel the tickets of the season ticket holder, and publicize that you're prepared to do the same to others. I would think the scalper market would dry up pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Scalping is legal here in Florida, and I think it's great. That's what the free market is all about.

I think buying tickets from an unlicensed seller is technically against the law, but I'd eat my hat if Massachusetts were to prosecute even one of those cases.

Scalping is legal here in Florida, and I think it's great. That's what the free market is all about.
It's not all about scalping, it's about violating an agreement people signed with the Patriots in order to get season tickets. Enforceability of contracts is also part of the free market ;)

It's not a free market issue for season tickets, at least for clubs that have rules on what may happen to their tickets. They can put whatever conditions they want on the tickets, and if they don't want them resold for more than face value (or other than through their system), that's their right. They own the product. They make the rules.

I think it's a great rule. As quoted in the article, there are lots of people on the patriots waiting list who are prepared to live by the rules.

Do the Patriots even need the names? Doesn't stubhub specify the seat #s so the Patriots can look it up anyway?

If this name disclosure gets applied to eBay then the market may be changed but there's still people selling on craigslist without any trail.

BTW, has anyone ever gotten a face value ticket on their exchange? I didn't even know that existed (or maybe I just forgot). Are those the tickets only available to people on the wait list? If so that's why I don't hear much about it.

Does this list have any seniority priority? Someone on the list for 10 years gets the opportunity to buy before the guy who signed up yesterday?

Last edited:
In al seriousness though, I totally agree with The pats stance on this. I'd love to see all these ticket-scalping sites out of business! The prices they're asking for tickets on these sites are absolutely ridiculous! I got a "decent" deal last year on some good tickets, but I only payed the price to fulfil my girlfriend's dream of going to see her beloved Pats in Foxboro. Scalping is illegal in many (if not MOST states),
Actually, scalping is legal in something like 43 states and Massachusetts will be #44 within a few months. It will be very interesting to see what the Patriots approach is going forward... they can certainly bust people who have done it in the past but it's going to be tricky going forward trying to punish people for engaging in a legal activity.

Yeah, I don't understand the part about the Patriots needing the names of those who purchased tickets.

If you're a season ticket holder, do you sign any agreement that says you won't BUY tickets for more than face value?

I've never really understood how stubhub (actually ebay now) gets away with it. There are laws against scalping in many of the jurisdictions they do business. And they know full well that the are enabling many season ticket holders to violate their agreements with the clubs.

Maybe you think ticket scalping laws are stupid. Maybe you think rules that clubs have that you can't resell their tickets are stupid. But until the rules are changed, I don't get how stubhub gets away with it.
Well, fact is many teams are actually in bed with StubHub, encouraging their fans to resell the tickets there (even above face value). The Patriots are really on an island with this issue.

Maybe I'm alone on this issue, but I like websites that re-sell Pats tickets, otherwise I wouldn't have a way of buying tickets to games.

It's not a free market issue for season tickets, at least for clubs that have rules on what may happen to their tickets. They can put whatever conditions they want on the tickets, and if they don't want them resold for more than face value (or other than through their system), that's their right. They own the product. They make the rules.
Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Some states, most notably NY, have made laws that prevent teams from punishing their season ticket holders for scalping tickets. Massachusetts is looking at a similar provision, which will essentially bar a team from getting into bed with a scalper and also punishing season ticket holders who do the same.

So, in otherwords, if the Pats have a relationship with TicketMaster then I can scalp my season tickets all day long and they can't do squat about it.

Maybe I'm alone on this issue, but I like websites that re-sell Pats tickets, otherwise I wouldn't have a way of buying tickets to games.
That's what I always say :D A free, open market benefits the consumer. People always think that if scalping was illegal, then "regular fans" would have unrestricted access to tickets at cheap prices. It just doesn't work that way.

NOTE: Whenever ever people try to argue this point with me, they always bring up examples like gasoline in a hurricane or water shortages or whatever. My argument depends on the established fact that we are talking about a luxury item and a completely non-essential good. We're not talking about health care or bottled water in a hurricane or anything like that.

Last edited:

won't it be nice to see all those terrible towels in the stands when the squeelers come to town, stub hub baby

I bought tickets on Ebay, which is owned by stub hub , does this make me a bad person:eek:

Actually, that's not entirely accurate. Some states, most notably NY, have made laws that prevent teams from punishing their season ticket holders for scalping tickets. Massachusetts is looking at a similar provision, which will essentially bar a team from getting into bed with a scalper and also punishing season ticket holders who do the same.

So, in otherwords, if the Pats have a relationship with TicketMaster then I can scalp my season tickets all day long and they can't do squat about it.

Interesting that states do this. In fact, though, those laws are probably unconstitutional. Not sure they'd ever get challenged. But I'd take the case.

Interesting that states do this. In fact, though, those laws are probably unconstitutional. Not sure they'd ever get challenged. But I'd take the case.
I am not sure what part of the constitution addresses the idea of a team not being allowed to punish STHs for engaging in a legal activity... But the reasoning behind it is to prevent a monopolistic practice. In otherwords, if a team is going to benefit from scalping by having a deal with StubHub (and these days, many teams do have such an arrangement), then that team can't turn around and restrict people from scalping on other sites like Ace Tickets or eBay or whatever.

Trust me... If scalping becomes legal in the Commonwealth, as it is widely expected to be sooner or later, the Patriots will join in on the fun. And they won't have a legal leg to stand on to prevent STHers from doing the same.

Last edited:
I am not sure what part of the constitution addresses the idea of a team not being allowed to punish STHs for engaging in a legal activity... But the reasoning behind it is to prevent a monopolistic practice. In otherwords, if a team is going to benefit from scalping by having a deal with StubHub (and these days, many teams do have such an arrangement), then that team can't turn around and restrict people from scalping on other sites like Ace Tickets or eBay or whatever.

Trust me... If scalping becomes legal in the Commonwealth, as it is widely expected to be sooner or later, the Patriots will join in on the fun. And they won't have a legal leg to stand on to prevent STHers from doing the same.

The Pats have an agreement with TicketMaster. Only STH's and those on the waiting list can buy tickets through the TicketExchange program.

Although the tickets are at face value a fee is added (I think it's around $7 per ticket) and you can only use a Visa card to purchase those tickets.

The Pats are trying to create a monopoly.

Any chance all of these STHs get their tickets revoked? I just joined the waitlist this summer and having 13,000 (at least 20,000 seats??) of the people in front of me kicked out would not upset me at all. Does anyone have an idea as to how long/how many people are currently on the waitlist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes