PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**** MacPherson passes away at age 86

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score

Was the Patriots head coach in 1991-92

Took over for Rod Rust and the team improved from 1-15 to 6-10. However, other than Andre Tippett the team was devoid of any talent (the quarterbacks were Hugh Millen and Tommy Hodson). His rah-rah style would make Pete Carroll look somber, but he was the right coach at that time after the Lisa Olson incident and Victor Kiam's ill advised jokes about Patriot missiles.

MacPherson was better suited for the college game though, and spent much of his second and final season in the hospital - likely regretting the lure of money to leave Syracuse. He is the answer to the trivia question 'who did Bill Parcells replace as head coach of the New England Patriots'?

RIP ****, good guy, bad NFL coach.

God bless, and RIP

Took over for Rod Rust and the team improved from 1-15 to 6-10.

May the good Lord rest you and keep you, ****. And thank you from us Pats fans who were suffering in the darkness of the early 90's... you shined a light and gave us hope. :)

Those were still some fun years for me. I didn't know any better as a little tyke.

My thoughts go out to him and his family. Definitely one of the classiest guys in the football community.

I'm bummed. I still remember him hugging Jon Vaughn after a KOR TD. Seemed like a great guy.

Yeah, super important to point that out. Why do people always have to say that sort of ****.
Yeah, his big trademark was hugging people.

I'm bummed. I still remember him hugging Jon Vaughn after a KOR TD. Seemed like a great guy.

Yeah, super important to point that out. Why do people always have to say that sort of ****.

Probably because it's how we remember him. Good guy, poor coach.

Mac was a good man. Poor guy made a bad decision to at the time join the Titanic of NFL teams and it almost cost him his life.

I appreciated his energy. He brought life to a dead franchise.

Bummer. Fellow Mainer. My first Pat's game live was 1991. Pats v. Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers. Hugh Millen hits Greg McMurtry for a 20 yard TD with 6 seconds left to win at the old Sullivan Stadium. I was already hooked at that point, but that day really cemented it. RIP ****.

God speed and RIP.

Some pretty cool memories to watch here from that season.

Why, I recognize them, those are the New England Patriots. I've been rooting for them since the Sixties; I'm proud they represent us.

They disappeared from the face of the Earth in 1993; made a brief appearance vs. the Jets in 2012...nothing since...

Very Good Man, Very Good College coach, not a fit for the NFL.

RIP Coach.

Bummer. Fellow Mainer. My first Pat's game live was 1991. Pats v. Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers. Hugh Millen hits Greg McMurtry for a 20 yard TD with 6 seconds left to win at the old Sullivan Stadium. I was already hooked at that point, but that day really cemented it. RIP ****.
Bangor I believe is where he is from?

Actually, Coach Mac was from Old Town, ME which is just north of Bangor. RIP Coach!

Just seemed like one of the most decent people. Too decent to be a coach in the NFL, but the kind of coach/man you want your kids to play for. I guess that is the highest compliment you can give a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes