PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deshaun Watson? (UPDATED: Caserio Says Team Has "no interest" in trading him)

Gilmore and 2 firsts?

Id go hard after this

If the Dolphins were to offer Tua, the third pick, and another high pick or two I would strongly consider if I were Caserio but only if the situation with Watson truly is unfixable.

I get it if he hates the owner... but its not Caserio's fault or the new HCs fault... he can be mad at the owner but I can't see why he would refuse to play under HC/GM?? In that case, I don't know why you would trade Watson.

I get it if he hates the owner... but its not Caserio's fault or the new HCs fault... he can be mad at the owner but I can't see why he would refuse to play under HC/GM?? In that case, I don't know why you would trade Watson.
I’m fully on board with 3 1sts and Gilmore for Watson or Zach Wilson

If what is stated in this article is true I don't blame Watson for being done with the Texans. Easterby seems like a power hungry egomaniac and McNair seems like a bumpkin version of Tommy Boy. Praying on real life decisions and personnel moves. Absolute insanity.

"Easterby delivered a speech that was described in multiple direct accounts as a lengthy missive intended to be rousing. The discourse centered almost entirely on Deshaun Watson, the Texans’ star quarterback at the end of a historically great—if wasted—season. Easterby, those sources said, was effusive in his praise for the quarterback, but to the dismay of many, he did not extend the same attention to: J.J. Watt, the team leader and greatest player in franchise history, who was on the verge of completing only his second healthy season in the past five years; the turmoil that engulfed the organization; the midseason firing of coach Bill O’Brien; or the future of a franchise seeking new leadership.

Easterby, in answering emailed questions from Sports Illustrated via a team spokesperson, described it as a “brief intro speech” and that “afterward, I was thanked by many players and coaches for my words.” But multiple players texted their representatives that night to describe a meandering address unlike any they’d heard. Others, one source said, left the meeting “pissed off,” believing Easterby’s only intention was to curry favor with the quarterback. Watson, if anything, was embarrassed by the show, two sources said."

"A former team chaplain turned “character coach” in New England and now Houston’s executive VP of football operations, Easterby had made a habit of asking coworkers to take his hand and pray for wisdom when making workplace decisions. He often did so with people who reported to him; some felt they had no choice but to oblige, even if this made them uncomfortable. McNair, though, strongly identifies with Easterby’s Christian faith. The two were among the last people to leave NRG Stadium the night of the season-ending loss. And, according to multiple members of the organization, with the biggest decision for the franchise’s future looming—who would lead the team moving forward—word spread throughout the building that Easterby and McNair prayed for enlightenment."

do the jets or dolphins have the cap room to take on watson's contract ?

If what is stated in this article is true I don't blame Watson for being done with the Texans. Easterby seems like a power hungry egomaniac and McNair seems like a bumpkin version of Tommy Boy. Praying on real life decisions and personnel moves. Absolute insanity.

"Easterby delivered a speech that was described in multiple direct accounts as a lengthy missive intended to be rousing. The discourse centered almost entirely on Deshaun Watson, the Texans’ star quarterback at the end of a historically great—if wasted—season. Easterby, those sources said, was effusive in his praise for the quarterback, but to the dismay of many, he did not extend the same attention to: J.J. Watt, the team leader and greatest player in franchise history, who was on the verge of completing only his second healthy season in the past five years; the turmoil that engulfed the organization; the midseason firing of coach Bill O’Brien; or the future of a franchise seeking new leadership.

Easterby, in answering emailed questions from Sports Illustrated via a team spokesperson, described it as a “brief intro speech” and that “afterward, I was thanked by many players and coaches for my words.” But multiple players texted their representatives that night to describe a meandering address unlike any they’d heard. Others, one source said, left the meeting “pissed off,” believing Easterby’s only intention was to curry favor with the quarterback. Watson, if anything, was embarrassed by the show, two sources said."

"A former team chaplain turned “character coach” in New England and now Houston’s executive VP of football operations, Easterby had made a habit of asking coworkers to take his hand and pray for wisdom when making workplace decisions. He often did so with people who reported to him; some felt they had no choice but to oblige, even if this made them uncomfortable. McNair, though, strongly identifies with Easterby’s Christian faith. The two were among the last people to leave NRG Stadium the night of the season-ending loss. And, according to multiple members of the organization, with the biggest decision for the franchise’s future looming—who would lead the team moving forward—word spread throughout the building that Easterby and McNair prayed for enlightenment."

There's nothing wrong with praying for guidance, as long as it doesn't result in decision-making paralysis...

What separates people like Easterbunny from others is that instead of heeding God's advice, he chooses to ignore it ... He has now become a professor in the school of Do as I say not as I do / The law is for Thee but not for Me, from where liars, hypocrites & back-stabbers graduate ...

Last edited:
We have three Deshaun Watson threads in two forums that all seem to pretend that the NFL salary cap is the same as an MLB salary cap (ie, meaningless).

All seem to miss the not-so-trivial point that trading Watson results in $21,600,000 of dead cap money for the Texans.

While also creating not just zero cap savings, but an additional $5,660,000 of lost cap space to Houston.

This for a team that is already $18,000,000 over the cap.

???

do the jets or dolphins have the cap room to take on watson's contract ?
The big money in his contract doesn't kick in until 2022 (it's $10.5M in 2021, then $35M in 2022).

JEST, easily (they have slightly more than the Patriots). Dolphins less so, but they can do it (they're at $23M).

We have three Deshaun Watson threads in two forums that all seem to pretend that the NFL salary cap is the same as an MLB salary cap (ie, meaningless).

All seem to miss the not-so-trivial point that trading Watson results in $21,600,000 of dead cap money for the Texans.

While also creating not just zero cap savings, but an additional $5,660,000 of lost cap space to Houston.

???
They can restructure a few contracts/release a couple of players to get themselves under the cap.

I do not hide Watson is fun to watch and I really like him but bringing him to the Foxborough would demand a huge ransom.
Watson in Jets, please noooo.

Jets and dolphins can offer top 3 picks this year an early second and a first next year and I don’t know how houston turns that down

Jets and dolphins can offer top 3 picks this year an early second and a first next year and I don’t know how houston turns that down
If I am Houston I don’t listen to offers under 5 1st rnd pick and that’s the starting point!

Watson in a top 5 Qb and he is 25 yo! Adams commanded 2 1st! Waston is more valuable by a mile

Not accurate - it's $60m+ if he's cut, but it's only about $21m if he is traded. Even less if he is traded after June 1st but seems more likely it would happen before.
21 million for 2021 ... but doesnt the cap hit play out over the length of the contract based on the guarantees, which is 67+/- million dollars? thats a lot of dead money to be carrying for some one elses franchise quarterback

I would not trade a franchise quarterback for both the Jets and Fins picks combined.

I don’t see why on earth Houston does this. You could get 10 first round picks and still not find a QB of his caliber. Not overhyping Watson, I’m just ball-parking that only 1/10 first round QBs hit his level of production and skill?

???
And if he doesn’t want to play there guess what? He’s going to get traded.

Here’s the thing he’s not coming here 2 words
Easterby Kraft. Easterby runs the team with the owner.
Not happening.

I don’t see why on earth Houston does this. You could get 10 first round picks and still not find a QB of his caliber. Not overhyping Watson, I’m just ball-parking that only 1/10 first round QBs hit his level of production and skill?
The hit rate has to be better than 1/10 right?
Otherwise we're screwed. I'd like to think it's closer to 50/50.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back