SOURCE:Yahoo! Sports

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 15th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
First Impressions
With the Dolphins up next, Steve Balestrieri takes a closer look at Miami and finds that new coach Brian Flores and his staff have their work cut out for them.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Devin McCourty thinking of joining national anthem protests

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Biffins, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBR

TBR Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12,462
    [​IMG]

2. lamafist

lamafist Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +133
    From 2001-2002, the National Bureau of Economic Research performed a study in which they replied to thousands of help-wanted ads in newspapers with the same fictitious resume, with the only difference being the names -- applicants with "white" sounding names like Emily and Greg got 50% more callbacks for interviews than applicants with "black" sounding names, like Lakisha and Jamal.

That is not what anyone would call "equal opportunity," and it's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes the readily available evidence illustrating the many, many factors standing in the way of anything resembling "equal opportunity" for African Americans.

Of course, all the evidence in the world likely doesn't matter, considering the increasingly well-documented psychological phenomenon that people respond to evidence contradicting a previously held belief by doubling down and becoming more confident in the challenged belief, rather than incorporating the new information into their thinking.(1, 2, 3)

3. lamafist

lamafist Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +133
    Wow, that is some seriously shameless cherry-picking going on in the "Are the Police Racist?" video.

If you look at the actual study -- which examines data regarding all typed of excessive use of force, and not only lethal shootings in isolation -- is pretty much the exact opposite of what the seriously-crazy-eyed lady in the video makes it out to be -- at least, according to the author of the study, the police ARE more likely to employ force on a per encounter basis with blacks and latinos.

Additionally, as Roland Fryer points out, his study doesn't actually contradict the one from the previous year that did isolate on shootings, and found that unarmed black men were 3.5 times more likely to be shot by the police than white counterparts -- they ask different questions, and employ different methods.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,950
    Do fans stand for the National Anthem at home, and if they do not should they be banmished to a franchise like Cleveland or Jacksonville??

It is all much ado about nothing, but unfortunately in this political society, everything is bigger than it need be.. let him do what he wants to do, his politics are none of my business...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mosslost

mosslost Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6,167
    @Wheelman Come on now Wheelman.. Come on now.. You can do it.

6. chasa

chasa Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7,495
    Hey man soon as BLM and Antifa work to eliminate an entire religion via concentration camps and gas chambers, we'll all tell you we were wrong and should have listened. But until then, maybe loosen the straps on that helmet your mom makes you wear because your heads too soft.

7. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,038
    TBR I'm not using my personal experiences to start a conversation I am using them to say I understand why players are sitting. I'm a white guy btw fwiw.

I have black friends I grew up with in the military or served with and they have all shared their experiences with me. There is a problem.

It has always bothered me that life inside of the military was so much different than outside of it.

I do think those who blame these issues on racism are just as lazy as those who tout equal opportunities exists for all. It is a much more complicated than that.

So without getting into a discussion about systemic failures that affect all lower income communities but impact African American communities at a much higher rate, I'm just going to say that it doesn't bother me if someone kneels during the NA. There is a serious problem and they are just trying to bring attention to it. They are simply using their voice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tony2046

Tony2046 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32,038
    I agree with the findings and the statistics but hate when the conclusion is "racist cops". I find that conclusion lazy and irresponsible. We are essentially asking police officers to become super humans. We ask them to police high crime rate neighborhoods without becoming conditioned to respond in a particular manner. I find this situation eerily similar to how soldiers returning home from Vietnam were treated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pheenix11

pheenix11 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,093
  10. ALP

ALP Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +2,831
    so a lot of whats in this thread is pretty wrong and has people exposed as brainwashed zombies who just eat up whatever theyre served by whomever makes them feel giddy, so most of it i just ignored

but the bolded above? thats delusion to a remarkably hysterical degree right there, good job bud, pat yourself on the back, you're a big part of why we're going backwards for the last 30 years rather than forward

• Like Like x 1
  11. Biffins

Biffins Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,873
    Why was this moved? How is this off-topic. This could potentially create a disruption in team harmony and chemistry, and lead to drama and a distraction, and could significantly affect our performance for the season. How could something that affects our chances to win games be considered off-topic? e.g. I didn't see anyone moving threads about Gisele's commentary on Tom's concussions or Welker's jokes/comments about Rex's foot fetish to the off-topic forum. Reason being that the drama they caused could potentially affect the team (Welker was actually benched by BB at the start of the next game). What if BB benches McCourty etc. Would this then be considered relevant to Pats?

12. chasa

Ratings:
    +7,495
  13. TBR

TBR Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12,462
    For one, in-group preferences are natural, not "racist". That study might hold some value if the black applicants' qualifications were notably superior. They were the exact same. You'd get similar results if you had identical black and white resumes handed to black owned businesses. Or try your luck in an Asian country. Or Middle Eastern.

Secondly, that would overwhelmingly be negated by racial quotas, which routinely involve hiring or accepting a black applicant over a white, solely for their skin color, despite lesser qualifications. That can even be dangerous, depending on the profession.

14. TBR

TBR Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12,462
    Gee, it's almost like blacks and latinos are statistically more likely to resist arrest, turn violent or be carrying a deadly weapon.

"Unarmed" does not mean innocent. Michael Brown was "unarmed"... then grabbed the cop's gun. Some other BLM martyr was "unarmed"... yet refused to show his hands/move them away from his back, until he whipped his hand out with a handgun gesture and got shot on the spot.

-----------

It's almost like the #1 constant here is the wildly high and disproportionate black crime rates. And the mind-numbingly idiotic trend of resisting arrest.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lavictoire

Lavictoire Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +784
    Too late when the camps are here, this is how it starts. These are the Red Guards. Even ANTIFA Boston describes themselves as "anarcho-communists" and NOT Patriots. They are not for defending our freedoms and say so themselves. Scroll down this page I linked and look for the tweet of the burning flag by Boston ANTIFA and they chastise liberals in the tweet for calling them patriots and they declare in their own tweet they are anarchists and communists! I'm thinking clearly, it is you who needs to wake up

Tide Turns Against Antifa As Media Attempts To Protect Domestic Terrorists, Fails Spectacularly

Scroll even further down that page I linked and look at the clip of no less a liberal than Alan Dershowitz condemning ANTIFA as a "radical anti-America communist organization"

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  16. Bombdog

Bombdog On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +352
    Again the answer to this is play the Anthem before the players come out. End of story. if the players wish to protest they can take it the streets like the rest of people

17. DW Toys

DW Toys In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +997
    Superb idea!

If that happens this stuff will stop.

The NFL wants us to buy what their sponsors sell? Maybe boycott the "Kaepernick Support Show" sponsored by XYZ company. Don't buy that brand.

This is the same man who was wearing a Fidel Castro and Malcom X shirt.
    So let me get this strait. There are the politically correct "warriors" who now want to now praise Castro and think Malcom X was not a racist, want to pull down historical statues just because they say so?..... great. George....you're next! Does anybody know if Robert E. Lee was a racists, or just fought for the love of his Virginia? We definitely know about the other 2. You know. Kaepernicks role models.

This guy is the QB who in his infinite wisdom turned down his multi-million dollar contract extension? He, who has the fiance who told him to protest (although I suppose if my wife told me I would do the same....preservation and all) He is the guy you want as the face of your Team?

What could possibly go wrong?

When Tebow was being skewered because he professed his Christianity, where were the P.C. warriors?

Now the owners of 32 NFL Teams are being told by the NAACP that they should hire Kaepernick

Why doesn't the League ask the fan base if they want to see this garbage? My guess is at least 80% say no. If the numbers are the other way, construct a podium for more visibility.

The big news: Now NBC is going to have a show within the show before the KC game, of having the players televised to see who is kneeling or not. How about football fans boycotting watching that crap segment?

If I wanted to watch fake politics I would watch fake news or other "outlets".

BB's father coached at Navy. What a great slap in the face Mr. "I make millions" McCourty. I would have no problems with cutting or trading that player.

You have a fan base that is as divided as this country, and that has been going on for years fueled by the press, and whichever side your on you must agree. I would suspect say even a 50/50 fan sentiment about whether or not all the Police should be drawn and quartered and this country isn't quite as good as Cuba (see CK.No oppression there!). This has no place on the field. 50% (much more I'm sure) of fans don't want to see that no mater what side.

The Clubs are a business. Why would you want to put a negative connotation on your business on purpose?

So let me get this strait. The Teams have invested billions in their Teams. The NFL has sponsors they need to have. The sponsors need to sell product and the players, who don't own the Clubs or Stadiums, own the League or perhaps not even buy the Hyundais that the League wants to help sell...........these players have the right to piss off or not piss off millions of fans on someone else's field and someone else's time?

You on this forum. Yes you! Go to the middle of your work place right now, and instead of working, take a knee in solidarity of those who think that the Police are all bad dudes, and oh, by the way the country is garbage.....What? You are not making millions of dollars a year playing sports games for a living? Boy this is a terrible country.
    DW Toys

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  18. chasa

Ratings:
    +7,495
    So im scrolling down, and decided to look at some other "articles" they posted and.. uhh, you know what if that's where you are getting your news, a place that lists Breitbart as one of its "top sites" then there really isn't any point in having a discussion.

I mean im looking at all of their "news" posts in august, as opposed to the "alternative news" posts which they keep seperate, And i cant for the life of me see one single post about folks marching with Nazi flags in virginia.

But they mention antifa 4 times

Oh hey there is a nazi reference.. oh waits its about google and youtube trying to silence independent media.

This site has all the appearances of a conspiracy theorist doomsday preppers personal manifesto.

19. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +8,330
    Math Quiz.

Count the number of comments in this thread that are primarily about the New England Patriots.

Count the number of comments in this thread that are primarily about politics.

Then look for the number of comments that have currently been written.

Now the math quiz question: what is the percentage of comments that are about the Pats, and what percentage is about politics?

The comparisons provided (such as Giselle's comments about Tom's concussions) were completely on topic (about the Patriots). If a time comes that McCourty is reprimanded by the Patriots, then it will be on topic. That is pure speculation and is not the case now. Refer to the answers to the math quiz question above.

The thread has not been locked or deleted. It is in the most appropriate forum available on this site based on the nature of the topic, and people that wish to can comment on the subject matter. There is even a temporary link from the first page of the main forum, directing those who are interested to this conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. TB_Helmet

TB_Helmet In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,697
    I can't believe you typed all that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.